annoying video ads

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
No ads here either :dunno: . What set-up are you viewing through Steve? I.E, firefox, safari etc? Not that I can actually help but it might help admin (or anyone/someone else) point you in the direction of either getting rid of or around the problem.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
No ads here either :dunno: . What set-up are you viewing through Steve? I.E, firefox, safari etc? Not that I can actually help but it might help admin (or anyone/someone else) point you in the direction of either getting rid of or around the problem.

hi phil, just the normal I.E also getting the odd word highlighted with a link to wherever, really messes up the reading :)

I logged out, saw them then, Jesus it took an age to load, they were top as a banner and in the first post.

you did? arrrgh im not going mad then? it all started when i tried biting my ear...

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Noticed this a few days ago... Adverts for the American environment agency, highlighted words ect...

I ran malwarebytes and found 2 suspect files/virus/infection. Weather they where part of the ad campaign, who knows but the ad's have vanished.

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
If you get loads of adds with word links, try logging in, the word links and most of the ads then disappear

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
hi phil, just the normal I.E also getting the odd word highlighted with a link to wherever, really messes up the reading :)

I.E here as well ~ very strange :dunno: . I could see the ads when they were first introduced and I don't think that I've clicked on anything
sign0167.gif
~ sorry, I was about as much help as I thought I'd be
ashamed0001.gif

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
thanks fellas, just downloaded 'malwarebytes' as charlie suggested, if that doesnt work i'll try 'ad block' too :)

"MalwareBytes Anti-Malware" (MBAM) is a package which is designed to remove an assortment of modifications which may have been made to a Windows machine. Some of the modifications may have been made deliberately by the user and might come under the heading of ill-advised. Most however will have been made without the user's knowledge or permission. MBAM can scan data to look for suspicious patterns within it which might indicate malicious software on the machine. Generally speaking, it is targeted at removing malicious software and at finding and fixing unauthorized changes, hopefully preventing the abuse of the computers. It's pretty good at its job and I use it a lot on customers' machines. I don't need it on my own machines, as they don't run Windows.

MBAM can also look for things like changes to the settings which tell the computer what programs to load when it starts up; what to do when it is asked to 'open' a file; or to find a resource on the Internet; or generally what to do when the computer's user does almost anything at all with the keyboard, mouse or whatever. Many of these settings can, without the computer user's knowledge, be subverted by unscrupulous people for example to send your passwords to some server in China (I've seen that happening on a customer's machine); or to send mail, unknown to you; or to attack other computers; or to take your browser somewhere other than where you wanted it to go, usually to advertise things to you. It's particularly easy for the criminals if you don't keep up to date with security patches; or if you use certain versions of Windows or Internet Explorer; or many of a whole bunch of other programs infamous for security problems such as Adobe Acrobat and Flash Player.

http://www.qualys.com/research/top10/

Although abusing computers in this way is what we call computer crime, at least in the UK, from where I'm sitting it seems that law enforcement in this area is basically non-existent. On occasion, when I've found evidence of criminality, I've tried really hard to get the police to take action. Usually they've done nothing, mostly because of jurisdictional problems or the rules of evidence. If a criminal from Uganda, Belarus or Argentina takes over your PC and then cleans out your bank account, as far as I can tell you're on your own. That's not to belittle the work of the Met's Hi-tech Crime Unit, but the six hundred cases a week that they can ewven look at is barely scratching the surface.

The advertising that you're seeing, Steve, SHOULD just be the result of the browser doing what it's legitimately been told to do, and in that case I should not expect that MBAM would make much difference to any advertising that you see. Some browsers have facilities to avoid the more intrusive online advertising. I find that the ad-blocking 'addon' for Firefox is pretty good. If this can block the adverts, and MBAM finds nothing suspicious, all is probably well. The advertising definitely should NOT be the result of modifications made to your computer, without your permission, which MBAM can then find and fix.

I've never seen the adverts mentioned in this thread. That may be because of the ad-blocking in my browser, but it may instead be because I don't use Windows.

Which brings me to the Stock Exchange.

The symptoms Steve describes need clarification, but the similarity with symptoms I've come across before bothers me a little. Some time ago, criminals discovered that they could dupe otherwise perfectly upstanding advertisers into serving malicious data within adverts. The Stock Exchange Website was amongst the most high-profile that I know of to be abused in this way. For at least several months, from late 2010 to early 2011, it was serving malicious data which was used by criminals to 'take over' PCs when they were used to browse the Stock Exchange Website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12597819

It beggars belief that an organization like the Stock Exchange could permit such a thing at all, let alone manage to avoid noticing it for so long, even while Google was listing the LSE Website as malicious! If organizations with fewer resources than the LSE take on the responsibility of serving third-party data, on the fly, from their own Websites you can imagine how difficult it is for them to protect themselves and their users against this sort of threat. Personally, I think the whole idea is insane and I would never do it, but the financial rewards are attractive and it's easy to see how a salesman could gloss over the risks while closing a deal with a Website owner. This kind of advertising practice is very widespread.

I have no evidence that BCUK has suffered in the same way as the LSE. But if MBAM does in fact prevent advertising which appears as a direct result of browsing BCUK, then if I were Tony I'd want to investigate. It might indicate (at the very least) dubious practice such as modifying browser settings without the user's consent.

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
If you get loads of adds with word links, try logging in, the word links and most of the ads then disappear

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

thanks dasy, thats exactly what happens, as soon as i log in i get some respite, dont know how that works?

"MalwareBytes Anti-Malware" (MBAM) is a package which is designed to remove an assortment of modifications which may have been made to a Windows machine.

ged many thanks for your comprehensive reply, very informative. as i read your post several words were green with a double underline linking to something. and there was an ad video playing in the bottom right of the screen.

as advised i downloaded the free MBAM, it didnt show any issues and it hasnt solved the problem so i will try 'ad block'. funny thing is, it only happens here on BCUK?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE