Japanese birch bark box

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
This is a Japanese Birch bark box. Made in 1928. It is superbly well made.

birchbox1.jpg
[/URL]
bircbox2.jpg
[/URL]
Just thought it may be of interest.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's beautiful :D
Look at the size of the lenticles too though, yet it's stable.

How did they do it ? is it moulded and then sewn ? or is it plyed up ? and was it intended to hold something specific ?

cheers,
M

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Looking at the thickness of the sides and the form of the corners I'd say it was moulded. Maybe lacquered afterwards?
Fantastic piece of craftsmanship. The binding looks very delicate.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, makes sense now :)

Why don't we do more moulding of birchbark ? It strikes me that with soaking and shaping and holding in place until it dries out, we'd actually be supporting the bark instead of stressing it.....especially with the thin, lenticle rich stuff that grows here.

Hmmm.....playtime, methinks :D

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's no shortage of kind of half tree bits....for some reason one side of the trees are usually a lot coarser, sort of split and rough, than the other. When the tree comes down, if it does so with the good side upwards then it's worth keeping an eye on it until the timber rots inside and the bark's free for the taking. Not usually huge bits though. Moulding it however, seems like an interesting way to make use of even the very thin stuff that usually splits along the lenticles. I have a sack load in one of the sheds that I was going to use for birch tar making, but I might play with it instead :)

cheers,
M

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Finding big stuff this end of the world is not quite so easy, I am surprised there isn't an online supplier

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think there is, but it has to be imported, and it doesn't come cheap :sigh:

That said, now the middle of Europe's in the trading networks again, it's amazing what's turning up relatively cheaply...chaga for instance :) No reason that the birchbark shouldn't come from Europe rather than the Americas.

cheers,
M

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great little thing that.

So are we talking about soaking the birch, making a form and wrapping it all up?

Definitely going to have a play.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Wow thats a beautiful bit of workmanship there..

Wet forming the birch bark seems like a great idea, would you have to use dried bark or would it work with fresh stuff?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Cheeky request, if possible could we have some close up pictures of the joins general construction?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE