Where has the bushcraft gone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
So far this winter my outdoor activity's been limited to geocaching with Barbara. I took a shotgun on one trip but it was really too windy to expand our goal to squirrel hunting. I need to take James out before deer season't over.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Cabin Fever is about right. House has been full of flu and cold for the last month.
I bought my flights to Canada for a trip in November so the Wilderness was calling even from my sick bed.
I’m booked on a course to become a DofE assessor next month.
Have final part of my Army Cadet Instructor Training in March.
All jam tomorrow stuff on anything outdoorsy. ☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Genuine question (not just for the OP but for anyone) - what would be a 'bushcraft thread'?

I notice the OP has been a long time member, so I would guess he's aware of seasonal fluctuation so presumably he's commenting on, and has observed, something more than just a winter malaise, something that's been going on for some time?

So a genuine question for anyone (but specifically those who think the bushcraft quota is slipping) - what topics make a bushcraft thread?
There's an interesting (to me anyway) secondary question - what topics (that get discussed on this forum) are diluting the bushcraft purity?

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
There's not been a "Ventile" or "Best Bushcraft Knife" thread for a couple of weeks??

Is it the lack of so-called bushcrafty threads or simply reduced participation therein and partly a result of the less friendly site format?

Lastly, is all the hardcore debate happening in the Full Members only section?

K

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I remember a thread a few years back along the same line as this, one of the replies went something like this:- all of us, either by our actions or inactions, make this site what it is. If there aren't many posts on a subject you like, post threads on those subjects yourself and you can affect a change on the site.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
...all of us, either by our actions or inactions, make this site what it is. If there aren't many posts on a subject you like, post threads on those subjects yourself and you can affect a change on the site.

(my emphasis added)
And I'm pretty much of that thought myself.
I must say, I do have very little time for people who whine that internet forums don't have enough of the 'right' kind of posts.
There's a VERY simple solution to that.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
(my emphasis added)
I must say, I do have very little time for people who whine that internet forums don't have enough of the 'right' kind of posts.

Stew is a very long-serving member of this forum and has made more than his fair share of contribution to discussions; I don't think there was any whining going on, just a casual observation that the type of chat has changed.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Hmm...yes.
Maybe 'whine' was not quite the right word and a bit strong.
But I've just reminded myself of the OP and I still think the general response still stands - if you don't like the (current) content then add more of what you do like.

Reactions: Janne

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hopefully the OP will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the lament was a reference to fewer threads on basic topics such as fire lighting, foraging, etc.

I suppose part of the answer is with older members drifting to other subjects. After all, how many articles or threads do you need to read on making cordage before you've lost interest (at least temporarily) and begin to stop posting those threads? Then there's newer members; who's to say those aspects were ever their interests? I remember more than one thread basically asking just what the definition of bushcraft was.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
What my idea of bushcraft is and what your idea of bushcraft is are going to be very different things. I log on here most days [I have an indoor job, staring at a computer screen - with internet access - for 5 days a week] everytime I log in there is something interesting to read / see / learn, sure it may not fit into my idea of bushcraft but if that was all I wanted from this site I'd not learn as much as I have.

I came here originally looking for ideas on hobo stoves and fire boxes, but stayed because there was so much more.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
(my emphasis added)

I'm not whining, just asking. ;)

I suppose part of my question is actually if there is somewhere else that folk have gone to that I don't know about (possibly for good reason that I've not been told :D )

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Did you find it? :)
Yep! Although not the one I had been looking for. I was looking for an Australian slouch hat. I did indeed find that but the same company that makes them (Akubra) had such a wide range of hats I eventually settled on the Snowy River model instead. That hat's still going strong but I'm getting an itch for something new. What can I say? I like hats. LOL

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yep! Although not the one I had been looking for. I was looking for an Australian slouch hat. I did indeed find that but the same company that makes them (Akubra) had such a wide range of hats I eventually settled on the Snowy River model instead. That hat's still going strong but I'm getting an itch for something new. What can I say? I like hats. LOL

That's a nice hat! I'm committed to getting one from Hamish; I'm just trying to finalise the Celtic (as in the people not the football team) design :)

Reactions: santaman2000

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've got a thing for hats too. Aukbra ones are nice, Hamish's ones are simply beautiful to behold and I hope at some point I'll have enough spare cash to own one.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah, I like Hamish's work he's shared on here. Unfortunately leather would be too hot for me here. TBH even felt is pushing the envelope in summer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE