Leuku or Hatchet?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
A question for the wise of you. Sorry if this has been done to death before but I couldn't find anything.

If you were traveling on foot through the northern Borial for a few months which would you rather take and why?

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
It really comes down to personal choice. Personally I always prefer a machete over an axe, and a leuku is a comparable tool. But that's purely because I have much more practice and confidence with a blade over an axe and find them more versatile. For example I find I can clear thick stuff and thin stuff with a long broad blade but only the heavy duty stuff with an axe. Of course boreal forests may be heavier stuff generally speaking to clear. Personally though, I just carry both :)

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
I'd go for an axe with a 0.5 m-ish handle. It offers better control than a small one (when chopping wood etc)....

Made a Leuku with a 27 cm blade....but not sure what I will use it for, though. Also, machetes makes my butt look big.

To each, his own...

Greger

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Personal choice but I hate using axes so use a Leuko 7 but others use 9 inch or I use mostly now a Chris Caine survival companion

If I lived in Canada in the winter more than likely an axe would be top priority but I don't need a lot of fire wood or a cabin built with my bushcraft/hillwalking hobbies.

Last edited:

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
As an individual then: Small knife/Multitool and a Silky saw.
By foot then weight is a massive consideration and no axe is worth its weight other than short jaunts from the truck or a base camp.

For a large party of people then:
Personal small knives and Multitools.
Saw, bow or large Silky 270 or above.
Small Forest Axe.
Skrama.
Felling Axe (no need for small forest axe).
Digging tool.

Party of two:
Personal small knife, multitool.
Silky Saw 270 or bigger.
Skrama.

In truth on well trodden go faster trails you may get away with just a small personal knife like a Spyderco Military folder and a SAK Huntsman for backup and personal admin. National parks don't like their forests chopped up and many not keen on fires if they allow them at all.

You pack it you carry it.

Reno Lewis

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia, Canada
Depends on what other tools you will have.

I'd be most happy with a Scandi sized axe (20-24" long), an 8-9" Leuku (I love my thick, hand forged custom leukus, but my 8" Stromeng is my favorite user), and a small blade like a puukko or a Hultafors HVK (or any comparable blade).

Don't forget a decent saw either though, it makes otherwise dangerous work easy and safe. I'm on Search and Rescue here in Canada, and we work in all weather conditions and all through the night. Using an axe (or a big blade), in the rainy dark, especially while exhausted, can be immensely risky. A saw reduces that risk greatly, and saves energy. Handy bit of kit to have on hand for sure.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Definitely an axe for me. I'd be confident in a knife providing almost equal service IF I had confidence that the areas I were in were mostly untouched. In my experience, coniferous forests tend to have a lot of dead wood on the ground and dead standing wood, giving ample fuel that can be split down with a mora.

I made the mistake of assuming that would be the case on a trip a little while ago, but it was towards the end of summer and the smaller wood had all been picked clean over the year. Luckily, it was a car-camping trip and I had an axe and saw (a couple axes, actually). I don't go into woods I stand a chance of getting lost/disconnected in without some kind of axe, even for a day trip. I definitely wouldn't go into a forest for a couple months without, say, a boy's axe and a saw. One wet day of trying to use a knife (even a big knife) to buck and split 6+ inch logs would probably convince most of the logic in this.

That being said, there are extremes and experience/skill is no exception - an axe will always be more effective for lots of wood processing than a knife, but someone with no axe experience might be better off with a big knife just for safety's sake - but if you don't have any skill with an axe, my personal recommendation would be don't go on a 2-3 month hike through the woods. Similarly, there's folks out there with enough experience and skill to do with a pocket axe what many of us couldn't easily do with a felling axe.

All of this assumes that a decent amount of firewood processing is necessary. Plenty of folks do long backpacking trips with no fires, which of course makes all of the above irrelevant. For me, I'm not going to hike 10 hours a day for 3 months, so camp comfort matters quite a bit and a fire is up there.

So... preference, experience and needs all need to be considered.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
SoldierPalmer,

More info required :). Which months? Which area? Boreal forest covers a lot of ground. Using official trails and shelter networks, or tramping off into virgin territory? What is the purpose of the trip? Travelling and camping or getting to practice bushcraft?

I have generally found I used my axe (GB SF) much more and that it was more useful than a large knife, BUT, that was with groups using wood for shelters, heating and cooking, mostly in areas which saw human activity. The aim of all those trips was to practice bushcraft to some degree, so carrying a tool was part of the experience. On more recent trips elsewhere I have used a gas stove and never had any fire at all because doing so was not part of the trip goals so have hardly used cutting tools and been glad I was not carting an axe or big knife.

No simple answer to what is still a rather open ended question :)

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
My tool selection for that type of area would also depend on time of year location and how I was travelling (foot or with toboggan, vehicles, etc.)

Personal tools.

SAK/Multi tool (minimum of SAK huntsman, but I have quite a selection as well)
Knife (various types and sizes to chose from but generally 3-5")
Skrama
GFB Small Hatchet
GFB Scandinavian Forest Axe/ Swedish army axe (they are both the same size, well mine ones are)
21" Boreal saw or 30" Bow saw

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I had to make the same choice a few years ago when flying out on an Arctic Winter trip.

Ended up taking my Trailhawk and a Laplander with me rather than my Leuku.

Glad I did because when the Lappy was accidentally lost to the fire in the dark, I was still able to drop a good sized dead tree with the Hawk. Not sure the Leuku would have done it.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
If you go to Sweden/Canada I can understand axe use. I have fires "only" for cooking in a mug or occasionally a Kelly kettle so small pieces of wood are enough

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
The chap is going by foot, which makes a massive difference. Every ounce really does matter. A Silky Saw (and spare blade) and small knife is half the weight of any axe worth having, safer in use and far more efficient. Something like this, though travel light trail trekkers would think this is too much:
IMGP7747_1.jpg

Pack too heavy and energy is used up too fast to get anywhere. Heavy tools are for support teams with the manpower, or baggage trains, or found at staging posts.
Expeditions in a group then one useful tool for each member. Food, water, and shelter take up the rest.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I think a lot of conclusions are being jumped to. Heck, the chap hasn't actually said that he himself is going on such a trip. He has asked what "you" would take, and all the differing views being offered are based upon different ideas about what each person would be doing in the boreal forest. No detail about which country, which time of year, whether alone or not or the purpose of said trip. Without more specifics we are all just making noise according to our own assumptions. Good advice sure, depending on circumstance, but not really focused or likely to reach a consensus, if that is the aim.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I'm in no way wise about travelling through Boreal forest..
But if the priority is travel then maybe the priority would be weight and pack reduction.
Where temperatures aren't dangerous, that is where fire is predominantly for cooking, then I think a knife and saw would be ample.
As has been said, a lot of wood is usually available without too much work needed.

That being said I'd rather carry tools than need tools so I'd make space for my skrama and hatchet. they'd make lots of things easier and are just plain fun to play with which is a priority to me.

Best of luck.

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
Sorry to cause confusion I'm not heading any where in the nearest future I was just courious on different opinions. In my own head I was thinking central Norway traveling west to east. My own tools I use around here varies enough, I would most likely take a silky big boy a small thin puukko and then a 9 inch Leuku as the silky can do a lot of work. A lot of weight would be used in taking a Bergen's lavvo 4 to 6.

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
Well the Bergen's lavvo 4 to 6, being a tipi style shelter, suggests going in heavy. So that means some kind of addition porter system other than by foot.
Think we have put some decent genuinely useful styles forward. Skill factors and fitness levels always add to the equation. What time of year and what route will dictate even more.

Traveling by foot to me means going from village to village even if that takes a few days. Expeditions generally have a support element that takes the village along with them. Different ways o travel, different speeds, different requirements.

What I always say is be familiar with your tools before you go.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Small axe and a knife.
Everything as light as possible. Def no poncho style tent. Unless you like to punish yourself. Crossing central Norway East to West will only take a week or so, and plenty of civilization.
Bring a wellfilled wallet though, Norway is not cheap!

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The Same people of old did not have axes. They had access to iron in the form of barrel hoops they fashioned into knives, the largest being what you guys call the Finnish name of Leuku. Could not afford axes.
I got this info from the Horse's mouth.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I live in the Interior Cedar Hemlock biogeoclimatic zone of the Boreal Forest. I can't possibly carry enough provisions to travel on foot for a month.
Travel is wide open, just pick a game trail big enough for moose and start walking. It's the mountains, little dribbles of good water everywhere.
Assuming that I can feed myself, assuming no grizzly bears or black bears or cougars or wolves or wolverines in the night,
there's really little to clear for nightly camp sites, the understory is open enough. Kick some twigs aside (kindling), make a rock ring for a cooking fire = done.
Deadfall firewood of every size is so plentiful that a big knife and a small knife would do everything.

Crossing some very respectable tributary rivers will be the greater puzzle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE