'super' firesteels

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Has anyone have any experience of the Strikeforce and the Sparkie Fire Starters?

Do they require you to 'squeeze' them to create a spark like the blastmatch?

I ask as swmbo is looking for an alternative to a std firesteel as she has problems applying enough force with her thumbs now. We looked at the blast match at the outdoors show (which I had wondered as an answer) and were both not as impressed as we thought we would be as it was quite difficult to create a spark as you had to squeeze the striker against the steel and press at the same time.

I have created a large handled firesteel and tried to teach her to pull it against the blade but she finds it awkward and cankhanded...... :dunno:

any other suggestions??

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
How about a large firesteel and prime it a few times on the downward stroke, but not to the end, on the last downward stroke go all the way, that way there is a large spark.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
cheers Rich - that's the strikeforce out the equation then..... it's just a firesteel and striker with big black plastic handles :rolleyes:

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
just found a youtube video on the sparkie - looks like that may be a possibility

anyone actually seen one in the flesh? / used one - I'd much rather get a personal recomendation from someone I trust on here than a 'salesman';)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
A few years ago I bought a swan re-fillable lighter that has a replaceable flint wheel to light the lighter. It only took me a few seconds to realised that the flint wheel could be removed and used to light stuff without the presence of the rest of the lighter. Basically the flint wheel comes on an inch and a bit long plastic stick which you can hold then run the wheel down your finger to release a shower of sparks. I don't know if anyone else has tried that and whether you think it could be used as a simple, cheap and easily used fire lighter? It might even be easier for your better half to use G4GHB.

These lighters have a solid coloured, round body with a brassy coloured top to the lighter. It is not flame height adjustable, The base has a re-filling hole in the round base. If that helps you find the one I mean. The good thing is you can buy the flints separately so you don't actually need to get the lighter..

I think somone else has had the same idea as about a year ago (over 6 years after I came up with the idea) I spotted Adventure Medical Kits do something similar called the Sparklite.

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com...Lite™ Firestarter & Tinder-Quik™#

Let me know what you think, I'm curious if I'm just being a bit daft with this idea.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I figured that it would make a good emergency back up for my gas stove's PZ igniter (that has never failed) or the matches I carry or the ciggie lighter I carry or the back-up ciggie lighter I carry as well or the firesteel I always have in my pack. Basically if all that fails then out would come the wheel flint.

Hmmm! I think I have too many back-ups there. Especially since I also have a knife so could always make a bowdrill thingy too. I guess I just like to be able to set fire to things at all times while out in the fells.

BTW I don't know if others think there is a difference between different brand firesteels but I lost my LMF scout firesteel a while ago. It is somewhere among all my outdoors gear, somewhere in one of my storage rooms (in other words could be in any room in my house). Anyhow I saw the vango one so bought it. It has the striker with a series of teeths on the striking edge. As always it takes a few scrapes to clear the black off the rod before the sparks start working properly. Indeed since it was teeth in contact not a groove as in the LMF version it took more scrapes to get it clear and sparking well. But I tested it on lighting my can top gas stove. I usually struggle a bit with the LMF one but the vango one lit after about the 3rd strike. I don't know what others think, but are some fire steels better than others. I guess the rod is basically the same material but is there a best design forthe striker?

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
A few years ago I bought a swan re-fillable lighter that has a replaceable flint wheel to light the lighter. It only took me a few seconds to realised that the flint wheel could be removed and used to light stuff without the presence of the rest of the lighter. Basically the flint wheel comes on an inch and a bit long plastic stick which you can hold then run the wheel down your finger to release a shower of sparks. I don't know if anyone else has tried that and whether you think it could be used as a simple, cheap and easily used fire lighter?

Let me know what you think, I'm curious if I'm just being a bit daft with this idea.

I've had this in my Tinder tin awhile now and it works fine
You can see the char cloth still glowing and the sulphur match lit
clipperspark.jpg

The flint wheel insert from a clipper lighter, the plastic shaved to fit the shorter of the two 3/16" brass tubes soft soldered together. In use a small piece of char cloth is rolled and pushed up the longer tube, with a nail cut off for the purpose, untill it just sticks out the top then with the flick of the wheel it's lit by the sparks and pushed all the way out, with the nail. Then I touch it with a sulphur match and give a quick blow and the match is lit, or it could be dropped into a tinder bundle ?
cheers Danny

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
get a really good striker for the 'light my fire' fire steel, something with a big handle and a carbide tip , she should get really good sparks with a lot less effort. try the corona striker on this site page. Its the dogs dingdongs!!!!
http://bepreparedtosurvive.com/FirestarterProducts.htm

Fully agree, I have one (courtesy of Monk) and you can also sharpen your knife with it. W.r.t. the firesteel, there is a thing called the blastmatch that works by squeezing and pushing down the case, allowing single hand operation, see: http://www.campist.com/archives/ultimate-survival-technologies-blastmatch-fire-sta.html

The quality of the firesteel is excellent.

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
hi, just a thought, you could use a spark pistol thats what they use for gas welding for lighting the torch, i had a play in the garage with one and it will light toilet roll, and it uses standard flints. i have a spare if you send me a pm il send it f.o.c as its for your good lady. carl

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
hi, just a thought, you could use a spark pistol thats what they use for gas welding for lighting the torch, i had a play in the garage with one and it will light toilet roll, and it uses standard flints. i have a spare if you send me a pm il send it f.o.c as its for your good lady. carl

So, you spend time in the garage igniting toilet rols?:D

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire

That is really kind of you Mitch - it's acts of kindness like this that make this such a wonderful place. Thank you!

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
So, you spend time in the garage igniting toilet rols?:D
thank's mastino:lmao: only since ive found this forum, apart from the one time i was welding in the garage with the tig set:togo: first time i used my fire piston id made was close didnt think it would work first time. apart from that think thats about it, but hay there's always tomorrow:) have you tride the spark gun yet. later carl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE