Is My Pattern '58 A Fake?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
I recently bought another pattern '58 water bottle and upon getting it home I'm now curious as to whether or not it's a fake, or just part of a poor batch that was manufactured.

It has the same red seal as my previous one and the moulding incorporates the 'Osprey' name. However, it is a very loose fit in the mug, compared to the nice snug fit of my previous version. The moulding also incorporates a '2010' date mark as opposed to the '2006' of my earlier vintage.

Has anyone else experienced a similar loose fit like this? Is it part of a genuine, but bad, batch, or are the fakes getting better?

It looks & feels to be of the same materials and manufacturing process and I think, (I can't remember for sure), that I bought it from the same source. I guess I'm just concerned about the integrity of the water seal if it is a fake.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I get the impression you're saying the bottle is a sloppy fit in the mug? as opposed to it actually leaking?

Genuine osprey bottles will have an N.S.N.,as well as the makers name and the date moulded into them and you should be unable to squeeze the bottle at all.

If it is leaking, take it back and get a refund.

R.B.

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
Exactly R.B.

It does have an N.S.N, it's not leaking, (at least not yet, I haven't used it in anger, just tested it indoors), but it is a very loose fit in the mug.

As for being able to squeeze it, I didn't notice that. I'll try it tonight.

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
I don't have it with me to compare.

However, my other pattern '58 is a genuine one, and the new one looks the same in everyway, (aside from the digits moulded into it: 2010 Vs 2006 and the serial No. is probably different). It even has the same kind of flashing on the base, from the manufacturing process. The only difference I can detect is that the new one is a very loose fit in the mug. I just wondered if anyone else has a version, which they know is genuine, and also rattles?

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
Johnboy: I'm aware that the '2010' in the moulding is the production date - that's why I was querying if it had come from a bad batch. The function of the bottle isn't a problem, (or at least it shouldn't be, if the thing is genuine), the rattle itself is the problem - it's bluudy annoying. Thanks for taking the time to comment though.

Johnnythefox: No, they're not shaved off. No sign of anything untoward, except the poor fit.

Comeonbaby....: There may be lots of bodge-ups I could utilise, but those 2 aren't 2 that I would use: I'm not going to compromise the fit of the cup with my existing, older, (2006), bottle, which is a genuine. I won't put tape round the bottle because sooner or later the lip of the tape will roll over and start leaving a sticky gunk on the inside of the mug. A better solution would be to just slip a patch of cloth, or some leaves, between bottle and mug. I shouldn't have to resort to any remedial measures though - that's the annoying bit. Still, once again, thanks for your input.

My best guess so far is that this bottle is genuine, but has come from a poor batch - although no one else seems to have had a similar experience with their own bottles.

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
Forgot to say: Or else the fakes certainly are getting better. That's my real concern. If it does turn out to be a fake, will it start to leak after a short time?

One last comment, just by way of explanation: This whole issue may seem quite petty, however, I often take more than one litre of water with me in this hot climate. Now, I'm no kit-queen and my back-up containers are usually just old 0.5ltr juice bottles. They're lighter and plenty strong enough - they do after all take quite a battering in the supermarkets without leaking, most of the time. It's just that I'd like at least one of my containers to be bomb-proof and the GENUINE pattern '58 waterbottles have a proven track record. Hence the reason for my query.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I would think if it's marked Osprey, Has a NSN on it and a production Date and looks in all other respects like your definately genuine Bottle then it sounds like it's the real deal. What Cup are you saying it rattles around in a Steel BCB one or the Plastic one??

WeThePeoplexfbm

Settler
Dec 27, 2010
Australlia- NSW.
well 58 patten bottle are supper rare to find here auss, but fake are every where and the fake i got isnt soft plastic , it really thick hard plastic no stamp or markins, ^^ i like my fake one :) fake stuff is slowly gettign better
---
Skipp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE