Recommend a carving glove !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Cut protection 2? What are they, marigolds?
meant to say "with cut protection too" :) & a free plaster. Problem being that carving chisels are so sharp & to give adequate protection, many layers of Kevlar would be required and then the hand/work sensation is lost.

purpleshark

Jul 30, 2017
Oxfordshire, UK
I never used to wear gloves when carving or using edged tools full stop to be honest.

Then my employer introduced a mandatory requirement for wearing cut resistant gloves for a lot of the everyday tasks we carry out.

They trialled a few different makes and amazingly, went with the best of the bunch-as opposed to the cheapest!!!

Anyway, I now spend the majority of my 12 hour shift wearing these:
http://www.skytecgloves.com/skytec-ninja-silver#.VHb1o8mmWN0

These are a level 5 cut resistant glove and as long as you get the right size, are superb for any situation where you might suffer from slashes or lacerating type wounding.

I usually wear the green trimmed, "8/m" size, which are quite close fitting and offer excellent feel, grip and dexterity.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-pairs-o...=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&hash=item3f409fc076

£5.49 inc postage from the above seller

They are truly excellent at preventing cuts, lacerations, nicks and any other injury you might pick up from an exposed sharp edge. I now use these for most activities involving metal tools, whether edged or not as they also offer a modicum of both impact and nip protection. It takes a little while to get used to wearing gloves for carving and other tasks where you need a feel for the job but once you've got it, you wonder how you managed not to cut yourself before.

I've not so far (taps head while saying: "touch wood") managed to cut myself while carving spoons, except for a few nicks from having a go with a frosts crook knife and never wore gloves when carving etc but do now.

They are however, useless for puncture protection and not so good for things like pallet wood splinters, So if you have a tendency to stab your hands, these wont do you much good.

Very highly recommended indeed.

Steve

Just bought myself a pair of these, thank you! Been looking for ages to find reviews etc on gloves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The kevlar gloves are fine. If you carve properly with both hands on a gouge for control, hard to get nicked, anyway.
Same goes for using a carver's polyurethane-faced mallet with larger gouges.

There are some distinct carving styles in which the wood is held in one hand and worked with the other.
I'd wear kevlar if I had the nerve to carve that way. They don't carve spoons.

I use cloth-lined thin leather work gloves for many reasons while carving and safety is not one of them.
In a past life, I wore the stainless steel mesh fish gloves (for fish) and they are superb when they fit right.
But like Kevlar, you will soon learn that they are not stab-proof.

Somewhere back in the archives of the Woodcaarving Illustrated forum threads are several discussions of gloves.
Collective opinions of value from experience.

rickwhite

Aug 7, 2014
Cheshire, UK
I just picked up a pair of "Showa S-Tex GP-1" gloves from Amazon, only about £7, cut protection level 4.
My previous pair "Showa 541" cut protection level 3, were thinner and had better dexterity but i have few holes in them in important locations after a few months of use. They were great but they just didn't last well enough. I've now cut some of the undamaged fingers off though to use as a "thumb stall" for my knife hand which works great as some additional protection on my knife hand.
Anyway, the new gloves are quite thick with the rubbery coating, very grippy but not the best for dexterity but they'll provide extra protection for all types of cuts, very little stab protection though.

If you only need a single finger or thumb protecting you could cut a finger off a leather glove to make a finger/thumb stall.

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
I don't wish to be a heretic here but it sounds as though your technique needs tweaking. If you rely on kevlar gloves to prevent cuts, you will delay the improvement in your carving technique. Each nick is instructive: work out why you ended up bleeding all over the floor and modify your practice accordingly. If you don't, the minute you're carving and don't have your kevlar gloves with you, you'll find yourself bleeding again; good technique will go a long way to prevent quite so many bloody accidents!

This is sound advice...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE