Money no object tent...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Thanks Andy ,Mine is a 3 man ,nylon fly and porch all in one.
I havn't used mine in ages but im going to dig it out incase i get to the LRO show.
:biggthump
RB

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Another vote for Terra Nova - best in the business bar none. Bombproof, durable (mine's near 20 years old and I'd still pick it over almost anything available today). Brilliant designs.

At this level, with no concerns about cost, you pick on key features. I prefer the continuous pole sleeves used by Terra Nova and North Face. Mountain hardwear clip their inners to the poles with plastic hooks which I think is inferior, though they manage to get a good taught pitch despite it. MSR tents seem sound but are not in the same class.

I find a good sized bel (porch, vestibule, whatever!) a key feature. None of the current designs are as good as they could be for this, but the North Face VE-25 is decent and proven over 25 years if you can live with the color. If you can't, I'd buy:

the super quasar for strength
innersupper.jpg

or the Quasar ETC for extra porch space
quasaretc2.jpg

Check out ebay - if you can afford to wait a few weeks you can save £100 to £150 of SRP on high end tents like these.

Cheers

leon-1

My vote goes with Terra - Nova, I have useed the quasar and I own an ultra Voyager (I've had it a long time).

The Super Quasar Endurance is capable of providing shelter for three and is slightly less costly then the hyperspace, you'll also find that about the only thing that will move one once it is set up is a direct hit from a nuke :eek:):

Douglas

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2004
Switzerland
tomtom said:
has anyone mentioned moskoselkatan yet? as i have said before... i will never go back to a igloo ten!

How about a Kifaru in that case? They're a tad lighter, good enough (see reviews) and can even come with a fully foldable, closed, wood-burning stove, that even has a chimney so you don't suffocate with the smoke. Much nicer and safer than an open fire IMO. Plus you can easily cook over it (like you'd cook on a stove at home).

Having said this I've never tried any of the two, so I don't know how they compare, but I'd probably choose the kifaru mostly because of the stove, the shape (oval, less wind resistance so stays up better) and the pitching (no need for guy-lines). They're even a bit cheeper (something like $656 for the Kifaru, and 640€ for the Moskosel, and euros are worth quite a bit more than dollars!)

If you want a 2-man tent style one, check out this one, weighs less than 1.5kg and bigger than any I've ever seen or heard of (but it's a tipi, no floor, no inner tent). Or if you want a normal tipi well just have a look at the others.

Another that might need to be considered is how easy it is to put up in the wind...if it long and complicated to put up and the wind is doing it's best effort to blow it away while you're setting it up it could be quite hectic...I've never put a tent up in the wind though, so I don't know if that really is to be considered (maybe it's easier than it seems).

Force Tens : I see other people like them :lol: We've got a green two-man model, one of the first ones probably, as it's thirty years old...They're excellent, but some people manage to go for a few days with a bag lighter than just that tent...(6kg for a 2-man, who can beat that?)
I'll adapt a Patek Philippe advert :
"You never really own a Force Ten, you merely take care of it for the next generation"

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Douglas said:
"You never really own a Force Ten, you merely take care of it for the next generation"
:rolmao:

I like the look of the Kifaru ,anyone ever used one?

RB

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Ok, after hunting around, I have found the Terra Nova Hyperspace for £430 so that's what I'm going to go for as soon as I have sorted my money out (I'm on a kit buying binge at the moment).

If the tent turns out to be rubbish I'll hunt you all down and poke you with a stick :)

Thanks for the advice, without you lot I'd be buying a bright yellow North Face tent :yikes:

Joe

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Just to be different I'll suggest a Force Ten Spindrift, bright orange and heavy I'm afraid though they do a smaller version, really nicely made tent and tough.

http://www.forcetentents.com/products/tents/spindrift.htm

But then I'm basically a Vango fan, having used the same MK3ST cotton for 20 odd years, Ive also got the green nylon fly for it, but the cotton pitches better, despite having too many tents to choose from my old Force Ten A frame remains my favourite when I want to pitch quickly in any conditions with complete confidence.

Jason

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
lugged a bloomin force10 around 10 tours last year B :***: dy thing.. ok so it can take a hell of a beating.. but thats only if you have the strength to get the dam thing down the garden path!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE