Cheapest 4x4 on a budget?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hotchy

Jul 26, 2012
Aldeston in Mora
Ended up with a 5Dr Freelander for £1200.

All this advice. And you bought a twelve hundred quid freelander.

Wow. Just wow.

Good buy as long as its not a petrol( head gasket goes every 30,000 miles ish), and that its still a 4x4 as the IRD goes, and some just disconect the prop and use front wheel drive...

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
All this advice. And you bought a twelve hundred quid freelander.

Wow. Just wow.

Only got one since had given up on finding a good 4x4 and went to local mechanic looking for cheap run about hatchback to ask what he had going cheap and he only had the freelander with a new engine new diff and shafts and 12mth MOT or a 4.2 V8 range rover which would of cost more to run than the Impreza I sold.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Well after a year or so with the Freelander it's Ok but fed up with the constant run of problem which now seem sorted but looking to move onto somthing a bit more bomb proof. Problem now is my budhget for the next 4x4 is only £1000. I guess that only leaves:

Discovery 300tdi (easy to fix for home mechanic so saves on garage bills but rust is its killer)

Pajero 2.5 (more reliable but more expensive in MPG and garage bills especially if the head pops)

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I love my old Suzuki Grand Vitara 1600SE. Selectable 4WD with low or high ratio. Not fast or flash, but cheap, tough and reliable. Not brilliant on petrol or motorways but that isnt what i bought it for.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
Had a Nissan Terrano - 60mpg on a 1/3 vegoil added to the diesel - also I have a light right foot... VERY reliable and went ANYWHERE. lost it when a farm fell on it. Now got a Honda HRV petrol - 40+ mpg petrol, drives well, auto 4x4 fine for roads, haven't tried it off road much other than tracks - VERY reliable, cost £850 with a full year's MOT.
Some of the wee Fiat 4x4s look great and allegedly perform very well - if you can live with a tiny.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Currently I've got a Jeep Cherokee 1998 2.5td, it's been very reliable. You can get them for not a lot of money, the 4.0 petrols are good too, bit juicy but they put a smile on your face!
Mine might be available soon as I may need to get something else for work.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
The problem I have is only got £1000 to spend. Also it will spend most of its life on the road/motorway and occasional green lanes and farm tracks for shooting so needs good road manners

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
...And there is your conundrum. Your budget and your requirements do not intersect. You will have to compromise on one or the other. Do you really need a 4x4? For me the primary requirements were 4WD with excellent reliability, and at as reasonable a price to buy AND operate as possible. All other considerations were secondary to those, and so I chose the Vitara.

Pterodaktyl

Jun 17, 2013
Devon
If you are only planning to drive it occasionally on off-road on tracks which are maintained for vehicle use then don't discount the RAV4 Mk1 (1996 - 2000 vintage). We picked one up last autumn and although I wouldn't classify it as a "proper" 4WD (no low-range, limited ground clearance, minimal underbody protection) it's in your price range and will get you a reasonable amount of on-road comfort. The gearing in 1st is low enough to give you plenty of control when negotiating rough terrain - the other day I got stuck behind a tractor and logging trailer crawling up a steep hill at well under a walking pace, and was able to keep behind it without touching the clutch and only minimal pressure on the throttle. The manual versions have a locking centre diff if you need more traction.

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
...And there is your conundrum. Your budget and your requirements do not intersect. You will have to compromise on one or the other. Do you really need a 4x4? For me the primary requirements were 4WD with excellent reliability, and at as reasonable a price to buy AND operate as possible. All other considerations were secondary to those, and so I chose the Vitara.

Exactly. If it's only light green laning, how about a Subaru Forrester or Outback? Failing that, buy shares in Davids/Isopon and go with the Disco

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
On of the most overlooked problems with driving a good 4WD on-road is the noise. Many good 4WDs have more than adequate road performance as such; at least on rural roads for shorter everyday driving. However they subject the driver and passengers to a mind numbing amount of road noise on long road trips, especially on the motorway.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
I got a LWB Shogun for £400, owner needed rid as hubby bought her a new car for birthday,
Changed the battery and fuel pump seal, get around 26mpg on a 2.8 tdi auto, fantastic on and off road, pajeros have more toys but the shogun has the rear locking diff, not that ive had to use it yet, 9xout of 10 it doesnt need it.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
After having a Freelancer for six months and it being the most unreliable and worst car I have ever owned I bought a £1000 '51 plate Honda CRV....what a fantastic vehicle good on and off road, everything works and everything the Freelancer should be!!
Dull but well recommended!

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I've had a 1.8 Freelander for the last couple of years but getting fed up with the constant repairs only to be told each time. "That's normal for a Landrover" Seriously considering a SWB Pajer/Shogun it just depends which is in better condition for £1500 between the 2.5 or 2.8 Manual.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I considered both but having owned a Delica (which I loved) i decided I wanted something a bit more comfortable for motorways etc. My research led me to believe that the 2.5 engine is the better and more reliable. However if you were happy with the size etc of the Freelander take a look at the CRV its dull I know but I'm really impresssed with it :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE