Fat wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Our Newfoundland climate is a lot more like the UK's than Florida or the Southern US (home of real quality fat wood, throughout the whole stump and beyond). Must be the heat, 'cause it ain't the humility...
I've found that the pines here - White, Red, Jack, and Scot(ch) Pine - don't accumulate resin in the stump or stem, but instead it gathers in knots and the base of branches.
To find Fatwood here, I cut off a dead Pine branch as close to the stem as possible, the lowest on the tree and largest diameter available. The first couple inches contain the good stuff......

I suspect it also depends on when the tree dies or is cut down. The sap rises in warm weather and drops back down the stem in cooler weather.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Watch your tools with this stuff. I once made a walking stick out of a pine stick, red and hard with resin.
It took me two hours on the stones, to get all the little chips out of the blade.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE