Maps for walking - what type and where to buy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
Hi all

I'd like to buy a map that'll help me know where I am and where to go when walking. The little I know tells me I need an OS map. I'm looking for maps that have landmarks and altitude contours (is that the correct term?) to indicate hills and valleys.

Where is the best place to get these, is it http://leisure.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/ ? Also, what scale should I purchase?

Thanks for any advice.
Bernie

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
what you want is the OS orange explorer map 1 to 25.000 maps please note there is a OS purple land ranger map version 1 to 50.000 which you dont want and i find the best place and cheapest place to get them is waterstones book shop but you might find different also you can use the land ranger ones its just the scale is two far out and not in depth enough if you want to do some proper hill walking but if you just want a map of you local area to go on the wall its mint. Now if like you said you want to do the hill walking go for the explorer map and you will be fine.

hope this helps

drew

Last edited:

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
I'm sure someone better qualified can suggest which maps to go for, but Ordanance Survey are doing both their OS Explorer & Landranger maps on offer, 3 for 2

Crowe

Nomad
Jan 18, 2008
Noewich. Now living in Limosin France
The 1:2500 series show the footpaths and bridalways and are considered the gold standard for walkers.
1:50 000 series are just about adequate. Of course they cover a greater area on the sheet, but have less detail.
Search <OS Map> for various suppliers at discount. You might find it useful to get some sort of basic instruction or map reading guide. Once you grab the basics the advanced will come with practise. The compass bit can come later
' The man with a map, has a window to adventure'
Hope this helps
Crowe

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Unless I'm walking high in the hills (where a mistake could mean injury) the 1:50000 scale are fine for pottering around the countryside. Pretty much all footbaths and landmarks are marked and it has contour lines for height etc.

One option is to purchase software such as Memory Map or Anquet which will let you print off maps at home direct from your PC - means you can download the maps you want and focus on particular areas.

Have a look at this link:

http://www.multimap.com/s/zLxxfsB1

That shows a 1:50000 scale map of Exmouth - it gives you an idea of the level of detail available. Print off a couple of local walks and try following the map - if you find you need more detail then go for the 1:25000, but you might find this scale is sufficient.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i go for the 1:25000 as i like the slightly finer detail. there are more then the more walked paths listed on there i.e. the stuff thats essentially a goat trail and other bits.
smaller area's then the 50's but i like em for the detail.

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
Wow, thanks for all the advice. I've spoken to someone in the office as well and it seems I'm going to want the 1:25,000 scale.

As for reading the maps; I don't think I'll have too much trouble there - I had some training in the South African infantry (back when they had compulsory service). Although that was a lifetime ago, I'm sure the basics have not been forgotten. I'll test my skills and knowledge as soon as I get one of these maps in my grubby paws. :)

Thanks again for all the advice and encouragement.
b

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
1:50 000 series are just about adequate.

Sorry Crowe, but if the 50k series are just about adequate, you need to up your map reading skills.

8 fig grids are no problem at all with 50k maps. There is plenty of info on them. I find them easier to read than the 25k series as the contours are presented better. Horses for courses.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Depending on where you will be walking dont automatacilly grab an OS sheet (very good though they are) as Haveys offer so excellent rival mapping of particular note is there range covering the uk long distance walk paths and contain the whole route on one waterproof map sheet rather than carrying dozens of OS sheets.

The OS also do an opion online called os select where you can define the centre of the sheet and they then print it off for you and send it. I have one centred on my house for dog walks. Only down side is they wont contain any magnetic variation data as they cover several sheets to do this

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
If there is a Harvey's map for the area you ar going to then I would recommend that. They have one for Dartmoor - nearyou - which I'll be using in a couple of weeks time for a treek across the moor.

Harveys beats OS in my opinion for clarity and useful information. I also like 1:40,000 scale they use - I find the OS 1:25:000 a but too large scale and the 1:50,000 a bit too small scale. 1:40,000 seems just about right.

Harveys are also good for the popular long distance walks where they do the whole walk as a strip map. I used their map for the Hadrians wall path last year - just one map needed where i would have needed 5 or 6 1:25,000 OS maps.

And lastly, Harveys do a great polyethelyne version - waterproof, almost indestructible and light!

By the way, if you are buying OS 1:25,000's , get the laminated versions. Twice the price but waterproof and a lot tougher than paper. A paper map can easily get destroyed in one trek , even if it doesn't get wet! And if it does get wet you could be stuck in the back of beyond without a readable map!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
OS and Harveys are probably the two main options however certain areas have the BMC maps which are basically the Harvey's 1:40k scale walkers maps in a different presentation with loads of extra info relevant to people who go out into the hilly or wilder areas. They have geological maps on the back along with certain areas of the map in 1:15 scale or greater for safety reasons. For example the Ben Nevis ones has a large scale map complete with the correct safety bearings to avoid the gullies in the clag.

However the Harveys SUperwalker maps in 1:25k scale are also good. Note OS and Harveys do things differently so users switching often take a bit of time to get used to the newer options. For my patch I have both OS and Harveys Superwalkers plus the BMC maps and I just take whichever I feel like taking (or all of them). Then I just leave them in my sack and don't look at them all day. Works for me but only on my patch (Lakes) as I know it so well. I guess thats the problem with living so long in one area, you learn it too well.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I use the 1:25000 whenever I can but if in Scotland's mountains or in places where there is not much in the way of walls and fences, I find the 1:50000 gives a more immediate impression of the topography from its contours. In lowland areas the 1:25000 wins out as it has field boundaries.

Ryecroft

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 26, 2007
North Shropshire
I always use OS Explorer, and used to get them from mapkiosk.com, but those prices on dash4it are amazing - so thanks for the link.

Best thing to do is go to a good stockist such as waterstones, look at the harveys and os maps of the same area, and see which you feel more comfortable with, see which one you find easier to understand.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE