How much are women able to carry?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Think of it this way they can carry more babies to term that men, and then sustain said baby thereafter. Biology.

Ebwrust maximum. 12.5 percent body mass climbing 25% along trails, and up to 50 percent on flat smooth ground.

...............or as much as they can get in there hand bag.
Yes. And they’re tired, hungry, and grouchy the whole time. And sick a great deal of it.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Women also weigh less than men......

48337.jpg
After decades of weighing every single passenger the FAA came up with the averages:
Men = 165 pounds on average
Women = 140 pounds on average

Those figures are based on averages from 1945 until 1963. Both are probably light for today’s more obese generation (and indeed my generation’s more obese status today)

Last edited:
Reactions: Erbswurst

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I bet you arm wrestle Chuck Norris until he cries during your lunch break and can urinate all the way to the top of a 5000 year old sequoia but sadly without a video proving it, this is a bit like:

Never tried sequoias. I logged, paperwooded, farmed, clerked a country store, swam in the rapids, broke horses, roped cattle, hunted, fished, got in fights at school, etc; all in the Southeast. Mostly as a teenage boy way back before I enlisted over 40 years ago (back before people filmed normal daily life)

None of that is anything spectacular; it’s all just part of being a country boy. If anything, I was more coddled that the other kids my age because I was asthmatic. If you believe any of that’s anything more than a normal childhood, it’s not my fault you’ve had such a protected and boring life.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The Soviet army used a high percentage of female snipers during WW2, apparently because they were ideally suited for the task.
They did indeed. That said, sniping isn’t hard physical, labor. It involves more stealth, patience, and cunning.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I don't think there is a definitive answer to this question, I am sure that if you got two men or two women who had the identical height and weight, this would not guarantee they could both carry the same weight, think of the London marathon, the runners start of at the same time, some finish within 3 hours, others take up to 6 or more to finish, they all are running at their own capacity and no doubt some who finish quick have the same age, weight, height as some of those who take a lot longer, there are so many variables regarding health strength and stamina, that there is probably no defined formula.
As someone suggested the weight carried and the distance covered will be determined by the person themselves, whatever they feel comfortable with, it would be folly to overload anyone beyond their physical capacity.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Never tried sequoias. I logged, paperwooded, farmed, clerked a country store, swam in the rapids, broke horses, roped cattle, hunted, fished, got in fights at school, etc; all in the Southeast. Mostly as a teenage boy way back before I enlisted over 40 years ago (back before people filmed normal daily life)

None of that is anything spectacular; it’s all just part of being a country boy. If anything, I was more coddled that the other kids my age because I was asthmatic. If you believe any of that’s anything more than a normal childhood, it’s not my fault you’ve had such a protected and boring life.

Perhaps I was too subtle Santaman - I’ll try again! :)

In the BCUK playground, the OP asked a rather pointless question a bit like “how much longer is a piece of blue string compared to a piece of pink string?”

Birchwood replied a bit crossly saying that pink string was at least as long as blue string.

Apparently having had his masculinity threatened by the length of Birchwood’s pink string Santaman went off on a bizarre rant saying that his green string was much thicker than Birchwood’s pink string and had been used to tie up lots of big heavy things that no woman could manage. Unfortunately Santaman didn’t have any pictures of the green string as it rotted away years ago but he did have a nice picture of a logging truck instead!

Another glorious day forecast for the UK and most of Northern Europe and I’m guessing that Birchwood’s pink string (whatever length it is) will be out enjoying the sunshine, the OP will be indoors hard at work on his masterpiece “The Definitive Guide to Random Outdoors Kit Trivia” meanwhile over in Florida, Santaman will be typing away furiously to prove that he really is (or at least was when he was a teenager), more of a man than than any woman could ever be, while reminiscing fondly about his green string and those happy days spent watching GIs training! ;)

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The OP walked in the last two weeks round about 400 km and was riding the bike another 160 km in this time and has to work now a bit at the writing desk, because he will start in a couple of days to southern France, where he will have enough of options to walk in the sun.

Reactions: Janne

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019

In the BCUK playground, the OP asked a rather pointless question a bit like “how much longer is a piece of blue string compared to a piece of pink string?”

Birchwood replied a bit crossly saying that pink string was at least as long as blue string.

Apparently having had his masculinity threatened by the length of Birchwood’s pink string Santaman went off on a bizarre rant saying that his green string was much thicker than Birchwood’s pink string and had been used to tie up lots of big heavy things that no woman could manage. Unfortunately Santaman didn’t have any pictures of the green string as it rotted away years ago but he did have a nice picture of a logging truck instead!

Another glorious day forecast for the UK and most of Northern Europe and I’m guessing that Birchwood’s pink string (whatever length it is) will be out enjoying the sunshine, the OP will be indoors hard at work on his masterpiece “The Definitive Guide to Random Outdoors Kit Trivia” meanwhile over in Florida, Santaman will be typing away furiously to prove that he really is (or at least was when he was a teenager), more of a man than than any woman could ever be, while reminiscing fondly about his green string and those happy days spent watching GIs training! ;)

this is the definitive answer, and the sun is splitting the sky here on the banks of the river Tay.

Reactions: Nomad64

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The question is perhaps pointless for myself, because I can carry far more than I need.

But I think it is every thing else than pointless for women who want to go trekking.

Especially beginners need that informations before they start to buy equipment. I think the stuff we usually discuss in this forum often is a bit to heavy for them.

Reactions: Janne

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com

Brilliant! Made me larf :) in a nutshell that's about it, shall we just move on now and enjoy what's left of our Easter holiday?

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Would you say your previous life has damaged your body?

I am damaged. And when I do carry a backpack, I am very careful with mivements, steps and so on. A misstep 20 years ago was fine, today it can mean my knee replacement has to be brought forward.
Yes.. in a nutshell! Yes let's stop worrying about this issue and enjoy the sunshine! You only know how much you can carry by carrying it and learning to discard stuff that you don't need . I must agree it's a wee bit of a pointless question and very subjective to the person concerned so nobody can say that x y or z is correct.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Everybody should buy, use and carry what he wants to.

But in my opinion there is indeed a right way and a wrong way to do those things.

Most experienced hikers recommend more or less the same packing list, more or less the same equipment, more or less the same volume and weight for similar, let's say normal conditions.

It is absolutely useless for a beginner, if we say: "Just try out what suits you!"

That was right in the twenties of the last century, where the only equipment was military equipment and a bit similar civil stuff. But now a days a beginner can buy a lot of different offers with very different weight and volume and of course it's possible to recommend an equipment to "normal" people.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Erbswurst my dear it seems you have an obsession with equipment and weight. ! Nowadays and then are I agree two different scenarios but just lighten up a bit (sorry about the pun)and stop obsessing about it. It's good to have an interest in it but I fear you realy go a bit far wondering worrying and researching and recommending stuff. Many of us and particularly beginners do not have the money to splash out on the latest gadgets or lightest bit of kit, which makes it irrelevant. So get off your computer and go for a nice ramble somewhere for a couple of hours or go have a drink down the pub with your freinds and stop thinking about your kit! There are other things in life, enjoy them. I hope you have a lovely day.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
As I wrote I enjoyed to walk round about 400 km in the last two weeks and now I enjoy working a bit at the writing desk and in the intermissions sitting around and thinking about kit and the question how much weight women are able to carry over longer distances and what should be recommended to normal persons.

You are wrong, if you think, that light equipment necessarily is more expensive than heavier equipment.

That was right 20 years ago, but it changed.

Now a days it isn't necessary any more to carry more than what is comfortable, especially in summer times.

And it's unhealthy to overload the body.

I find it very interesting, that I got here only a few real answers to my question. Of course most people who are interested in trekking are doing it over eastern. So I hope to get some more answers next week. But I really ask myself, why we nearly have only men in this forum.

Perhaps, because the stuff we discuss here is to heavy for women. I can't believe, that they aren't interested in hiking. I see a lot of women hiking. But they use different equipment, and I have the impression that most I meet don't carry a camping equipment, but are coming from a camping ground or hotel.

I see more women with camping equipment using a bike or a boat. And I guess, the reason is that they find, that the rucksacks are to heavy.

Might be wrong, might be right.

Reactions: santaman2000

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I guess the answer to that Erbswurst is that women like comfort more than men. It is not seen as womanly to carry a huge and heavy pack but it is considered generaly to be a plus as a man if you can manage a large pack. (Sorry another pun there.. man- age) Personally I don't worry about it. But if you are thinking of taking a young lady with you on a trip I can see why you might be concerned . Might I suggest you take a look at camino packing lists on the dreaded you tube made by women. Obviously tents and cooking gear are not much discussed as people stay in hostels but it would give you a good idea on what the modern young lady considers essential for a long hike.
Personally I'd ditch the makeup and electronics that seem to be essential nowadays and replace it with cooking gear such as a pocket rocket and msr pan, and take a tarp or small tent. That's about all I'd need extra to one of these lists which would add a kilo or two but no more.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall

First of all the question asked is not pointless, and bears no resemblance to coloured string, the question is valid, read this link

https://jmvh.org/article/load-carriage-and-the-female-soldier/

If it is important for the British Army to investigate then it must be an important subject, If you think it is a stupid question, why bother getting involved , and trying to answer it with your coloured string analogy, and why refer to the BCUK playground, this is a forum, and a forum is a vehicle for discussion to take place, there is no such thing as a pointless question, because the person posting that question is either wanting advice, or wants reassurances to his own point of view on that matter.
When people express their view on a matter, and occasionally bring to light their experiences, why should they be belittled?
Better to say something rather than nothing at all., unless what you are about to say has little relevance, and is just a gripe.
I enjoy this forum, I enjoy reading the points of view of others, but each discussion, there is always someone who comes in and starts to drag the discussion down and those who have contributed to it, Why?, if you don't like what's being said move on, Don't spoil it for the rest, if you don't agree on what's being said, then relate your point of view on the matter in a factual way.
Just don't make it personal.

Mr Wolf

Jun 30, 2013
Nottinghamshire
First of all the question asked is not pointless, and bears no resemblance to coloured string, the question is valid, read this link

https://jmvh.org/article/load-carriage-and-the-female-soldier/

If it is important for the British Army to investigate then it must be an important subject, If you think it is a stupid question, why bother getting involved , and trying to answer it with your coloured string analogy, and why refer to the BCUK playground, this is a forum, and a forum is a vehicle for discussion to take place, there is no such thing as a pointless question, because the person posting that question is either wanting advice, or wants reassurances to his own point of view on that matter.
When people express their view on a matter, and occasionally bring to light their experiences, why should they be belittled?
Better to say something rather than nothing at all., unless what you are about to say has little relevance, and is just a gripe.
I enjoy this forum, I enjoy reading the points of view of others, but each discussion, there is always someone who comes in and starts to drag the discussion down and those who have contributed to it, Why?, if you don't like what's being said move on, Don't spoil it for the rest, if you don't agree on what's being said, then relate your point of view on the matter in a factual way.
Just don't make it personal.

Agreed.

As an example, if you look at weightlifting standards. A male and female baseline standard of persons of identical weight have a disparity of 40% ish for weight lifted for an untrained individual.

I dislike subjects like this as it creates arguments over nothing and people let perceived sexism get in the way of facts

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE