Hunter Gatherer Challenge 2014

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Ive recently returned from a very rewarding trip to the woods, living off the land for several days. There were low lows and very high highs. I love these sort of trips and this one was quite a tough one.

There was so many photos and things I wanted to say Ive banged it all into three blog entries. I hope the powers that be dont mind me putting them in here. I'll add a few pics as a teaser. :) Let me know what you think and ask away with questions. I best go and read Sams write up now Ive finished this one. Cheers all.

Part 1 - http://woodsmancrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/hunter-gatherer-challenge-2014-part-one.html
Part 2 - http://woodsmancrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/hunter-gatherer-challenge-part-two.html
Part 3 - http://woodsmancrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/hunter-gatherer-challenge-part-three.html

Enjoy

Addo :)

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Good stuff mate.

But to be honest we'd like to have your write up here as well. As everybody just dumps their links to blogs on here, BCUK would become a simple linkportal. Not something we would like it to turn into.

If you put it in here, we can always make it an article.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I'll be doing my write up too - just as soon as I have time. It was a brilliant time. I am so torn about if I do it next year. There is so much other stuff I want to do.... Sam, Paul - make it easy on me - convince me!

Thanks guys.
Sam, I would If I can get a pass out.

I'll be doing my write up too - just as soon as I have time. It was a brilliant time. I am so torn about if I do it next year. There is so much other stuff I want to do.... Sam, Paul - make it easy on me - convince me!

Im working on a pass........
addo you know you want to.
Tim you can do it again next yr with less kit mate thus a valid reason t do it again ;)

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Amazing report - thanks for sharing it. Like so many posts on BCUK, this has inspired me to get out and do more.

All the best.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That was a really good read Paul :D Loads to do, loads got made, and still time and inclination to enjoy being out :cool:

Thank you for the write up; it was good to see the things you made, and to hear about your successes with the foraging.

I don't have a google account so couldn't comment on your blog; I suspect I'm not the only one.

cheers,
M

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks for the comments folks. Glad you are getting something out of it. Just been eyeing up my tarp tent and blanket for another fireside kip trip.
I often wonder if I should sit down for hours and write about the things I get up to, but when folks get inspired or have a chuckle then its worth it.

I never have time to do all the things I want hence the links for quickness. Sorry about that. Now the nights are drawing in, I should be able to spend the extra time sorting posts out on here as I do like to still visit in-between jobs, family, more jobs, chores, making stuff and camping trips.

Cheers

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Really enjoyed reading that, fabulous inspiration. Really made me want to get on a course and learn more. Before attempting something like that. Thank you

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks for the comments.

I'm intrigued by the design of bow you made. Do you have any more info on the design ?

Julia

Hi, Its a Bundle Bow.
Lash a series of sticks together with natural plant cordage, rawhide or of course paracord. (the outer sleeve on its own is best and more than strong enough)
I'd post a link to a tutorial, but I dont want to be cheeky. To be honest I'm going to redesign a standardish method of making one anyway and when I do I'll post it up, because if you use green hazel and force dry it overnight, its not as strong as year old seasoned. I found this out after using it for a dozen shots or so, and had to replace/reenforce both ends. You can do it with the forced stuff, but the design needs beefing up at the ends, and then its a bit too strong for normal use, unless your built like pop-eye. :)

Still, a lot easier than carving one if in a rush and low on energy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE