Keeping the cold at bay

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

V4V

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2009
Yorkshire
www.r4nger5.com
I live in a bell tent , so spend most of my time outdoors, even in the current spate of snow.

I'm currently sporting:

Stealth gear trousers (alt ANY long johns coupled with army lightweights)
thermal long sleeved Tshirt (£5 for two at B&ms)
Heavy cotton Tshirt
Fleece Jumper
pound shop buff copy
Thin cheap socks covered with Army arctic socks
Assault boots
Snugpack softie reversible jacket
Jeep drivers woolen hat (army surplus)
Thinsulate mittens

result - ready for even the -15c we had at the weekend

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I like the look of some of these Finish shelters which have a silver coated interior to reflect the heat...

http://www.scandinavianoutdoorstore.com/en/teltat-ja-majoittuminen/laavut-ja-louteet/

eg

Vihe_Loue_1.jpg

or

laavurankinen.jpg

Now you've done it.......

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I tend to lay up too, a longer back in the outer garment helps to stop drafts up the back too.

Last weekend in Scotland when it was well into the minuses I wore ...

Icebreaker Oasis 200
Woolpower 200g
Woolpower 400g
Swannie Extreme

Along with an army wool headover and a merino beanie I was nice and toasty and never got out a coat all weekend (apart from paddling and the heavy snow showers)

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
I use a small, thin wool blanket. I fold it as a triangle, make sure my clothes don't separate at the back, and drape the blanket over me with the long side of the triangle following my shoulders and arms. That keeps my backside warm, even if the blanket isn't thick at all.

Sometimes I use my center seat from my guide boat as it has a back rest and just drape the blanket onto that. But if it's really cold, it's easier to have it draped as above.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I feel the cold much more now as I'm a year off 60.
So yesterday I ordered some merino wool thermals (top and bottom) 200 gram weight, at £ 76.00 I'm hoping I can get out more in this lovely snow.

Apr 15, 2010
Birkenhead, Merseyside
Everything on this thread is a great way to keep yourself warm. Being a Raynauds sufferer in both my hands and feet, it gets very cold fast!

Spiritwalker made a very good suggestion about wearing thin cotton socks underneath a good pair of thermal socks is fantastic. I was taught to do this when I was in the Air Training Corps, they said it was an essential thing to do especially on Annual Camp. I also washed my feet before I went to bed, which worked a charm :). One of my friends suggested I should buy a pair of those battery powered heat socks, sounds a bit ludicrous, but Im curious to try them. Does anybody own a pair and willing to give a review of them?

I would also recommend a Polar Fleece Honcho. I bought one at a festival I went to last year and it has never let me down. It kept my back warm too which is a big bonus. You can buy them here.

For base layers I wear a rash guard. I practise Brazilian Jiu Jitsu so I have both MMA and water sport rash guards. The MMA type keeps you cool whilst the water sports type keep you warm. The reason why I had to explain the different types was because I knew a friend who bought an MMA one thinking it would be a warm base layer and he was shivering soon after haha.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE