Skills to learn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MickeyW

Nov 19, 2014
South Wales
Hello,

Typed this once but something happened so forgive me if you see it twice!

What core skills would you seasoned guys recommend a budding outdoorsman like myself learn first. I have the basic kit (i think) and will pack it up and head out this weekend (weather permitting) but where would be a good place to start.

Cheers,

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Getting your basic comforts and needs sorted out would be where I would start. So food and water (what to take and how to take it). Then how will you prepare it (eat it cold or cook over a fire or in a pot of some kind). Which takes us to heat and shelter. Are you intending on having a fire (are you allowed on your permission?) if so fuel procurement and fire starting and maintaining it efficiently. And shelter, are you staying out over night, do you just need a windbreak to have a brew in, or are you setting up camp.

If you get your basic needs pyramid sorted then everything else is just gravy and will come with time. Also very rarely will someone get it right first time, most of us tinker away all through our lives. So set some easily attainable goals, have fun and stay safe then come back and see where you could improve.

Sorry if it sounds a bit of a collection of broad statements but it's generally how I'd start off something new.

Hope you have fun and look forward to hearing of your adventure.

ATB,
GB.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Good advice above. Firelighting is a basic skill applicable whether you are using an open fire or a stove. Ability to put up a shelter (tent, tarp, natural), in relatively quick time (note that this may include learning knots). Ensure you have a water supply (carry it or be able to collect, filter and purify it. Then get yourself comfortable, which may mean cooking a meal, but includes sitting down, and a sleep set-up if you are staying overnight.

For me, bushcraft is about being comfortable outdoors, which means food water and shelter, with relative ease and comfort.

Go out and do it, then consider what you would do differently next time, and if at any time you find yourself thinking "I wish..." then you have learned something for next time.

Last edited:

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Good advice from GB and HM, I would add that once you're at camp and all set up that is when you have a go at a new skillset, so that you are not relying on the new skill to get comfy.
ie: once the fire is under way via a lighter or matches, practice the flint and steel or bow drill technique you want to use next time. It takes the pressure off and lets you enjoy the journey more.

Rob

MickeyW

Nov 19, 2014
South Wales
Thanks guys! Given me something to think about. I the weather hold this weekend ill be giving it a go.
Thanks for the advice and ill keep you posted on my progress!.....

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
It helps if you know what you think you'll be doing in the future:
- Will you be doing long hikes with overnight camps?
- Will you be going to a place and stay there for just a weekend?
- Will the weight of your gear be an important factor for the activities you have in mind?
- Will you be going out on your own or with more people?

This way you can choose:
- to go for lightweight gear and work on skills that help you to stay comfortable without heavier gear: a tarp instead of a tent (learn knots), a small cooking pot instead of a dutch oven (different pothangers to carve), making a bucksaw, batonning instead of an axe/hatchet and so on.

- to go for heavier kit since you don't have to be hauling it for long distances (canootrips)

Basic skills cover lighting a fire in all circumstances (using a firesteel for this gives you a good understanding of which tinders work the best), purifying water, setting up a stormproof shelter, staying warm and dry.

When you're all set you can see for yourself which skills can be also helpful or fun to do (carving utensils, fishing, making natural cordage, bowdrill ... )

The fact that you are eager to actually set out to do things is the most important, you got that already covered!

Have fun!

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
From the introduction of Mors Kochanski's book "Bushcraft"...

"Fire is the most useful and important skill in basic bush living, particularly in the cold. It warms and dries, makes water and food safe, and transforms any place in the forest into a home."

MickeyW

Nov 19, 2014
South Wales
This sounds very sensible and to be honest i would most likely have just gone gun-hoe and started off on the wrong foot....and thus...likely given up when i started struggling! I have a basha and some paracord. I am learning knots but my trusty Ray Mears Outdoor Survival book and Bear Grylls app with videos will be close at hand. I think getting the tarp up will be good enough for me.....if i manage to get a fire started...its a bonus (and a fluke)!

Last edited:

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it yet but clue yourself up on basic knife and axe safety and what techniques to use for particular applications.

Bindle

Tenderfoot
Oct 10, 2014
The Mendips
Maslow had it right. Google Maslows hierarchy of needs.

As to where you should start, have you thought about your garden?

Last edited:

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
PATIENCE, establishing it in a stressful moment. Tobacco, lollypop, chew gum, make a cup of tea or..if you do it normaly talk to a tree do whatever will calm you down.
Access situation, how you got into it, your health, your kit, what you want to accomplish.
Take it easy, take it any way you can, its not the end of the world...if it is enjoy the ride.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
PATIENCE, establishing it in a stressful moment. Tobacco, lollypop, chew gum, make a cup of tea or..if you do it normaly talk to a tree do whatever will calm you down.

Aye, there's one I live my life by......"if you can get a brew or a smoke on then it can't be THAT bad so don't moan"

Op, if you think you will really struggle to get a fire going then there's no shame in chucking a hexy block or sommat in there to to give it a head start
Failing to light a fire is really demoralizing. even more so early on in your bushcrafting career

I think the three most common mistakes in firelighting are.

not enough materials for each stage of the fire....when you think you have enough tinder, kindling, ect.....get the same amount again. Esp in damp weather

And then its suffocating the fire, esp in its early stages....when you make up your kindling bundle make sure there's plenty of air gaps in it so the fire can do its thing unhindered

Mors kochanski had a great description in one of his vids, He says of kindling...
....Add a "hug" sized bundle with enough room to poke your finger in the gaps to let the fire through

And finally its rushing the job. same as the first one.....when you think you've done enough prep, do the same amount again
Perhaps even go make a brew on your stove and come back to it

MickeyW

Nov 19, 2014
South Wales
Awesome...tomorrow is the day. Got some knots under my belt, fire steel is a go (got a fire going in the garden today) and taking a flask with me as well as my canteen in case I don't get anywhere. Let you all know.

Tom Gold

Forager
Nov 2, 2012
Scotland
www.thetreeline.co.uk
Mickey,

At this time of year I'd place sourcing and prepping usable firewood among my core skills. To this end I'd be thinking of how to spot dead, dry timber that is off the ground (ie hung up in the branches) and how to 'batton' it and split it. I'd also be practising 'feather sticks' since you cant always rely on find snap-crackle-pop dry twigs in wet woodland.

Have good day out there mate!

T

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Get yourself clued up on first aid, then put together a good basic kit to suit your level of knowledge. Certainly the ability to manage cuts, burns and other minor (if dealt with correctly and promptly) accidents :)

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Feed your curiosity...

Grab a handful of disposable nappy sacks/ freezer bags and on your wanderings collect what you think would make for good firestarting material, seed heads, plant stems, fungi, bark scrapings etc so you can practice of an evening at home when it's not practical to be up the woods.

MickeyW

Nov 19, 2014
South Wales
Cool. Some good ideas to keep me going for a while I think. Had my first trip out today. Got the basha set up twice (learned a lesson the first time around) and got a fire going but didn't have time to brew a cuppa. I left it a bit late going out and the light was failing. So, lessons learned...

1. Don't pitch the tarp too high because you end up doing it twice.
2. Don't take the dog because she will pinch all of your fire fuel for natures chew toy.
3. Smoke will find you even if you sit upwind so don't try to escape.
4. Never leave home without cotton wool! At least until you know what you are doing with tinder.
5. Leave earlier next time!

All in all an enjoyable time! Can't wait to get out again! Wanted to put some pics below for "critiques" but have absolutely no clue how to do it!

MickeyW

Nov 19, 2014
South Wales
Maslow had it right. Google Maslows hierarchy of needs.

As to where you should start, have you thought about your garden?

I did think about the garden! But i pretty much live in the mountain. It is literally a 5 minute walk and i am there so i wasn't too far away from home.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE