knife project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
I'm working on a project. Might seem a dumb question those pins u use to fix the grip to the blade
What are they called AMD where would I get some

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
the pins that hold a handle together are called, um, pins ;) They are just lengths of metal rod cut off and glued in place (sometimes peened over too, but that's more when good glue is not available). Nails, welding rods, model making shops, etc all have useful wire

Or you could go bolts, such as Loveless or Corby bolts. Not sure where to buy them in the UK since I don't use them my self. Maybe 'English Handmade Knives' or Mick Wardell might sell them?

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
Cheers Dave
Now I do feel dumb
The one I've been workin on is full tang 3 inch grip 5inch blade (stainless) beech grip (i used 3 bolts) countersunk filled the holes with wood filler. ( bit of a cheat ) hadn't got enuf sawdust already sanded it looking good so far (my op ) still need to smooth off the blade make and fit the finger guard and a brass clamp

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Dave's right, English handmade knives on the web and Mick Wardell on ebay also try the Bushcraft store.
Mick has the best prices and combines postage, he's my first choice.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Yer can buy 1m lengths of 3 and 4 mm brass rod at bandq n just cut it with a hacksaw too the length yer need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
erhYeh I already know English handmade saw them at the wilderness gathering I do like their kit but I ain't got 150 quid plus to spend and I've actually enjoyed making it
No offence to the professionals I always thought they were a tad pricey BUT considering how much work goes into shaping the blade grip etc etc etc I understand why I've already spent every afternoon this week working on it and its nowhere near finished
Last thing to do will be the scroll work on the grip

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
So what have you used for steel? You say stainless which can be very tricky to heat treat, especially withought a heat treat oven. Im guessing your using a stainless steel that is hardenable?

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
I don't need a private oven I have 5 furnaces at my disposal ( I used to work in engineering) so just take my stuff and bung it in their furnace

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
erhYeh I already know English handmade saw them at the wilderness gathering I do like their kit but I ain't got 150 quid plus to spend and I've actually enjoyed making it
No offence to the professionals I always thought they were a tad pricey BUT considering how much work goes into shaping the blade grip etc etc etc I understand why I've already spent every afternoon this week working on it and its nowhere near finished
Last thing to do will be the scroll work on the grip

Mick sells supplies so you can buy rod for pins or loveless etc. He's my go to guy as well, pleasure to deal with...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE