Ground Dwelling Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Have you actually tried them though? I thought the same thing. Thought they look silly. Then i bought a cheap pair since i wanted to use my tarp, where no trees are nearby. Used them like that a few times, and then actually used them as intended (that was the time i rubbed my wrist open, but even then, i noticed the difference in my legs and my back). The day after i bought some good poles (the straps on the ones i had were terrible), and haven't looked back since. I still think they look silly, i think i look silly using them, but i'm long past the time where i cared how i look, and will just use what's effective. They help a lot, even on paved terrain. (Unless your longest hike is just a couple of km over paved grounds into a campground, then sure, they won't be as usefull.)

Yeah, I did feel a bit self conscious at first, but fact is, they're designed for a purpose. And they fulfill it. If I'm on a stroll, then one is fine, right hand supporting left hip. If I'm walking in with a pack for a few days, then a pair really help. It's not just a joint thing, there's a great deal of weight distribution involved. Something I ignored as a tree surgeon hefting logs into trucks and dragging heavy armfuls of brash up someone's garden feeling all full on manly, but actually wearing my body.

I like poles, I can't not, a simple thing that is a great deal of help.

garyc

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2016
Hampshire
I picked up a pair of poles today, I went with the Forclaz 500, a lot more expensive than I was hoping but I took your advice and went for the softest hand hoops! With 43 miles and a total height gain matching Ben Nevis I can't afford to risk comfort... the cheapo ones had paracord hand loops... that seemed like it'd bite my in the **** later on!

I've modded them slightly in order to run paracord under the top caps, this gives me easier shelter setup (depending on the setup anyone).

My cheap ground sheet tarp arrived today too, but due to the weather I've not had a mess around with shelters, fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm just down the road in West Sussex, the rain was thundering off the roof about half hour ago, flooded out the gutters. The wind is still blustering up fair well, heard a plant pot hit the deck a minute ago. I'm not going out to investigate it :umbrella:

I use two types of pole, a pair of Feltys 3 section twisters. The loops aren't ideal on them, but they have a decent handle and screw on ferrule that doesn't disappear in mud never to be seen again. Friend of mine picked up 5 pairs of Levi Instructors for peanuts at a car boot and gave me a pair. Brilliant things, but they don't collapse into short mode like the 3 piece Kelty. They have a release button for the wrist loop, so it's easy to remove the pole to take a drink or go over a stile. It's a good feature.

We've gone off topic again haven't we? :lmao:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Nice65: steady as she goes. Spread the Rain fly. Throw the A-frame tent underneath that and get all pegged down.
Raise the tent under the fly in the pi$$ing rain. Rope up and shelter tarp over all and we can relax.
Standard OPs Down Under in winter!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE