Exploding Bushlite Lantern

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
:eek: My Bushlite lantern exploded, I had it lit on my bed stand, and after about an hour it shot hot wax all over the wall and me.

Anyone else had this happen, and know why it happened?

Thanks.

This is what it looked like, when i took the glass off.

IMG_0107.jpg

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thats good to know. Thanks for the link Kard. Cliff must have booby trapped it with an ikea candle. :D he was probably in explosives ordnance. :lmao:

I shall now buy the price household ones. Thanks Kard.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There are so many jokes here about the splatters, Daves bed and other things.

I will however remember this is a family forum and just chuckle to myself :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
It looks like it was a poor quality candle, dont think the build quality of the lamps helped much either

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Used a 12cm candle which wasnt as 'fat' as the ikea ones, and it worked great. 5 hour burn time, no problems.
im not familiar with the other brands, but these seem to be made from brass steel and glass, and seem like a quality product.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
im not familiar with the other brands, but these seem to be made from brass steel and glass, and seem like a quality product.

I wondered about ozzy's comment too. I'v had a UCO for donkeys years and looked at the bushlights when there was a group buy on here....going off the pics i could find i couldn't see any meaningful difference between the two quality wise, if anything there seemed to be more fans of the bushlight than UCO

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Years ago I had a bushlight and it was a very well made bit of kit but after seeing the ones sold now I am glad I didn't get one as the build quality is very poor in comparison, unless the one I saw was a Friday afternoon special.

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire
Years ago I had a bushlight and it was a very well made bit of kit but after seeing the ones sold now I am glad I didn't get one as the build quality is very poor in comparison, unless the one I saw was a Friday afternoon special.

Yep, the build quality isn't amazing. I was told that a couple of years ago the suppliers switched production from a factory in Zimbabwe to one in South Africa as a result of the financial situation. I suspect that quality may have dipped as a result.

The main issue seems to be the metal struts which connect the top of the lamp to the bottom section and the way they 'clip' into the bottom to secure the lamp in the open position. Whilst they aren't flimsy as such, they don't clip in particularly well meaning that you have to double check that they are secured otherwise the bottom of the lantern can drop off. On my brass version, one of the struts is cut shorter than the others meaning that the lamp has a slight wonky look as well. Perhaps surprisingly, I found that the coloured varieties are more sturdy than the brass ones.

That said, I do really like my Bushies and they are my primary source of camp lighting. They are quite robust when closed (I've knocked mine about a bit without breaking them), they look good, and I think if you can get them at a decent price then they do offer some benefits over other designs particularly because the candles are more readily available and cheaper.

I'd quite like to get hold of one of the Uco tealight lanterns and try that out.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ive been trying to get a hold of topknot to get him to commission a leather case for the bushlite.

I remember he used to make some beauties, but he's been impossible to get a hold of! :aargh4:

Stingray

Feb 25, 2009
Kent
I have the same problem with my brass one.The slide out clips are not even so it leans over to one side.Not OCD but I do like to see things correctly made.Pick it up by it's hanging hoop and you find that the rest of the lantern is on the floor.I still use it as a static light ,carefully,when camping but I find the Uco far superior for moving a candle.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You know that thing where you can read a sentence if all the words in it have the letters out of order?
Perhaps that is why I always read "Bushlite" wrong... or is it their construction?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Hhmm, and here I was thinking my uco was old hat compared to a bushlight.....sorry dave, don't mean to put a downer on your new toy

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I have both the UCO and a Bushlite... I ve also had problems with candles in the Bushlite, now it sit in a draw.....

And the UCO is always used... far better quaility, in my Opinon

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Im very happy with my bushlite. Its robust, the arms might need a bit of bending to fit smoothly into the sockets,as has been said, but they're pliable, copper or brass, and its not gonna do any long term damage. In fact about 20 seconds work with a pair of needle nose pliers and they now fit perfectly. Quality materials. The german glass gives 4x magnification, Ive got a spare glass and a table stand, plus, I just ordered the bushlite accessory bag for £4, which includes;

1 x Carry Case
3 x Candles
1 x Candle Box that can hold up to 3 candles
1 x Mosquito Clip
1 x Mosquito Tablet

Good lantern in my opinion.

Last edited:

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Im very happy with my bushlite. Its robust, the arms might need a bit of bending to fit smoothly into the sockets,as has been said, but they're pliable, copper or brass, and its not gonna do any long term damage. In fact about 20 seconds work with a pair of needle nose pliers and they now fit perfectly. Quality materials. The german glass gives 4x magnification, Ive got a spare glass and a table stand, plus, I just ordered the bushlite accessory bag for £4, which includes;

1 x Carry Case
3 x Candles
1 x Candle Box that can hold up to 3 candles
1 x Mosquito Clip
1 x Mosquito Tablet

Good lantern in my opinion.

I think you got lucky with that purchase. I tried to buy one earlier today and had it canceled. The guy is now saying they should be £15.00 and he made a pricing error.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE