Fun snaps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Living on a camp site I see lots of good stuff thrown away.

Management try to keep me out of the bins but havent been succesful so far...

Today underneath one and a half bars of soap, and half a bottle of washing up liquid, I found a box of fun snaps.

Cant recall what the chemical is (I am the worlds worst chemist) but I assume its flammable.

Any application in fire starting?

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Living on a camp site I see lots of good stuff thrown away.

Management try to keep me out of the bins but havent been succesful so far...

Today underneath one and a half bars of soap, and half a bottle of washing up liquid, I found a box of fun snaps.

Cant recall what the chemical is (I am the worlds worst chemist) but I assume its flammable.

No joy I'm afraid, I have memories of trying this in my slightly misspent youth and even dropping them into a small pool of lighter fuel didn't have any effect.

They do produce heat (especially when snapped between you fingers) but not enough to cause a burn and my childhood brain couldn't find a way to make fire happen - lighting the wick and watching them pop was something different entirely!

I suppose being marketed for kids they need to be particularly safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader

The detonation shockwave of the silver fulminate will ignite strike-anywhere matches if they are confined close enough and had good results with Party-Poppers. Not sure I would want to mess about a with a loose mix though.

There's even a commercial product available

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
I seem to remember that it's so explosive, there's a critical mass where it will explode under it's own weight. Fortunately, for children, that critical mass is so low it's not dangerous

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ha ha, I was playing with a pack of those fun snaps two weeks ago!!! reliving my childhood, i was firing them out fo pens, with rubber bands, flicking them, kicking them and generally being a naughty boy again!!

Ascobis

Forager
Nov 3, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
AgCNO won't light your fire. A high explosive's effect is a shock wave. A deflagrating low explosive would work better, though not very well, for fire starting.

Enjoy the find for its own sake. Crack away!

<deleted really funny paragraph that would have set off GCHQ and NSA>

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I'd never heard the name fun snaps before but they seem to be what we used to call caps. A significant amount of my pocket money went on these to keep my cap pistol firing. When I grew out of cap pistols and cowboys and Indians games I discovered that a quantity of them could be folded and compressed using a large nut and two bolts. When dropped it made a very loud and satisfying bang.

In my youth, fireworks were readily available and in the interests of safety (don't try this at home or anywhere else) I hesitate to tell of the dangerous and stupid things we got up to by repurposing penny bangers. I'm lucky to have kept all my fingers.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I used paper roll caps for fire lighting when I was about six or seven by scratching them with a pin next to a piece of tissue paper (All of which I generally had in my pockets).

Completely different to "Fun Snaps" though which are a twist of paper wrapped around a percussive explosive compound.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE