The Reason you need to practice with your equipment !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
There's no need to be so critical without good reason, Sure he did fail but at least he showed his failure and he then eventually achieved his goal. We've never seen you light a fire so for all we know you could have the same difficulties as this guy.

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
Good on him for putting this video online. I think it shows how a once common skill like fire lighting has been lost in our modern world and also how hard it can be to light a fire even with the correct equipment.

Last edited:
I thought that was a great video it was entertaining and educational at the same time. It just shows not everyone is an instant expert. Big thumbs up to the guy for posting it, I certainly wouldnt of. If it were me I would of hit delete and gone away and practised until I had it down to a fine art before putting my efforts on show.

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
good vid actually, has many of the same problems i face, lots of smoldering but no flames. I put this down to water in the leafs or whatever, but often its nigh impossible to get that flame.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
I very much doubt the kettle would blow up. The cork would probably pop out but thats all. lol.

Either the cork blows out followed by a gushing stream of boiling water or the seam of the kettle parts with the same effect, I know because I saw it happen and the guy was badly scaulded.
If you look on Kelly Kettles site the instructions are quite clear
http://www.kellykettle.com/how-to-use-the-kelly-kettle.html
This is just more You tube muppetry

Last edited:

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Pandabean.

When I made my first bow drill, it took me three days to get it to light anything. I had all the dry grass you could wish for, but had not been shown the difference between the dark brown embers, and the near black ones, so did not know why they would not light the char cloth, tissue or grass I had lol.

I remember being so tired, that when it became time to speed up to get the embers really going well, I was looking down at my bowing arm and it was simply refusing to do what my brain was telling it! I was thinking 'come on now faster faster' while watching it get slower and slower lol.

The odd, but very important thing was that once I could do it, it became very easy, and I now can get good embers almost instantly.

Practicing anything, and practicing it in real life environments is always time well spent.

Ray,

I know what you mean about the arm slowing down but the brain telling it to go faster, I was exactly the same. Kept getting told, only 10 more strokes and that should be it, but the arm just got slower.

I need to get back and practice it, havent really had a go for a while now. Got my old set out in the shed, but its pretty worn out from that week last year. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE