Found some fat wood - how to store it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Last edited:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I'd keep it somewhere dry and cool, and in big bits....

My major beef with Maya dust is that with so much surface area, the volatile hydro-carbons (stuff that burns easily) can evaporate readily - especially if you carry the tin in your pocket and heat it all up.
If you carry a big stick of it, it should be an easy enough task to shave a few bits off whenever you want a fire!

ATB

Ogri the trog

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Nice find, there's loads of pine near me but I have yet to have a look about. I get woodshyness.

This is actually just a small piece I managed to get of with my SAK... There is a whole fallen pine tree there and the lower section near the root is mostly fat wood. :)

I think I will have to sneak out again with a big axe and saw ;)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
In large pieces it's virtually indestructable. For centuries here the larger ones were used for fence posts (particularly corner posts) and there are still many standing that are over 150 years old. They're still full of resin and sticks the size of most campfire wood will ignite readily with no further processing needed.

Here in the South it's normally called "lightard" and yes the d is pronounced.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Lightard... Not heard that one thanks!

I find its best left for a week or three to 'season' once collected as despite the high resin content, It may still have some moisture in the wood. I then prep mine down to manageable kindling size sticks.
Managed to find a few variants from very dense and old wood, to very sticky resin rich stuff- to white, soft pine. The last one go's up like napalm, but all burn very well.

Good find! al.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.......The last one go's up like napalm.....

now there's a storage problem!

i've still not had a play with fatwood, i'm sure there must be loads in the woods around me but there's also masses of birch so i'm spoilt for birch bark, which really does lead to laziness.

stuart

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
now there's a storage problem!

i've still not had a play with fatwood, i'm sure there must be loads in the woods around me but there's also masses of birch so i'm spoilt for birch bark, which really does lead to laziness.

stuart

Same here. I only found it by accident while building a den for the boys...

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
And it smells better than it did 10 mins ago :)

I have a bit of an obsession with the stuff, I wonder if they hold fatwood anonymous groups...

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
LoL :) Napalm (of the tinder world at-least) was pretty descriptive I thought.....

looking at that video you're not far wrong. i shall keep my eyes open for some. i know that i'm looking for fallen pines but does anyone have any advice further than that?

stuart

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
t does anyone have any advice further than that?

stuart

Wherever you are, it is worth keeping a watchful eye on fallen/cut pines. A tap with the butt of a knife or the poll of your axe might produce a ringing sound - harder than you think it ought to be from a downed trunk.

A few test cuts should reveal red or golden fibres or "plastic" looking areas that smell heavily of resin/turpentine. Cut out a chunk of the tree and do more tests to see the limits of the fatwood piece - (sometimes its big sometimes not). I let mine dry for a few days then bashed it about with a large hammer - the soft and worthless areas crumbled while the fatwood areas broke off more cleanly. If you're lucky enough to find big pieces, cut them into manageable sized lumps, if not salvage what you can and move on.

Good luck

Ogri the trog

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
And it smells better than it did 10 mins ago :)

I have a bit of an obsession with the stuff, I wonder if they hold fatwood anonymous groups...

Lol.... funny you should say that, my garage is full of Chaga fungus, as well as a healthy pile of fatwood and various other bits of organic matter useful in lighting fires

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
looking at that video you're not far wrong. i shall keep my eyes open for some. i know that i'm looking for fallen pines but does anyone have any advice further than that?

stuart

Actually you're looking for old (20-100 year old) pine stumps. The sap falls all the way into the root system.

Last edited:

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I think mistwalker once posted a usefull tutorial post on finding fatwood, It was well worth a read.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE