Looking for...gps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 16, 2011
Perth
Im looking to get myself a CHEAP gps. All i need is something the will give me a grid reference. I don't know anything about the handheld gps nor have i used one so something simple would be good. was wondering if anyone can give me an advise on what to get? Like i said all it needs to do is give me a grid reference of where encase i am completely lost so i can get back on track.

sorry if this doesn't make any sense but iv had a bit to much wine:D

any help would be appreciated thanks

Gary.

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
have you got a mobile on a contract? you might get an upgrade phone with gps.
or get one with gps + mapping (eg viewranger) on pay as you go for about £100 eg nokia 5230 then +£25 for 1:50000 os national parks mapping from viewranger you can also buy self selected areas of mapping (the areas dont have to be adjacent squares)
0r try ebay for an older gps unit that just does the basics i have an old garmin that gives an osgb grid ref and a few other bits on a greyscale screen you can pick one up for under £50 or less if you persist there were newer gps units with similar functions going for about £40 last time i looked

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
i would look at a Garmin eTrex. no colour screen, no mapping but it does give you the grid of where you are!!!
cheers
Louis

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
As lou1661 said the Garmin eTrex is a good basic unit now been up graded to the eTrex H H for high sensitivity it a design that been about for about 10 years simple but effective. can be picked up on ebay for around £50 for the H model.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I agree with the above posts. The simple Garmin units can be found second hand quite cheap and sometimes Aldi and Lidl do a special on them. Also upgrading your mobile to a GPS, if possible, could be an inexpensive route to take. Either way there is a slight learning curve if you aren't familiar with the devices. Some mobiles with GPS might only give lat & long coordinates, not a UK grid reference. A mobile with installable apps, such as an Android phone, have free apps that give you grid reference readouts. You can buy as Samsung Galaxy Apollo (Android) outright from Carphone Warehouse for around 75 quid at the moment.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have garmin etrek. It is basic compared to some of the newer models but i.m.o its all you need in the UK with the great maps we have here. Mind you I used it in the Canadian Rockies when I worked out there and it did the job there well enough :)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

May 16, 2011
Perth
im not planning on relying on a gps just though it could come in handy if i was somewhere baron and next to no viability. i always carry maps and a compass or three but the extra weight could well come in handy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
GPS on phones work well, my phone is as good as my Garmin and the phone is over two years old. DON'T buy a phone for GPS though, it sucks the battery dry so use a hand held unit that takes the spare batteries you no doubt will carry. GPS are like maps, both fantastic kit and its great having them but you still need to know how to use them. My local smack generator...sorry, Cash Generator often have basic models in for about £30 used.

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
if you are lost in or in a white out say a gps is brilliant at giving you your present position

you still need a map and compass.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE