Looking for a good survival course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 24, 2016
Regno Unito
Hello all!

I would like to attend a survival course but I've never done one before, so I'm here for asking you some advices and some useful tesimonials if possible. I don't know many survival schools in uk, but I've just seen one, it is call Wilderness Survival Skills, the webside looks very good, even the courses look very well structured, has anyone of you ever done one of their course, or even heard about them? same questions about the Trueways Survival Course, anyone? These are the only two impressed me quite favourably, But if you guys feel to suggest me others schools please do not hesitate, I really need some good advices because I don't want to waste my money.

Thank you very much in advance

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Don't be disheartened Max,
Just because there are no replies, does not mean that people are actively ignoring you - there will be only a few members who will have attended the courses that you have mentioned, and maybe they've not been on the forum recently enough to have seen your question.
It might also help if we knew what sort of skills you already have and what you are looking to learn on such a course, your age, location, willingness to travel and so on.
Many here are self-taught, either enjoying the challenge of experimentation, or simply cannot afford the prices charged by many of the big-name schools.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Willcurrie

Aug 2, 2015
Argyll
Not sure what area you are looking for but I attended the backwoodsman course at http://www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk/ towards the end of last year. Patrick was a great teacher and I found the course excellent if a little tougher than expected (short daylight hours, long wet days). I'm planning to be going on another with them in April.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Survivalschool do their course ( The Journeyman I think? Check out the web site. ) I have done a trip and a course with them
and was very impressed.
Head man Johnny Crockett is a very nice guy, give him a bell and have a chat maybe.

Good luck.

C

Jan 24, 2016
Regno Unito
I'm 32 years old, living in London, so looking for some course in England. I like wild camping, so my tent, sleeping back and my love for nature. Interested in surivival course rather than Bushcraft. I would like to learn good survival skills, and I think a course would be a great solution. I' would like to spend not more than 400-500 pound. thank you

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
I'm probably wrong, but surely survival courses are going to be geared around the concept of not having a tent, sleeping bag etc

bowji john

Silver Trader
I'm sure you have done your research and know what you want

I'm pointing no fingers at anyone or any provider, However -

It is my experience that ''survival courses'' - other than those specifically run for certain branches of the military - tend to offer a shallow understanding of a few gimmicky techniques that are borrowed straight out of primitive and outdoor living skills.

If you want a pseudo tough man course with little learned - go on a survival course

If you want to learn about the outdoors and need some basic skills to enable you to live, over an extended period, in the bush in relative comfort & be able to apply those skills in a survival situation - do a good quality outdoor living (bushcraft) course

Some of the best schools, in addition to basic courses offer 5 or 6 day experiences where you are required to live primitively and 'survive' with just your skills, knowledge and a few basic tools

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Hi and welcome to the forum!

I agree with what Bowji John says about the range of courses on offer and it really depends what you are hoping to get out of the course. Don't be put off by the term "bushcraft" after all, survival skills are the most important elements of bushcraft and you are unlikely to get onto weaving your own trousers out of nettles or hand forging your own knife on a basic introduction course.

No experience of the survival schools you mention but many years ago I did attend a course for people working as expedition managers in remote parts of the world run by Ben McNutt at Woodsmoke in the Lake District. Ben is a top bloke and talented artist (he illustrated Ray Mears' Essential Bushcraft book and has a similar ethos), and runs a wide range of courses and expeditions in the UK and abroad. Woodsmoke's weekend Trailbreaker Bushcraft and Survival course is well within your budget and other more advanced courses are available - I have no connection with Woodsmoke other than as a satisfied former customer.

http://www.woodsmoke.uk.com/courses/trailbreaker-bushcraft/

Alternatively, if you are looking at acquiring skills to give you greater confidence backpacking and camping in the UK, you could do worse than doing one of the Mountain Leadership type courses run at places like Plas y Brenin which if combined with a first aid course will give you pretty much all the skills you are likely to need and, if you also follow through with the assessment, a recognised leadership qualification.

Good luck and whatever course you choose, let us know how you got on.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
A friend of mine has helped on some of the Woodsmoke courses and while they are a very good bushcraft school, the courses he did, Expedition Vehicle Mechanics and Drown-proofing would certainly be relevant survival skills in some places.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
A friend of mine has helped on some of the Woodsmoke courses and while they are a very good bushcraft school, the courses he did, Expedition Vehicle Mechanics and Drown-proofing would certainly be relevant survival skills in some places.

I did the week-long Woodsmoke course many years ago. Best course I've ever been on! Excellent quality training but a"bushcraft" course rather than a "survival" course (IMHO far more useful!) one of the instructors described how he saw the difference between bushcraft and survival with the phrase: "survival means you're in the outdoors and want to get the hell out; bushcraft means you're in the outdoors and want to chill the hell out." Works for me.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Some of the advice in this article might be of use. Paid Courses

The bottom lies is that the onus is always going to be on you to research a school and the courses so that you feel like you're getting something that matches up with your expectations and your wallet, the schools mentioned in this thread already are great school, Ben and Lisa from woodsmoke are amazing and there's other amazing instructors out there.

Give some schools a call after you've written down for yourself what you're after from a course and they'll be more than happy to help you or advise you.

It's been mentioned earlier as well that there's a difference between bushcraft and survival courses, again, make sure you've got it straight in your own mind what you're aiming for, there is some overlap but there can be some steak differences as well.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
A few years ago now, I went on a survival course run by Andy Wood at Bushcraft Expeditions. Having done his stuff as a combat survival instructor in the SAS, there was certainly a slight military tinge to it all but the instruction was first class and with an orientation to more bushcrafty skills. The following year, I returned and did the follow-up course which was similarly excellent.

As I said, that was a few years ago now and I know that Woody does a lot of work for television and abroad, so I cannot say whether he still runs the courses but he is definitely worth a look. I think you'll find him on www.bushcraftexpeditions.com .

Good luck!

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
I did a 5day basic to advanced course with Trueways, last March.
It was a survival course, rather than bushcraft. Based on the scenario of having to survive after an incident, on minimal kit, for 72hours.
We started off camping as a group, but as we learned new skills, we would give up kit and start improvising. The last 36hrs was run as an individual assessment, where you would go out and practice all the things you have learned.

I had plenty of camping experience and some bushcraft skills, practiced in the garden. But the course impressed the priorities and gave the chance to try things out in as close to a real situation as possible.
My course was run by Conrad, who is their chief instructor. And an excellent week it was. So I can recommend them highly.

Jules

Jan 24, 2016
Regno Unito
Thank you all guys, you gave me very important advices. I haven't decide yet, I'm still very attracted by Wilderness Survival Skills, in particular by the Wilderness Awakening - Five Day Fundamental Course,it looks so good but I haven't read any testimonials or comment about it, so not sure. I also really like the handsonbushcraft school, "In Touch with Nature – Weeklong Course", and the Trailbreaker Bushcraft & Survival Course of the Woodsmoke school, some of you talk very good about it. Trueways 5 day basic looks very good too. It's gonna be a tough decision for me.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Where would it be and under what conditions would you like to survive?

1. Do a damn good First Aid course. You may need to help others. I need a refresher.
2. A bunch of shake-down wilderness treks with others to mentor your selection of kit. This worked the best for me.
3. Depending on your travels, maybe something like a specialized course studying snow conditions for avalanche safety.
Jan.29, mid day, 18 people were hit here (Renshaw/McBride) by an av maybe 800+ yds wide. Five men died.
Nobody sleds stupid anymore here, they were all experienced and very well equipped.

peds8045

Sep 4, 2005
Telford, Shropshire
I second the Woodsmoke courses. I Have completed two courses with them and they were both excellent. The first was Woodlander and the second was the Native course. No connection with them other than satisfied customer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE