RM Nanok sleeping bags ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
I was looking at his Canada Jay sleeping bag and was wondering what Nanok themselves call it ?
I guess what I'm trying to say is what is the sane sleeping bag in Nanoks range, without the RM association ?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I was looking at his Canada Jay sleeping bag and was wondering what Nanok themselves call it ?
I guess what I'm trying to say is what is the sane sleeping bag in Nanoks range, without the RM association ?

The Woodlore bags are made for them by Nanok however they are quite different in style and design from those that Nanok sell. The Woodlore bags have superior zips and a better internal baffle design and zip up the middle rather than the side. No connection with the company but I have several bags from both manufacturers to choose from. Although I do not own a Canada Jay I have had a good look at one, it is huge and probably best suited for extended use in really really cold environments. I have used the lighter Golden Eagle model in a snow trench at -40c (ish) and was quite cosy.

:)

Last edited:

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Hey sandbender I'd be interested to know about the baffles in the RM bags, they're difficult to see in the pics on his site. I'm in the market for a new sleeping bag and was thinking about one of those, they look pretty good.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm in the market for a new sleeping bag and was thinking about one of those, they look pretty good.

They are. I'm usually dubious of the celeb/kit association thing, but these are worth every penny. I've had the Nanok SF range of Endurance bags which are the alternatives that they make, but everything about the Woodlore versions is superior.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hey sandbender I'd be interested to know about the baffles in the RM bags, they're difficult to see in the pics on his site. I'm in the market for a new sleeping bag and was thinking about one of those, they look pretty good.

I may have the terminology wrong, when I mentioned the baffle I was referring to a section of material that sits inside the bag and beneath the hood, it is padded and can drawn tight around the neck with a drawcord. It can also be kept tight around the chest or waist preventing warmth from escaping in chilly climes if you need to rummage in a pack, get a brew on or are just getting dressed in the morning. :)

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
STICK EM UP !! :D this thread is being hijacked ! :jacked:

Yeh that's what I meant sandbender, so is the baffle a separate item, not attached to the bag so you can move it to wherever you like ? Or do the bags have multiple drawcords ?

Also how do you find the wieght and size ? I currently use a military arctic bag but I'd like something a bit smaller and lighter.

Shame woodlore don't do down filled ones because the rest of the design looks and sounds pretty awesome.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Think I'm veering towards a Golden Eagle bag from Woodlore. Anybody else got one, what you think ?

Excellent bag, it's a very warm bag though and I've used mine down to -30 or so.

STICK EM UP !! :D this thread is being hijacked ! :jacked:

Yeh that's what I meant sandbender, so is the baffle a separate item, not attached to the bag so you can move it to wherever you like ? Or do the bags have multiple drawcords ?

the baffles are integral and not removeable, with drawcords.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...so is the baffle a separate item, not attached to the bag so you can move it to wherever you like ? Or do the bags have multiple drawcords ?..."

As Jonathan has said, they are not removable.

"...Also how do you find the wieght and size ? I currently use a military arctic bag but I'd like something a bit smaller and lighter..."

It isn't that light and it doesn't pack down so small, but it provides a comfortable nights sleep even after many nights out and about. For longer trips where weight is an issue I use a Crux bag, much smaller and much lighter. I have a down bag too which is huge but always very comfy. :)

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I have used a Golite Adrenaline 3 for the last two years and found it really good. I personal found it lives up to it's comfort rate, it's not the lightest Down bag out there but at less the 1Kg it good enough. What sold for me do was the Half centre zip as this makes Hammock and Bivvy bag use a hole lot easier. Here is link for Backpacking Light UK http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product362.asp?PageID=37
James

blanco1962

Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
I recently condisered the RM Canada Jay for a trip to the arctic circle but was put off by the cost. I then discovered the Snugpac Antarctica bag, about £100 so a considerable saving, as well rated on both comfort and extreme and it has a centrezip and great baffles. team this up with a Snugpac Special forces bivy also with a centre zip and you have an extremely viable alternative to the RM bag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE