Did you hear the one about....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
...the short sighted canoeist?

Inspired by "Dangerous River" (as reviewed by Schwert) I'm planning to have a go at Canadian Canoeing. Obviously starting off nice and easy but am trying to work out a way to keep the specs on my face and out of the river. I took some kayak lessons a few years ago and found that the neoprone straps I bought just were not up to the job. Any ideas? Specsavers seem to sell prescription diving masks and swimming goggles but neither look quite right for the job. Going without is not an option.....

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I suppose that contacts are out?

I am short sighted and also have astigmatism, I can't use the daily disposables, and the lens has to go in just right, it is thicker on one side than the other and is itchy if I get it wrong. BUT.... For activites where I may lose my glasses they are worth it.

There must be some serious heavy duty spec retainers out there, no way can you be the first with this problem :lol:

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Chris - is there a risk with the contacts that they would wash out of your eye?

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Kath said:
Chris - is there a risk with the ontacts that they would wash out of your eye?
Well,
My contacts stayed in place through the capsise drills of RYA 1 and 2 sailing course. Also no probs with the occasions my swining goggles have flooded or come astray. I think it it pretty much a reflex to close your eyes as they are about to hit water.
Cheers
David

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I know a member (ranked 3)of the british "playboat" team , he's done and won many competitions that involve various manouvers like flips and cartwheels , also he does kayak "surfing" he uses contacts and has no problems!

he does not use goggles.

i am long sighted and through my BCU tests and a white water week i didn't wear glasses at all.

maybe you could try it?

if all eles fails try using a tight fitting hat that will hold them,
attatch the cord more securely?

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If you can wear disposable contacts use them.

They stay in OK i wear the m while surfing and have only lost one and that was where I got hit in the eye by a board.

The other advantage of disposable is the cost (if you only where them for certain things) - as you can afford to lose one or two.

And teh hygine as the don't need washing

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Has anyone here had laser eye surgery? More specifically the newer treatments such as LASIK or LASEK?

I've worn monthly disposables for a few years now and in all conditions on land and sea. Only problem I've had has been losing the cases tho I've been known to wear the lenses 24/7 pretty comfortably (and yes I do know that's bad but had no choice!)

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
The dad of my stepson's friend has had this done to get into the Police - his eyesight was quite bad, but reckons the results are brilliant

Last time I researched this the success rates were a little too low (not 100%!) and I was at the outer edges of what could be corrected, but that was a couple of years ago and the procedures are improving quickly

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE