Where has the bushcraft gone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Not a lot of actual bushcraft chat here these days. Has it migrated somewhere else for the winter or is it going extinct?

One could argue that the rather off-topic discussion on the pros and cons of a vegan diet is actually very bushcraft; my own interest in the subject is really about what I should and can forage to survive.

There's a thread discussing cheap groundsheets, one about making bread, several examples and discussions on various crafts from Hamish's superb leatherwork to spoon carving - I suppose it all depends on what you consider to be 'bushcraft' (actually not a term I use very often).

It's probably that not as many people are out and about so there are fewer new people asking for advice and the current group of participants are relatively happy with their skills and abilities. I actually think there have been some very informative discussions going on over the last couple of months although I am disappointed that a number of longer serving members no longer seem to participate - I miss their knowledge resource.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Stew,
there are always peaks and troughs here as people come and go. This time of year, not so many people get out in the cold and wet. Saying that, there are still plenty of new threads on 'proper' bushy skills. Kepis on making some wooden snow goggles for example.
i guess over the years, the definition bushcraft has expanded on here to include a very broad range of subjects that may not have been talked about in the early days.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Cabin fever time :)

I know what you mean but it is there, swings and roundabouts. Got to admit I like a bit of diversity, makes life more interesting.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Cabin fever time :)

I know what you mean but it is there, swings and roundabouts. Got to admit I like a bit of diversity, makes life more interesting.

Reactions: Toddy

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I enjoyed this thread and the accompanying blog. It's fairly bushcrafty.

https://bushcraftuk.com/community/index.php?threads/christmas-camp-with-friends.148356/#post-1847409

I reckon most of us share interests, bushcraft Ray Mears style was a bit faddish. Many of us love the outdoors, tents, tarps, fires, but use them in different ways. It's a bit like BB, with a central focus that diversifies over time?

I've been out today, the south of England is a mire of mud and clinging damp, I haven't even bothered to take the stove with me to jolly things along.

Reactions: santaman2000

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
In my own case, it's blooming cold and sodden wet here. There's not a lot of fun to be had ploutering through treacherous icy slush and mud. Not much growing, though I'm eyeing up some willow that's needing cut and wondering what to use it for, but there's hope too. The first Spring flowers are trying hard to come through, the days are drawing out, but we really are sodden. So much so that there's a moorhen taking up residence in my front garden these days. It's happily pecking away under the bird feeders alongside the woodpigeons under the fat block thing the woodpecker feasts on.
My bushcraft has always rather been seasonally relevant, and seasonally active. All I'm up to just now is playing with cordage.....well, and planning of course :D

Reactions: JFW

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Toddy: any particular favorite plant species for cordage?

Ah, winter. Experimental dinners of experimental recipes. Lots of note taking.
As a gift to myself, I bought a Breville wood smoker gun so I can even fake that part!
Product review later on.

Flint knapping, copper forging and bow drill making without shivering my teeth loose in the rain.
It appears that we are not done with big snow (70cm+ overnight) and cold (-27C) with some places
enduring 90kph winds and 10M waves. Ought to be done by mid March. Maybe the coldest time of the year.

Absolute delight in watching the growing day length. Some house plants very responsive, too.
Have been doing a spell of post-op surgical recovery since New Years,
I'm told maybe 2 weeks and I can go home. Been a real drag some days. I have a serious list of things to do.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
As it wasnt raining today, I went fishing, very local to me. The sun even put in a guest appearance! Best part of the day though, without any doubt, was the frequent flypasts of a single kingfisher just above the S-shaped section of stream I was fishing. It seemed to be moving at 100mph, but the flash of blue wings/back at the first turn, and then the golden flash of the underside on the switchback was a real lift for me in these many dismal, wet, sodden days.

Sitting there quietly there were so many birds to watch that I almost didnt catch anything :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Toddy: any particular favorite plant species for cordage?

I like lime bast best, but it's hard to come by. I've been using up flax stricks though, and spinning up hemp fibre. Both are lovely to work with.
Willow bast is a long time favourite too. I like the way it feels and smells and handles. I have two big bunches of the iris leaves that I made the little basket from a couple of years ago, too. I really ought to turn those into rope.
I've been making a net for the sweet peas from hemp cord, just to keep my hand in, and it's so much nicer than the plastic stuff.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
" Where has Bushcraft gone?"

Judging by the closure of at least three 'Bushcraft' shops (as advertised) in my area, two are reborn as Paint Ball supplies

and the other is a cycle shop, I would say, look in the cupboard where the typewriters are.......:biggrin:

Reactions: Robson Valley

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
As it wasnt raining today, I went fishing, very local to me. The sun even put in a guest appearance! Best part of the day though, without any doubt, was the frequent flypasts of a single kingfisher just above the S-shaped section of stream I was fishing. It seemed to be moving at 100mph, but the flash of blue wings/back at the first turn, and then the golden flash of the underside on the switchback was a real lift for me in these many dismal, wet, sodden days.

Sitting there quietly there were so many birds to watch that I almost didnt catch anything :)

Sounds idyllic :D and the kind of chill out time we really, really need :cool:

I happily feed the birds and thoroughly enjoy watching them. My hearing is shot to hell, but I can hear every wee bird out there, and I'm learning their songs and chirps too.
They're already pairing up, you can see them flying in tandem and checking up to see where the other one is.
I'm fortunate in that I live next to a tree lined burn, so the range of birds is quite surprising at times :) but always a pleasure to spot them.

M

Reactions: JFW

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Yep, I was also feeding 'spare' maggots to a pair of friendly robins and a grey wagtail. It's only cupboard love, but they are so cute, friendly and tame it's impossible to ignore them! All this from a stream in a unkempt piece of woodland in NE Surrey....

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I'm itching to get outside even if it's just to cut bean poles for next season or put up my new bird boxes but work is keeping me chained to the computer until I can clear a backlog of jobs. I'm not too bothered though. I hate staring at a screen when it's sunny out but it's wetter than an otter's pocket and too muddy to get much done. I'll work now to earn some freedom later.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE