bacon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

L8starter

Forager
Mar 6, 2011
norwich, uk
im about to start my forest school experience with disaffected teenagers......

has anyone ever tried tying a rasher of bacon on a stick and cooking over a fire or wrapping damper dough and bacon together to spiral round the stick and cook?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
The important thing to remember is to ....

T a k e y o u ' r e t i m e !

Rushed cooking will only lead to burnt and raw bits and the ensueing dose of the trots.

Ogri the trog

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
Yeah, done it quite a few times. Get green sticks about little finger thickness, strip the bark off and cut a point onto the end. The bacon wants to be zig-zagged onto the stick for support, position over a good bed of embers rather than flames to avoid burning it and just check it every couple of minutes.

Not tried dough and bacon together but cant see any reason why it wouldn't work, just not sure about the differences in cooking time?

L8starter

Forager
Mar 6, 2011
norwich, uk
so long ago, id forgotten this post, it worked well, we wide spiral wrapped damper dough round and squeze the bacon in between the damper pushing the bacon ends under the damper, it worked a treat as long as we tookcare putting it on carefuully. we cooked until the bacon sizzled and dripped, it was good, the damper held on to the bacon juices.

i read that it was possible to thread a sausage longwise onto a stick, cook that then wrap dmaper dough round. well my damper didnt want to stick to the hot fatty sausage so instead of hot dogs most of the damper fell into the fire!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE