Got my first pig today! Yay!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi All,
Just had to share this!
I got my first porker today. A young boar. Had a bit of a chase, but finally got close enough to get it with the Ruger 10/22.
Ideally, I would have used something bigger, but the .22 subsonic did the job OK at close range.
Not a very big one, but it should be good eating. Yum!
J :)

IMG_1305.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nice pig - are they ferals over there? I assume not "wild boar" per se?

Bet you wished you had your lever gun with you :)

Uhm, that wasn't very nice of you... what did he do to you?

Mungo

I'll admit, he didn't actually do anything to me (except get the hunter instinct all fired up!), but he and his mates make a hell of a mess of the farmers paddocks. Wild pigs are considered a pest down here and there's no shortage of them.

Hi, BR! Yes...the .357 lever gun would have been my weapon of choice. I had a practice with it last night and I'll probably take it with me today, but I don't suppose I'll get lucky two days running and carrying two rifles is a bit of a pain (the 10/22 is for work stuff). I may just take the .22 Magnum instead, as it'll do everything I need a rifle to do.

fingers crossed!
J :)

It was a pretty clean kill, but I'd have liked it to have been a bit quicker and would have prefered to use a bigger calibre, but it went pretty well. The beauty of a ten round mag is that at least you've got a few quick follow-up shots if the first ones don't do the job. If it had been a bigger poker, there's no way I'd have used such a light round as that probably would have just wounded it and p****d it off and I wouldn't have wanted that. I've usually got the wrong gun with me whenever I see them, or they just head off into the tussock really quick and I can't head off after them. I guess it was just this ones unlucky day!
I skinned it earlier (made a bit of a mess of getting it off, but I wasn't trying to save it anyway) and I'll be butchering it tomorrow and hopefully turning most of it into mince and sausages.
Cheers,
J

statikpunk

Apr 18, 2007
nevada, U.S.A.
great job jamie. your right a bigger caliber would have been more ideal, but dont beat yourself up over it, i always like to say lead in the air means meat on the ground. i think too many people get too uppity over "humane" hunting and all that. people hunted with far weaker weapons throughout history, and the quality of fire arms has increased so much over the past 100 years that you can really do some amazing things with smaller and smaller calibers (look at what people are doing with airguns nowadays). if you do want to make your 10/22 more practical for things like small pigs then think about converting it to a 17mach2 its a very simple process that anyone can do (no gunsmithing knowledge needed) and it will increase the practicality and clean killing ability of you 10/22. I did it with a model 77/22 and have done some really amazing things with it, I have several confirmed flat out kills on marmots at ranges approaching 300 yards. (and they are pretty big critters!) and I know a guy who has taken a coyote with his.

also I didnt realize NZ had such open guns laws. I thought they where very similar your neighbor down there Australia.(which would mean no 10/22s) would you say that you laws are similar to the USAs? i know hunting is big sport in NZ, I would love to go there sometime. i think its such a beautiful country.

oh yah and what job do you have where your 10/22 is for work stuff!?!? because I want your job!! 4 wheelers and pig hunting!! Im jealous!

anyway just remember Jamie we are all predators and you never have to be ashamed of that. "pork chops on the grill!!":AR15firin

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
It's a strange animal the .22. It's tiny, almost silent, no recoil, the bullet weighs as much as 2 or 3 airgun pellets. And yet, at one time or another, it has killed all kinds of animal. Chris McCandless shot and killed a moose with one.

I'm certainly not advocating moose hunting with a .22, but as mentioned, if primitive man could kill such large animals with bow and arrow (say 36 ft lbs for a modern recurve) than it's no wonder that the .22 rimfire at 100 ft lbs or so is surprisingly lethal.

People argue about the .22s suitability for foxes, but certainly many foxes have been killed with .22s.

Anyway, looks like you have supper organised.

Jamie...
You've got my mouth watering for some quality pork saussages now! They'd be even tastier if it was a wild one taken by my own hand. Haha.
I'm with you on the follow-up shots. I'm after an air rifle soon and am waiting until I can afford something with the capability to make an instant follow-up shot just in case.
Anyway - bon apetit.

statikpunk...
I'm guessing part of that was related to my question about a clean kill - I hope I've not given the impression I'm uncomfortable with man's predatory nature (eyes front and so on) - I love the fact that some people hunt.

I'm just of the opinion that if an animal is going to die, the quicker and cleaner it can be, the better.
That said - even hunting a wild animal with a bow and arrow or spear is much more humane in my eyes than the conditions most farmed animals we eat are raised in.

I'd take a life of freedom ended over a few minutes of bleeding to death, over a lifetime in a shed finished with a "humane" bolt through the brain. Even a slow kill in the wild is humane compared to much animal farming.

The only things I don't like are "inhumane" shots like gut-shots on burrowing animals. It's wasteful and somewhat cruel to cause an animal a long death underground where you won't be able to make use of it.

Other than that - if it'll kill it in such a way you can use it, I'm not all that fussed. Though I'll personally opt for the cleanest kill I can in any situation - sometimes it may mean not taking a shot at all, but I can live with that.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
It's a strange animal the .22. It's tiny, almost silent, no recoil, the bullet weighs as much as 2 or 3 airgun pellets. And yet, at one time or another, it has killed all kinds of animal. Chris McCandless shot and killed a moose with one.

I'm certainly not advocating moose hunting with a .22, but as mentioned, if primitive man could kill such large animals with bow and arrow (say 36 ft lbs for a modern recurve) than it's no wonder that the .22 rimfire at 100 ft lbs or so is surprisingly lethal.

People argue about the .22s suitability for foxes, but certainly many foxes have been killed with .22s.

I've also heard of a Grizzly being killed by a .22 pistol - although the gun and the hand holding it was inside it's mouth at the time :eek: That's a little too close for me...

statikpunk

Apr 18, 2007
nevada, U.S.A.
statikpunk...
I'm guessing part of that was related to my question about a clean kill - I hope I've not given the impression I'm uncomfortable with man's predatory nature (eyes front and so on) - I love the fact that some people hunt.

I'm just of the opinion that if an animal is going to die, the quicker and cleaner it can be, the better.
That said - even hunting a wild animal with a bow and arrow or spear is much more humane in my eyes than the conditions most farmed animals we eat are raised in.

I'd take a life of freedom ended over a few minutes of bleeding to death, over a lifetime in a shed finished with a "humane" bolt through the brain. Even a slow kill in the wild is humane compared to much animal farming.

The only things I don't like are "inhumane" shots like gut-shots on burrowing animals. It's wasteful and somewhat cruel to cause an animal a long death underground where you won't be able to make use of it.

Other than that - if it'll kill it in such a way you can use it, I'm not all that fussed. Though I'll personally opt for the cleanest kill I can in any situation - sometimes it may mean not taking a shot at all, but I can live with that.

sorry Big shot didnt mean to make it sound like i was calling you out. Jamie seemed worried about explaining why he used such a small caliber on the pig, I just meant to say that no explanation was necessary. I was just saying that if you have the option, sure use a big caliber, but small calibers are so efficient now a days that one can do some amazing things with them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE