1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Razor Clam hunting in Torbay?

Discussion in 'Bushcraft Chatter' started by Gmb27, Jul 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Gmb27

Gmb27 New Member

Hi folks, as a child I remember digging for razor clams and cooking them right there on the sand. My daughter recently saw this on TV and is now fixated with trying it for herself. We live in Torbay but I’ve never tried down this way and I’m hoping somebody could give me a steer towards any beaches in this area that we could find them on as I haven’t a clue where to start looking? Thanks!!

2. Woody girl

Woody girl Full Member

Paignton sands preston sands and broadsands are known to have razor clams. You need a very low tide mind as they are quite far out... and Wear something on your feet as the dead shells have been known to lacerated bare feet. Happy hunting!

3. Nice65

Nice65 Full Member

Pot of salt and you won’t need to dig. :)

ProjeKtWEREWOLF and Clayze like this.
  4. Robson Valley

Robson Valley Full Member

Save a few for me. We've been hit with a whole west coast ban on shellfishing = Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning (again).

5. Seagull

Seagull Settler

As I have said in the past, it has been my experience that the best, sure-fire way of getting razors, is to wander into any tackle shop, unannounced, and ask for a packet of lugworms........and they always reply that they have none, but do have plenty of razor fish...and, even the not-so-fresh ones are still very tasty when flash fried.
    Regards
    Ceeg

6. Nice65

Nice65 Full Member

That’s no fun! :D

I liked this vid by Nobby of these parts, getting the kids up and out for a forage in the beach.