Cody Lundin - 98.6 the Art of Keeping Your bottom Alive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I'm about 1/3 of the way through Cody Lundin's book but it's far enough that I can give it a 110% recommendation. This is a very sophisticated and well researched book by a very knowledgeable person. My field of study is comparative physiology and Lundin has impressed me with his knowledge of thermal physiology. This is not just a book on pitching a tarp or sharpening a knife. There's a lot of info in it about psychology and physiology in relation to survival. But like I said, I'm ony 1/3 way through it. Got lots more to read. :-D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1586852345/qid=1069897381/026-6260011-2782848

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Stunning book, utterly unlike anything else out there. Learned but accessible, and I can even forgive him the groanworthy humour. Not the usual survival book at all, but one that perhaps better than most forces you to think about the why of things.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
The more I read it the more I enjoy it. Classes are just about over for me so I'm about to put some real time into finishing it.

The one thing I find very interesting is his emphasis on acclimation or what is probably better termed acclimatization. I think he's probably right that there is evidence to suppose that nonshivering thermogenesis in humans is enhanced by acclimatization but he does not have a strong understanding of what nonshivering thermogenesis is or how it functions physiologically. Nonshivering thermogenesis in humans is a very complex subject though.

Interestingly, over the years I've often read that one way to prepare for an Arctic expedition is to eat a lot of rare meat. This has also been reported by people that have lived with the Inuit for extended periods of time. So in this case, it's not the external environment that acclimatizes you, but your diet that enhances your ability to stay warm in the cold.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Ha, seen this book about here and there and was curious about the title, but never gave it much thought. Hoodoo has just tipped me off, 98.6 - human body temperature (in farrenheit). I dont know why I didn't realise it before. I guess I'm so used to thinking of it as 37 deg C. I notice that hoodoo has converted "bottom" to "bottom" in the thread title for the benefit of us Brits, perhaps the title should be "37 - The art of keeping your bottom alive" for the UK release? :lol: :lol:

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
Just got round to buying/reading this. Can't recommend it enough. There are some very interesting Cody Lundin clips on YouTube as well, and anybody who acknowledges the usefulness of listening to heavy metal for those who wish to survive desrves a medal. :)

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Read this book today. Will probably read it again tomorrow. This is a seriously good survival ( as opposed to bushraft ) book that as a total novice I heartily recommend.

Gavmar

Life Member
Jan 24, 2010
Dagenham Essex
His second book, When all hell breaks loose, I think is even more interesting. Although I did enjoy the first one as well. If you like the first one your gonna love his second book.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE