cleaning up my khukri

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

zed4130

Forager
Aug 4, 2011
poole
I had a result this weekend while at the huge carbooty in the new forest i picked up 2 khukris in not so good condition, well i got out in the sun today and had some fun sorting one of them out, i decided to copy how they cover the scabards the soldiers use, these as far as i know are shorter army type khukri,I had to do a lot of sanding to remove all the rust but i wanted to keep a bit of age to it so left patina, im very happy with it plus not had one since selling my old one in the early 90's , i got that one when i was 14 and had to clean that one up, all in all this has kept my mind of my grandads funeral that im going to this tuesday, well here are some pics, :tu:

P1010182-2.jpg

P1010184-1.jpg

P1010185-8.jpg

P1010196.jpg

P1010198.jpg

P1010199-1.jpg

P1010200-5.jpg

gurkhas.jpg

P1010203-1.jpg

P1010209.jpg

P1010207.jpg

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
these are some fine tools!

You know the trick with the 100% vinegar acid?
That stuff eats all the rust, but leaves the "healthy" steel alone. I learned this trick from a friend who is engineer and into restoring old cars. We used that method to clean the serrated disks of a coffee grinder, looked like knew after a night soaked.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Nice way to spend the day and good result.
There is something about the khukri ; I think it's the blade shape.
Thanks for posting that.
Cheers , Simon

zed4130

Forager
Aug 4, 2011
poole
Thanks guys, i really enjoyed today, i wish i knew the vinegar trick though lol, ill use that on the other khukri cheers for the info,

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I do love the kukri. I got one off here ages ago. Hardly ever (read never) use it.

I keep thinking about selling it on but I just know that I'd regret it if I did.

Andy

zed4130

Forager
Aug 4, 2011
poole
was having a clean out today and found this old shelf, so i decided to have a polay in my garden in the sun,
P1010183-3.jpg

the other one did ok as well,
P1010183-4.jpg

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Good job Zed,
I cleaned up a khukri that I got from a very generous gent on BB - I had intended to modify a number of points to make it into a better tool, but every time I used it, I came more and more convinced that there wasn't much I could improve upon.

In your second photo, the one on the left appears to have a handle that rises to a point at the rear part, which makes for a sore palm for us westerners if we use it forward of a standard grip.

I also notice that the mid-handle collars have been cut down - I actually found these collars to be beneficial in providing a secure grip between middle & ring finger.

I accept that these points will only be of use to you if you intend to re-handle them.

I have come to really appreciate mine for the well developed tool that it is. The only piece left for me to repair is the sheath which you've made a very nice job of - I might follow your lead for that.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Here's my thread - http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38423&highlight=kukri

Last edited:

zed4130

Forager
Aug 4, 2011
poole
Good job Zed,
I cleaned up a khukri that I got from a very generous gent on BB - I had intended to modify a number of points to make it into a better tool, but every time I used it, I came more and more convinced that there wasn't much I could improve upon.

In your second photo, the one on the left appears to have a handle that rises to a point at the rear part, which makes for a sore palm for us westerners if we use it forward of a standard grip.

I also notice that the mid-handle collars have been cut down - I actually found these collars to be beneficial in providing a secure grip between middle & ring finger.

I accept that these points will only be of use to you if you intend to re-handle them.

I have come to really appreciate mine for the well developed tool that it is. The only piece left for me to repair is the sheath which you've made a very nice job of - I might follow your lead for that.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Here's my thread - http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38423&highlight=kukri

cheers mate, if you need that scabbard done ive enough material and stuff for another frog left here and could do one for you, ive enjoyed doing the work on these kuks and now want more lol, although im working on my old cavarly sword at the moment and that needs a complete scabbard, i havnt moddified these kuks just cleaned them up as i like them as they are, these are original kuks from nepal and are pretty old as a kukri expert gave me some info on them, i might pick up one of the windlass steelcrafts kuks for a comparison and a user kuk, thanks for the encouragment,

regards
paul

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Lovely restoration job indeed, just the right balance of giving them a good fettling and preserving their original excellence IMHO.

ATB

Kim

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE