Looking for a .25 air rifle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Would like a sub 12fpbs .25 brake barrel rifle, a carbine would be best but not a must also non handed as I like to shoot from both sides but its also not a must, so WHY and what would you like?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Sub 12 foot pound air rifles have a kind of droopy trajectory even in .22. Would be worse with .25.
Not entirely sure I'd want to bother with. 25.
Is there a particular reason you want it in that caliber?

For some strange reason I keep buying .22 myself but .177 would shoot flatter and its not as if I'm lamping rabbits anymore

Reactions: shaneh
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Sub 12 foot pound air rifles have a kind of droopy trajectory even in .22. Would be worse with .25.
Not entirely sure I'd want to bother with. 25.
Is there a particular reason you want it in that caliber?

For some strange reason I keep buying .22 myself but .177 would shoot flatter and its not as if I'm lamping rabbits anymore
Yip I know about the trajectory, I want a big slapper over a short range.
Ho and 177 is for pistols :p

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I watched a YouTube of a ratting guy who wanted more impact because his .177 was just drilling holes. He converted his rifle to .25 and went out to shoot. The camera twice shows the rat leaping into the air at the sound of the discharge, avoiding the pellet completely. :D

So yeah, it’ll be a short range high impact.

I’m after a Diana N-Tech gas rammer, and I think I’m going .177 this time. I’ll need to shoot one first to see how the ram copes with such a light pellet. My usual rifle choice has always been .22 mid weight pellet, but I had a lot of fun with a .177 BSA Ultra SE using JSB Heavies.

https://www.gunmart.net/gun-reviews/airguns/air-rifles/diana-340-n-tec-premium-pro-compact

chandelierman

Forager
Dec 14, 2018
essex
Splash out and get yourself a Leshiy ... you can swap barrel sizes in 2 mins .... it is very compact with a 250mm barrel as stock but you can buy 350mm barrels ... they are also power adjustable ... barrels are available in .177 / .20 / .22 / .25 / .30
I’ve got one but don’t know how to upload pics

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Splash out and get yourself a Leshiy ... you can swap barrel sizes in 2 mins .... it is very compact with a 250mm barrel as stock but you can buy 350mm barrels ... they are also power adjustable ... barrels are available in .177 / .20 / .22 / .25 / .30
I’ve got one but don’t know how to upload pics

They look fun. Super tactical.

Reactions: chandelierman

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
Unless you are going to hit targets at exactly the same range as your Zero your weapon, the .25 has a higher % chance of a miss, (without calculation) due to the huge trajectory loop.

If you use .177 the trajectory is flatter and more forgiving (without accurate target distance)

This is all you need to know!

I have hit Rabbit at 50m with a .177 = Instant death...

It has nothing to do with how heavy the pellet is or the pellets size. Just perfect placement! A .25 pellet will do the same damage at 50m if it's perfectly placed.

You can use a .25 pellet, you just need to know EXACTLY how far you target is, and where to aim. Which takes training and practice. A good scope with graduations helps.

Size of pellet is irrelevant , A good airrifle that's performing consistently in FPS with a good scope combination. Practice at different ranges and make an accurate range / predicted trajectory card is way more important.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Yeah, knowing ST this isn’t going to be a hunter, it’s going to be a tin can smasher. :D
Spot on its just for thumping tin! But thanks to those giving advice, only been owning and fettling air guns for years:p Thing is if you can get a good balance between the way the cylinder ram / spring,seal and fuel works then get that to balance well with the transfer port and barrel length even the mortar like .25 can work better, think I might look at a Hatsan striker if nothing old school turns up.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Spot on its just for thumping tin! But thanks to those giving advice, only been owning and fettling air guns for years:p Thing is if you can get a good balance between the way the cylinder ram / spring,seal and fuel works then get that to balance well with the transfer port and barrel length even the mortar like .25 can work better, think I'm might look at a Hatsan striker if nothing old school turns up.

I’ve got a spinner set in the cupboard if it’s any use to you. I bought it for my .22 HW97, but I think from the weight of the spinners it might have been designed for rimfire .22.

Edit: yep, rimfire. I’m not sure the .25 will punch it hard enough to reset it, but you’re welcome to it if you want it.

50228793-7195-4787-BDBA-69-CA63-FDEB2-F.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
I’ve got a spinner set in the cupboard if it’s any use to you. I bought it for my .22 HW97, but I think from the weight of the spinners it might have been designed for rimfire .22.

Edit: yep, rimfire. I’m not sure the .25 will punch it hard enough to reset it, but you’re welcome to it if you want it.

50228793-7195-4787-BDBA-69-CA63-FDEB2-F.jpg
That's kind of you Nice, Yer that could be put to use thank you! and if not of use to me, my brother and my mate Mag have a lot of guns so will not be wasted!

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
Sorry, it was quite a while ago, it was .20 not .25, so actually, the best of both worlds! Some of the wack of a .22 with the low trajectory of a.177.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE