Which Smock? [Or] Another smock thread!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I've been after a smock recently.

Mainly because I wanted something that would fully cover my behind, and the full length of the swanndri bush-shirt.

Found this one.

The Swedteam Ultra Light Stalking Smock in Green. £154.95 from black island outfitters.

526.jpg

Swedteam Ultra Light Waterproof Smock/Anorak-Waterproof Breathable Covertex Membrane- A 3 Layer product- Wind Resistant- REDUCED NOISE for Stalking/Walking- Generous Front pkts- Hand Wrmers x 2-Zippers for greater ventilation- Front zipper to get off and on- Bino /glove pkt at front-Soft reduced noise matieral-Covers the Backside! Great new Stalking at a great price -Sizes 36"-50" Colour Olive GreenNB NOT available until July 2015
Price £154.95

Looks pretty good.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If that's as good as it looks it's a good bargain at that price; I'm very tempted to try one of those as I like a long smock......Good find :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Well Swedteam are supposed to be be a good brand......I dont think for the money you could find a better one?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
have you seen those swazi clone type smocks, cant remember the name just now (someone will) but they are of a similar style

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I want to like smocks, really I do.
Problem is that I've owned a few and the lack of a full length zip just annoys me, gets too hot and you can't open it up properly.

Pros Look good in a Heroes of the Telemark way

Cons, if you get too hot you can't open them up enough, plus every time you take one off you flash yer belly (note, can be a pro of you is well ripped man).

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I feel your pain! However, I own a few and if they have a long enough zip to the solar plexus, then venting is normally good! Pit zips are a bonus, but look at the fabrics to work out your humidity levels!! Paramo are good for venting, however, I'd be mindful of such an expense getting tugged by thorns, etc.

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia

Ive read theyre akin to wearing a plastic bag as far as breathability goes... no offence to anyone who owns one.

Anyway, I got a bit lucky and splashed out a bit more, and ended up with a swazi tahr. The older one, with one bino pocket, in tussock, perfect for my needs, and to cover my swanni bushshirt.

thar-anorak-285x405.jpg

Theres something not quite right about that photo, standing with one hand on hip sticking belly out pose.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I want to like smocks, really I do.
Problem is that I've owned a few and the lack of a full length zip just annoys me, gets too hot and you can't open it up properly.

+ they are awkward to get on. Or off.

I agree, full length zip or no sale, applies to all my mid and outer layers.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Ive read theyre akin to wearing a plastic bag as far as breathability goes... no offence to anyone who owns one.

Anyway, I got a bit lucky and splashed out a bit more, and ended up with a swazi tahr

If the breathability is bad then steer well clear, a smock that size will build up some heat when you start moving
Academic now anyway since you've bought a swazi, should be good for those cold mornings in a high seat eh ;)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Ive read theyre akin to wearing a plastic bag as far as breathability goes...

Improved 2014 version breathes ok, though they didn't include the promised pit zips. I wouldn't go for a run in it, but a 4 mile hike in the Peaks didn't make me sweat at all. I went a size over my usual, can always cinch it in. Side zip plus the size above saves showing a fat, hairy belly in the pub after ;)

It's good for cold, wet, windy walking, it will seriously cope with cold and snow, but really it's designed as a stalker smock. The only let down for me is the cinch cord, it's really crappy limp nylon. There's no way to get paracord through the grommets to replace it.

Last edited:

forestwalker

Anyway, I got a bit lucky and splashed out a bit more, and ended up with a swazi tahr. The older one, with one bino pocket, in tussock, perfect for my needs, and to cover my swanni bushshirt.

How noisy are those? I've vaguely considered joining the 21th century rainwear-vise, and the Tahr -- or the Swedteam Titan pro -- looks like fairly good options unless they are so noisy that I would just get annoyed. The alternative is ventile (with double shoulder+hood)...

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I'l let you know when I get mine.
There must a fair few on here with the older Tahr though. I think its 3 layer, aegis fabric on the outside, which is meant to be soft, and quiet, and its goretex. Ive wanted a smock for a while mainly to cover the swannie bushshirt, as its one of the few bits of kit ive kept.

BTW this is what a Tahr looks like if anyones interested, as I was. Some of em appear to be the size of a small horse!

Tahr.jpg

There must be somewhere local to you, where you can try a swedteam on?

Last edited:

forestwalker

Might be a way, but one never knows what will be stockend in a small town like Östersund. My consolations are that the Woolpower outlet is within walking distance and the Lundhags one only 70km away...

I'll check the hunting stores later this fall (Swedteam is seen as hunting kit here).

Skickat från min D5803 via Tapatalk

1 shot willie

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2012
DEVON
Had one of the Ridgeline smocks, what a mistake that was!!
The thing sweated terribly, so, soaked from the inside, waste of £150.00.

By the looks of things they have addressed the sweating problem with the new fabric and design.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I've got a ridgeline; not that bad I found? I get hot if I start doing heavy exercise in it but as a layer for walking in and general camp use it's performed admirably. I think it's of probably more use in winter months or in temperate climates; summer is too much for it!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

LoneWalker

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2014
Devon
I agree with Janso. I've got a Ridgeline Torrent 2 and it's pretty good (full zip not smock type). Real heavy exercise and I do get a bit of a sweat on. I wouldn't recommend it for anything in warmer weather as it is a warm jacket. Good though. I would buy another. The only downside is the pockets are not waterproof.

I used to own a Mountain Equipment Pro She'll jacket and that was not really any better in my opinion. I had water running out the sleeve of that jacket on several occasions.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I've got 2 of the ridgeline monsoon jackets, the smock version & the full zip version. The smock gets a huge amount of use being my go to coat if its raining, you do get warm, but its never caused me any real issues, but as a storm coat they are superb.
I recall walking the dogs at 0430 one morning in the driving snow & smiling to myself as I was walking, as the smock gave me so much protection from the elements, the dogs on the other hand weren't so impressed.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE