Hair cleaning on the trail.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
The lush stuff is talc and climbing chalk.
The Lush solid shampoo that I use occasionally is solid sodium laurel sulphate compressed into a cake like soap. It works pretty well as a shampoo, better than soap on long hair because soap can leave scum and also the alkalinity damages hair.

On a trip though I really don't bother with hair washing other than in plain water. A bit of grease makes it less prone to tangle and easier to comb!

Jul 14, 2014
Leeds
I use waterless shampoo (nilaqua, if you want to google it) which actually cleans your hair and doesn't leave that horrible residue behind that dry shampoos do! The company even do pet shampoo, which is great for the pooch when he refuses to have a bath! :)

Apr 8, 2014
Skipton
I've got long, very curly hair. It sits just below my shoulders when dry and down to about mid back when it's wet. I tend to just stick my head in running water and give it comb through. I tend to use organic, leave in conditioner (stop sniggering!) when I'm at home, so sometimes take that out with me too. Either that or just accept it'll need a good wash when I get home. I've also heard beer is good for you hair.... but I ain't giving up a beer...
I can't find the reference now, but I've read about using certain plants that make a type of shampoo. Has anybody tried them and with what sort of results?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A hat full of water usually does the trick for me

1004093_10201781627849130_958786421_n.jpg

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I'm not usually on the trail long enough to worry about it, but I find putting it in a braid is good to stop it getting tangled.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Birch leaves work well in early spring. Nettles work most of the time; soapwort is truly lovely to use.
Chestnut leaves work but the run off water really is bad news for watercourses. Floral waters, like rose, jasmine, honeysuckle, etc., are very nice, but not really cleansing, iimmc., better as a final rinse.
Of all of those I rate the soapwort :D

cheers,
Toddy

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
If you only wash your hair in water after about 4 to 6 weeks your hair settles down and isn't greasy. That's what I read, it worked when I trued it. But I have short hair and other people's hair might be different. YMMV. :)
Edit. Just reread thread and found that other people said the same thing AND I'd posted before. (Thankfully not the same info). Time for my lie down.

Last edited:
J

janeleonard

Hair washes should be made twice a week or probably one day after the other. Natural products are good to keep the hair healthy and safe.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Hair washes should be made twice a week or probably one day after the other. Natural products are good to keep the hair healthy and safe.
Nope. That's just convention. As for natural products, arsenic and caustic soda are both natural. Soap is actually not good for hair because the alkalinity opens up the scales on the surface and lets the soap scum deposit underneath which makes it rough and vulnerable to damage.

I haven't read the entire thread don't have the time so don't know if this has been mentioned.
But when in out on the trail I use the lifeventure shampoo leaves and whatever clean water I have on hand. Nice and small and works for what I need.

Sent using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE