bees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wickerman

May 6, 2010
norfolk

Does anyone know about bees I put a bee house up in the garden,seems to be two bees one checks the tubes the other spends time in the tubes then seals,they look like honey bees and have both just attacked a small wasp

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
I' not a bee expert but they will be of the solitary bee variety, I have them in my garden as they always like my hose reel screw holes every year.
From what I have read they will lay an egg at the end of the tube then block it in and lay another egg etc until the tube is filled. Once the first bee is ready to leave it breaks down the seal and nips the next one to get it to do the same until all the bees are active and leave the tube.

Apologies for a very basic breakdown and it would be interesting to learn what type of bee they are.

wickerman

May 6, 2010
norfolk
Thanks for reply did not know about solitary bees........live and learn,I also have small bumble bees in my flat roof

Cub Kaa

May 31, 2015
North Devon
I' not a bee expert but they will be of the solitary bee variety, I have them in my garden as they always like my hose reel screw holes every year.
From what I have read they will lay an egg at the end of the tube then block it in and lay another egg etc until the tube is filled. Once the first bee is ready to leave it breaks down the seal and nips the next one to get it to do the same until all the bees are active and leave the tube.

Apologies for a very basic breakdown and it would be interesting to learn what type of bee they are.

We had them in the screw holes in the wooden garden table one year. Except these were cutting partitions using leaves. A rose bush had perfect round circles cut out which were just to size. They would fly under the table with a leaf while we were sat there. Brilliant to watch, and these type of bees are very much none aggressive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE