Water Purification

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sub5mango

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2019
East Anglia
Last edited:

Sub5mango

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2019
East Anglia
I have a Sawer; works fine but rarely use it TBH - depends how high up I am. Get a descent size bottle/bag.
The MSR one looks interesting but a bit too complicated for a simple task for me.
Thanks. I might well end up not using it much but feel it's a skill I would like to learn.

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
I use a Sawyer squeeze mini, bit of a faff when you want to fill up a bottle with freezing water but normally your bottles are topped up again in minutes. For the size, weight, cost and ease of operation I recommend it.

https://sawyer.com/products/mini-filter/

I also used it for bigger quantities, just let gravity do the work. I cut the bottom out of one of the bags it comes with so you can refill it like a millbank-bag (so you don't have to unscrew the actual filter from the bag after each liter)
51A7D080-7711-415E-987D-B66FF32FBD3C.jpeg

Reactions: Sub5mango

Sub5mango

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2019
East Anglia
I use a Sawyer squeeze mini, bit of a faff when you want to fill up a bottle with freezing water but normally your bottles are topped up again in minutes. For the size, weight, cost and ease of operation I recommend it.

https://sawyer.com/products/mini-filter/

I also used it for bigger quantities, just let gravity do the work. I cut the bottom out of one of the bags it comes with so you can refill it like a millbank-bag (so you don't have to unscrew the actual filter from the bag after each liter)
View attachment 56292
Thanks. I like the idea of gravity doing the work!

Reactions: Ruud

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I still like my Trailshot because it is so compact and allows me to use my usual water bottles. I'm intrigued by the Katadyn BeFree. Although the flow rate on my Trailshot is fine, in an ideal world, something a little quicker would appeal; maybe it is worth giving the Katadyn a try...?

I stopped using the Sawyer a while back because it was a fiddle to use, with the narrow-necked bottle and then squeezing it into a water bottle. I'm sure that they have sorted out that bit but the Trailshot slipped in in its stead.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE