Getting hold of a fox hide for tanning?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Reddo

Tenderfoot
Hey all, Newbie here. I was just wondering how people came across their fox hides?

I've been wanting to try tanning a fox hide for some time now, but seem to be having some trouble getting hold of one! Previously I've tanned rabbit hides with the washing machine process that alot seem to use on here, and I can happily say it seems to do the job brilliantly for me! The only thing I thing I would like to do is find an object that scrapes better than what I am currently using. I got a new rabbit skin in last night, worked on the scrapping ect, unfortunalty it took me almost 6 hours to finish defleshing the skin, although this time I had left the head intact so was abit more tricky than usual! Its now hanging to dry for a while before I begin working it. I'm hoping to come across someone local to me who can provide me with a suitable fox pelt as I would love that as a challenge :)

I get the rabbit hides from my partner whos collects them from his work, and a friend who goes lamping, but as for the foxes.. I have no clue !

Zoe :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello :) and welcome to the forum :cool:

Apart from Lou, I thought I was the only one using the washing machine method. Glad it works for you :cool: Lou was most unhappy at the mess it left in her washing machine after she tried it on a deer hide. I think it's crucial that the machine has no seperate bars fitted into the drum. The machine I use has them moulded into the metal of the drum.
Otherwise it's a pain getting all the little loose hairs out from under the plastic bits.

cheers,
Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hello and welcome!
Road kill is one source of fox skins ... or you could try and find someone in pest control who shoots them....

Reddo

Tenderfoot
Hello and welcome!
Road kill is one source of fox skins ... or you could try and find someone in pest control who shoots them....

Hey thanks, yea I have considered road kill, unfortunatly there never seems to much left of the poor animals when we spot them, that and when we are in the car we usually have 2 large dogs and a 4 yr old in the back so its never quite suitable. We do know someone who works in pest control, he works in the same place we get the rabbits from, but he doesn't tend to need to shoot them often as most stay clear of the nursery. I guess it'll just be a case of waiting for the right time. :)

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
hello and welcome, i would ask your local gamekeepers as they will be keeping on top of them at the monment, one of the best times when alot of foxs are shot will be when the feilds are being cut for hay and crops are being combined as you can see the buggers to shoot !! pitty your not closer or i could have got you some. if you do'nt know any keepers pop into your local gunshop and ask then if they know a local keeper who can help :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep gamekeepers don't even bother with the brushes nowadays. Chap I new in Hampshire averaged 60 to 100 a year. Find your local game shoot and speak to the head keeper - a bottle of something will probably get all the bodies you want. That said, they are unlikely to want them hanging around long or to "faff about" skinning them, so best of you offer to pick them up if they send you a text.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE