Opinions on a project please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Which style

• Thin same as neck strap

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Big and bold 2" one

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I have had this partially done for a few months now, so decided to try and finish it.

It is a craftsman’s apron made from an old army kit bag.

I am in two minds on the waist belt.

I could just go for some of the same leather as the neck strap is and just connect it on each side.

Or

I did buy some 2” of the same leather and a double prong buckle to give it a bit more oomph.
Also the belt could be used for other things. It would be similar to the one in the last picture and would sit between the two pockets.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I did something similar but instead of making eyelets I riveted one side and used poppers on the other so I can vary the height of the apron and waist size for when I have thick coats on etc.
nothing to do with future proofing it for my increasing belly of course...

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've used a variety of aprons over the years, still do, and I hate leather belted ones. I find they get in the way of free movement, a sort of semi-rigid midriff that I dislike. My most comfortable aprons have been those belted with a soft but strong canvas.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My apron belt is permanently attached at one end. Then just a single point of connection.
No pockets on the front face, they fill up with wood chips.
- Pencil pockets are horizontal behind the bib part.
- Tool pockets are behind the skirt part.
Me? I'd save that belt for some more inspired use.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Thanks for the thoughts and comments. I will probably save the wider leather and look at other options. Not in a rush, it has taken me a couple of months to get this far, keep sticking it on the back burner.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Even thinking of my own apron, what are the chances of making the thing double-sided?
One smooth face for lots of chips and sawdust, the other for shop tasks?

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Even thinking of my own apron, what are the chances of making the thing double-sided?
One smooth face for lots of chips and sawdust, the other for shop tasks?

If you went for a canvas waist band, that you just tie up on this one. You could easily flip it round. It would not look as good becuse of the folded over seam.
But if you were to do one made so it could be turned around and look good, you could edge the seams with a cotton binding.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The green color of your apron looks rich with the leather trimmings.

My apron belt has a lobster claw snap link into a big brass grommet, I can turn it over! How cool is that!
All I did on the edge was work some wood glue into the canvas to keep it from fraying.
There was some urgency to get it made up for safety reasons.

I carve with the Pacific Northwest native style crooked knives. That means pull strokes and the chance
of getting hit in the chest. I have cut both a few shirts and me. The apron is great protection, you
would see more scratches than I care to admit.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Some fabrics, cut into strings, just don't seem to have the friction to lend themselves to be tied in a knot.
But it's worth a try.

From time to time, I rough out carvings, or parts of them, with high-speed power tools.
I think the RotoZip turns 20,000 rpm and the SawMax turns 30,000 rpm.
Don't want the risk of "dangly bits" to distract me. I'm happy with some sort of secure snap or buckle.
There's never anyone there for the fashion show, anyway.

Even in the kitchen, I'd prefer a buckle to the traditional strings on aprons.
My electric mixers have load motors, more load = more power.
I'm quite certain that getting tangled in one of them would be costly to my anatomy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE