Raymond to the rescue (Raoul Moat)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
"Revealed yesterday"? I read about Ray being involved on the Thursday or Friday of the week it came to an end. Wasn't sure at the time, but I suppose this does confirm it. Maybe he and Gazza shared a lift ;)

Last edited:

whale_omelette

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2010
north
i have to admit i did giggle when i heard this. i suppose its the image of ray picking up raouls used plastic bags and t-shirt and saying 'he could of used these to make a jazzy handy tent, the fool!'
i dont know- just amused me!

Harley

Forager
Mar 15, 2010
London
Question: If you were an acknowledged tracking expert and were called upon for this task, would you feel slightly embarassed when after several days you had failed to find the fugitive, who is then 'discovered' within a few hundred metres of his abandoned vehicle (i.e. your start point)?

whale_omelette

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2010
north
yep!
also the rubbish he had left about was a bit of a give away-
maybe we should all turn to that reporter who found the t-shirt for bushcraft/tracking lessons.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I remember Tom Brown saying that the biggest problem in man tracking is getting out beyond all the police and other people to find an undisturbed trail

mattweasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2010
hertfordshire england
I think you'll find Ray was called in after the police were unable to track Moat down when he had left his hiding place in woodland. So I think he was'nt there right from the beginning, but more like towards the end. I think the police must have been glad of any help they could get after spending a week looking for this guy.
If Moat was hiding near the village he would have been hard to track there because all the tracks would have been fouled by every person who passed that point over the last few weeks.

soulstar1963

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2010
stoke on trent
I may be wrong but i can't see there being a grain if truth in this. Lets look at the facts, there's a nutter on the run with who knows what weapons at his disposal, he's already killed once, attempted two other murders and has said he's going to kill again. What bright spark would think, i know lets get a civilian to go in and try to track him. A civilian thats very high profile,a world wide known television personality, unarmed and if anything went wrong it would look very bad for the police, with no chance of any deniability. The armed forces, especially the s.a.s.or the even better trained s.b.s. have people well versed in the art of tracking, who could have been armed and who's skills exceed that of Ray Mears. It could also be that the police and the media fabricated this story to hide the fact that special forces were involved as im sure they would have been. Furthermore with all the publicity involved in this incident i can't imagine Ray coming out and denying it.

Last edited:

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
This was all about PR. Get Ray's name associated with the case, then they can say "we did everything possible to find him." I'll bet he wasn't used on the ground, what would be the point? Far more useful armed with a map looking for places where Moat might be able to hole up.

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
This was all about PR. Get Ray's name associated with the case, then they can say "we did everything possible to find him." I'll bet he wasn't used on the ground, what would be the point? Far more useful armed with a map looking for places where Moat might be able to hole up.

Indeed, he may not have been running through the woods after Moat, but he may well have been advising the Police on where to look, and when they'd secured an area (where the tent was found for example) send Ray in to investigate

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
There seems to be a lot of talk about having a set of footprints to follow.
Wouldn't psychology play a bigger factor in tracking someone down, especially seeing that he was also in a built up area as well as being in the woods?

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Can you imaging the scene if they'd invited Bear Grylls instead? A bit like Gazza's intervention:

"Bear Grylls arrived on the scene looking for Moat. He brought some roadkill badger to eat, a bottle of his own wee for refreshment, and a dead deer to climb inside if they get cold"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE