Alcohol Stoves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
Hi all, I love homemade pepsi stoves. I am wonderin if you could share your results with me. I am wondering if using perlite or fiberglass insulation between the inner and outer walls helps any? Also what is the best number of burner holes? Also how close to the rim to you find is the best?

http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gear/pepsistove.shtml

Thanks

Any other cool pop can stoves?

leon-1

Currently there seems to be a fair amount of interest in the likes of the Photon Stove, it doesn't require perlite or any other filling. Martyn has put up quite a good tutorial on a modified version of the Photon Stove over on BB, I think you will find a link for it here.

I am currently on my sixth variation of the photon, the last was a little scary :yikes:.

The original mini photon that I made was capable of boiling a pint of water in around 4 minutes and 20 seconds. There are some specs for it in this here, I hope this is of some use to you :eek:):

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
finished my first one the other day. I've used rockwool rooting plugs between the inner and outer walls. Rather than trying to stretch one of the can bases I found by putting it bottom up and sliding the top one over I can make a decent seal. I've used 25 holes made using a pin and a small hammer.
The only problem - it jets a bit fiercely though it's still pretty fuel efficient, just don't expect to simmer anything. I'm going to knock together something that'll cover half the jets to give me some control.

leon-1

Realgar, all of the photon type stoves do this to start off with, after a few minutes they normally quiet down a bit, my current version is 32mm high and made from 2 red bull type cans (thin walls, lots of heat = massive pressurisation and more heat).

It is very aggressive and is built on the same design frame as the original by Don Johnston, but 20ml 0f fuel is gone in 5 minutes it has 24 jets at 0.5mm diameter. The only bonus with it is that if you want a brew quickly then this beast will do it within 5 minutes (600ml), if you wish to cook a meal bring boil in the bag :eek:):

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Nah, mine refuses to calm down. Heats up the workshop a treat though, my next ones going to be a full pressure stove. One handy thing I've found - I;ve use pyro cement to make my seals - a mix of chalk powder and waterglass, the sodium in it gives the flame a vivid yellow colour which means I can actually see it ( does make me wonder if the size of the jets it little more than optical illusion ),
Realgar

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE