1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, We're having our annual Winter Moot and we'd love you to come. PLEASE LOOK HERE to secure your place and get more information.
    For forum threads CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice

Jack Hargreaves

Discussion in 'DIY and Traditional crafts' started by boubindica, Dec 13, 2018.

1. boubindica

boubindica Forager

Just found these little gems and thought some of you might like to see them too:

ouch, the nostalgia hurts...

mowerman and Ettrick reiver like this.
  2. saxonaxe

saxonaxe Forager

Thanks for that boubindica, that's my evening accounted for. Happy memories of 7.30 pm Friday evenings on Southern Television watching Jack in "Out of Town " with my two Nippers..:biggrin:

3. Woody girl

Woody girl Full Member

You beat me to it! Discover this a day or so ago and was wondering whether to put up a post or not. I find you beat me to it. I loved jack and often thought of that program over the years. What nostalgia it evokes of my childhood and years gone by. It's sad to think of all that skill and knowledge gone to a greater degree.tho there is a bit of heavy horse working here and there. Coopering and other skills are so rare now. Long live jack Hargreaves! Top man. I've just learned how to string onions properly from the video on you tube.. I want the box set for Xmas now!

#3 Woody girl, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    boubindica and badoosh like this.
  4. saxonaxe

saxonaxe Forager

" Top man."....:biggrin:

Jack was an executive of Southern Television and organised the Southern TV Sea Angling competition back in the late 1960's. He came to a small sea port nearby to where I live one weekend. Competitors, cameras and film crews etc: all descended on the port. I was home on leave at the time and helped with getting the competitors and all their fishing gear aboard the boats and consequently got to meet Jack, if only briefly. As a relative youngster..(pantomine voice.."Oh! Yes I was.." ) I was a mere dogsbody but he was a true Gentleman to everyone he dealt with that day.
    During the course of the preparations for the boats going to sea, he met a local with whom he had served in North Africa under Monty in 1942 and the organisers had to pry them apart to get the competitors away to sea on time. :D

boubindica likes this.
  5. falcon

falcon Full Member

There's a lovely group on Facebook run by his stepson, Simon Baddeley...

boubindica likes this.
  6. saxonaxe

saxonaxe Forager

I never ever dreamed I would say this...but...unfortunately I'm not a member of Facebook...:laugh: But thanks for the info, and it's good to know that people in the modern world still remember him fondly...:thumbsup:

7. SCOMAN

SCOMAN Full Member

I have his series on DVD, I remember his shows as a kid. I mean to convert them to MP4.

boubindica likes this.
  8. Clayze

Clayze Tenderfoot

Happy memories indeed! Watching Out of Town and before that Country Boy I think?
    There was one particular episode of Out of Town that sticks in my mind although somewhat vaguely if that isn't a contradiction.
    Jack was on a small boat on a lake fishing for perch.
    As I remember he used a simple rig, a drilled bullet stopped above several coloured beads just before the hook baited with a lob.
    He'd cast and slowly retrieve the rig across the bottom of the lake targeting the larger specimens.I really must have a go at that...minus the boat.
    Apologies for going off at a bit of an angling tangent!

9. demographic

demographic Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

His book is well worth a read, cant remember the title.
    Old country? Worth getting though.

boubindica likes this.
  10. boubindica

boubindica Forager

don't suppose we can get that series anymore? or maybe you could post the MP4s of them somewhere? not sure about copyright though :/

11. SCOMAN

SCOMAN Full Member

I might be able to do something or lend them to you.

12. Darryl of Sussex

I used to watch Jack on tv as a child and never missed an episode. Thanks for reminding me. :)