bushcraft fishing kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CRAZY FROG

Forager
Aug 9, 2007
essex
Has anyone put together a bushcraft fishing kit, if so I/we would like to know what you take in regards to fishing kit for bushcraft?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
A spool of 10lb line and a range of hooks and split shot is about all you need to cover most situations.

Rods/floats/bait can all be improvised/foraged when you're out there.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
You can fit the hooks and shot inside the "well" of the line spool and cover in a "balloon" to waterproof it!

Alternately, I usually use a tiny Shimano telescopic rod and reel with a variety of hooks, lures and powerbait wormy things (can't remember their proper name!) Weighs next to nothing and mostly fits in the Shimano pouch and a small bait box. Similar to the RM lightweight fishing kit but with loads of extras from TKMAXX and Decathlon! Decathlon do a reasonable looking tele rod set up too, though I've never tried it.

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
9 ft shakespeare telescopic rod
poundland reel (awful thing, but it works and weighs 2 oz)
4 lb preston powerline
small mepps spinners
assorted hooks size 10,12, 14,16
2 chubber floats with rubbers
assorted lead free split shot
20 ft of 3 lb and 2lb line.
Rubber bloodworm.

This setup is not very bushcraft, but it lets me bag up. :)

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
If I'm going light, I take the following:
1 No 100yds Spool of 10lb
1 No 100yds Spool of 5lb (Maxima Chameleon is my favourite)
10 No of hooks of each size; 20, 16, and 12.
1 No pack of Lead-free shot in a dispenser
2 No Ledgers (size depending on river/time of year/locality)
1 No Disgorger (essential if you catch small stuff or 'less-edible' species, depending on how desperate/hungry you are).
1 No Grayling 'Bob' Float
1 No Righyni Float (like an elongated/stick float version of the above)
Small piece if tinfoil (can be used to wrap around your hook instead of bait and is especially good for trout and perch as a primitive lure).

That does me fine for most eventualities when staying out. Obviously taking no rod and reel eliminates the possibilty of spinning etc.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
What sort of rod is it? I've looked at getting a 7' or so tele spinning rod to stick in my pack but some of the ones I've seen are rubbish quality.

teflon

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury
Small 'kiddies' tele rod (about 6') with 6lbs line on a tiny Woolies fixed spool reel straight through to a barbless 12 hook. Just free-line a bit of bread paste carefully with the flow and you'll be amazed what turns up. Honestly, it can work so well at times, you can practically choose the fish you want to keep.

Last edited:

teflon

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury
...I've looked at getting a 7' or so tele spinning rod to stick in my pack but some of the ones I've seen are rubbish quality.

The fish won't know you're using a cheap rod. It's all in the angle of the dangle.

And if it gets left, lost, or broken, it won't matter.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That line is way too weak for spinning. You'll lose more spinners on weak line and you'll end up with leaving nylon line in the water which is not good. Try braid or 3kg line for all round spinning.

I've lost few on rocks and barnacles but wouldn't they be gonners anyway even with a stronger line ?

I've got a box of 15kg spiderwire which I got given but never used, I might rig that up for the weekend then :) I've not even looked at it or read up about it yet.

Is 15kg the sort of stuff you're talking about ?

Shewie...

I caught this on 3kg line a few weeks ago...

salmonmine.jpg

On line of at least 3kg you can land BIG fish like my salmon here at 15lb if you take your time. I couldn't have done that on 2lb line. On 2lb line I'd lose nearly every spinner that would catch on weed or the odd rock and I'd never land a big one if I got lucky. Going up to 3kg line gives you more chance of recovering your spinners and if you go to braid, you'll bend the hook straight before losing the line so it's even better cos you can always bend a straightened hook. There is no point in making your fishing harder when a few easy thought out preps can make it go well in your favour. And by the way this was caught on rod that cost me £12 from go outdoors...:lmao: and a size 2 silver vibrax spinner that cost £3. So good fishing doesn't need to be expensive...:lmao:

Oh and by the way, the reason the photo is chopped...I don't want anyone to recognise where I got it or I'll be fighting all you lot off the next time I'm there!:lmao:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That's a fine fish, did it taste good ?

I think I've stuck with a light line because most of my fishing was in small lakes and tarns where small trout were common but plentiful :)

It makes sense to up the strength though so I'll do the switch and see how I get on.

That's a fine fish, did it taste good ?

I think I've stuck with a light line because most of my fishing was in small lakes and tarns where small trout were common but plentiful :)

It makes sense to up the strength though so I'll do the switch and see how I get on.

Don't know, it's in my mates freezer (what's left of it as it was chopped into stakes and given to the old folk), hopefully I'll try a few stakes before it's gone.

I think there's an aweful lot of folk go into fishing and buy whatever Ray or Lars or whoever says is the best or what they use. TBH to fish successfully, your most reliable piece of gear is your reel. You can fish with a cheap reel but if you want to fish with less hassle, buy a good reel. The rods, well to be fair telescopic rods are not that great. Your better off with a 4 or 5 piece travel rod or two piece or very tough telescopic. I've went through 4 telescopic rods in the last 3 seasons and in every case except one where the rod snapped, the eyes went. (usually the last at the tip). I'm not even convinced with shimano exage telerods either...~~(I think that's partly why they come in a hard travel case:))

The fact is that if you are carrying your rod in a rucksack or in a canoe, sooner or later it will get damaged so there is some sense in being realistic in buying cheaper rods. At the moment I'm experimenting with a very cheap 2 piece shimano sea spinning rod which looks very tough indeed yet only cost me £12 (on offer). I use a hard homemade case. My reel on the other hand was daft money...:eek: which can be used in the sea and in fresh. But you can get a very good reel for £20. My only other expense is my spinners. I do an aweful lot of wilderness (if there is such a thing here in Scotland) fishing, from the fly to the spinner and very occassionally bait. If I catch a fish or two I take them to eat and stop fishing for the rest of the day. No need to be greedy.

Fishing does not need to be complicated, expensive nor difficult. It mainly uses laughter (you need a sense of humour when you are not catching!) common sense, knowledge and luck...

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
hi, i have a shimano exage and i must say i am very happy with it, but i only use it for small fish when im out in the canoe. but some of the best fishing i have had is with a small telescopic pole i got from poundland, 4lb line no 20/22 hook and a float that small well you get the idear and a small magget. have a nice time whatever you use. carl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE