Thermarest Neo Air mattress

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Just received my Neo Air. Bought it in large for extra comfort. Ultra Light Outdoors seemed to be the only one to stock it in that size; 63 x 196cm. Only weighs 550g or just over one pound. Folds up nice and small and only took about ten breaths to inflate.

One problem though, it only just fits in my standard army issue goretex bivvy which means that when I put my sleeping bag in as well and then climb in the bivvy bag is stretched tight over my torso and legs. Which is a bummer as I like a bit of space to move around. Looks like I'll have to get a bigger bivvy. Or cut down and sew another panel in, which sounds like a job for someone with a sewing machine. Bah!

Going wild camping in the New Forest on Friday so will let you know how the Neo Air mattress performs.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
Just received my Neo Air. Bought it in large for extra comfort. Ultra Light Outdoors seemed to be the only one to stock it in that size; 63 x 196cm. Only weighs 550g or just over one pound. Folds up nice and small and only took about ten breaths to inflate.

One problem though, it only just fits in my standard army issue goretex bivvy which means that when I put my sleeping bag in as well and then climb in the bivvy bag is stretched tight over my torso and legs. Which is a bummer as I like a bit of space to move around. Looks like I'll have to get a bigger bivvy. Or cut down and sew another panel in, which sounds like a job for someone with a sewing machine. Bah!

Going wild camping in the New Forest on Friday so will let you know how the Neo Air mattress performs.

finally someone who can tell us what its like first hand. i wouldnt have gone for long myself but then again im only 6ft.

what we all really want to know is, does it deflate a little as the temp drops and is it robust enough to withstand regular semi abusive use!!!

i eagerly await your response!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Russ, warthog1981, had one at the Moot to try out for a review on SotP.
He'll probably correct me if I got it wrong but the gist seemed to be that if you really needed lightweight and small pack size, and weren't maybe so concerned about it's apparant fragility, then it was really, really good. It might well be a lot tougher than it looks though.

I'll give him a hint and see if he'll post on this thread.

cheers,
Toddy

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I found the same when i used a full length gellert matt in my issue bivy bag. I felt like on of those vacuum packed deli meats, the ones with a cardboard back :rolleyes:

A hot ember solved that problem whilst i was using my matt as a seat whilst watching the fire. Now i have a 3/4 and besides the most chilly of winter days its fine.

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Russ, warthog1981, had one at the Moot to try out for a review on SotP.
He'll probably correct me if I got it wrong but the gist seemed to be that if you really needed lightweight and small pack size, and weren't maybe so concerned about it's apparant fragility, then it was really, really good. It might well be a lot tougher than it looks though.

I'll give him a hint and see if he'll post on this thread.

cheers,
Toddy

As Toddy says Ive had a loan of one for a little while.
My first impression is that it does pack up very very small and not weight very much.
The one I had was the largest one it very comparable to the Exped DLX down mat for size and comfort cant say on how warm it will be in the colder months as Ive only slept on it in the summer.
I took it down to the moot to sleep on and the verdict is its very comfy slept very well on it and was plenty warm enough no cold spots on my back at all.
down side is it does seem very fragile compared to to Exped mat I,d be inclined to cut a light weight ground sheet to put underneath it just for a little more protection.
All in all very good for a very lightweight mat very comfortable very compact but still seem fragile.

Cheers Russ

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
So I wild camped in the New Forest with the Neo Air. I bought the extra large one even though I'm only 5'7". I figured as it only weighed just over a pound and was extra wide at 63cm I should use it. Unfortunately it doesn't really fit inside my standard army bivi bag. Well, it does, but I feel like I'm wedged in like an overstuffed envelope when I get inside my sleeping bag. Which means I'll have to buy a bigger bivi bag if I want to sleep outside.
This time I was in a tent so it didn't matter. It took about 20 breaths to blow it up. I can say I had a good night's sleep. It was supportive and comfortable. My bag didn't slip off due to the matt finish of the surface. I think because it's so light it seems flimsier than it really is. Despite the price I'd recommend this mat for anyone who wants comfort and lightness in one product. It don't think it will be the warmest of mats but that's where a decent sleeping bag and thermals comes in. For summer camping with a very thin sleeping bag in a cool summer's night it was fine.

By their own admission Alpkit's Numo is not going to have as good insulative qualities due to the difference in construction. I'm desperate to hear some user reviews though regarding comfort as it's about 40% of the cost of a regular Neo Air and only marginally heavier.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE