Budget Bushcraft Knife and Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 1, 2014
Lincolnshire
Hey there, I'm fairly new to bushcraft and I've been meaning to make this post for a while. I've realised for a long while that just having my Mora won't always cut it (pun intended) so I've been wondering if you guys could help me find a good all-round knife for bushcraft at under £40. I'd need it to be a nice all-round knife so it's not specifically focused on a single task. As I'm a full-time student, I don't really have much money at all to spend on knives and axes, I'm afraid. I'll have to save for quite a long time to even get these, I imagine.
Also, I've been looking for a good axe for under £40 too. I'd prefer medium to long in handle length, but other than that I'm up for suggestions. I've been looking around for good deals, but I figured I should consult some experienced people on forums beforehand.
So, please give me knife and axe suggestions, and if you can find a good deal online, that information would also be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Pete K

Forager
Nov 13, 2012
Derbyshire
www.facebook.com
Can't really help you on the knife, I think the Mora is a bomber bit of kit for the price and would say buy one if you didn't have one.
Have a look at the Hultafors Agdor 17.5" or 20" trekking axe. Good for the money and can take a great edge.
I would perhaps consider a Bahco Laplander folding saw as one of my initial purchases if starting again, it gets way more use than any of my axes do and only about £17.

Try the Bushcraft Store and Heinnie Haynes stores online.

Mandos

Nomad
Jan 23, 2013
Downham market
you could go for a cold steel hawk and just modify it abit make it look better re tarnish the head or blue dip it as for the knife the mora will handle the most demanding jobs you can throw at it you could try a jaguar they are cheap about 30£ and are fairly decent and robust or you could go for the condor bushlore clone at 40£ ish these are both good knives IMO

Mandos

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Another hear, keep the knife it will do the job. As said earlier buy a saw this way you don't have to take the axe if your not going to need it. The Hultafors axes are well worth the money and getting a good name for themselves.
If you really want to buy another knife look at the Mora Bushcraft or one of the longer tang models.

Jul 1, 2014
Lincolnshire
I've been considering a bigger version of the Hultafors Trekking Axe, but what do you guys think about the Fiskars X7, X10? I found a X10 for sale for £22.

Last edited:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Eating not reading is not good

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I've been considering a bigger version of the Hultafors Trekking Axe, but what do you guys think about the Fiskars X7, X10? I found a X10 for sale for £22.

i'v just been recomending the x7 to pete k below on another thread. they are great axes, and not just "for the money" either belting little axe if you don't mind missing the wood haft

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
My friend J. bought a Hultafors hatchet, nice price, I was really really impressed by its power. Too bad it was the last one for sale, otherwise I might have bought 3 :D
It provided us split wood with ease, and it copes very good in wintery conditions which I find important.

dsc_0546.jpg

In our region you'll get a very long way with a Bahco Laplander as some other people here said, perfect kit for a good price.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I too recommend the hultafors axes. - I bought one a few years ago and it has yet to let me down. The fit and finish are perfectly good. In fact the handle is a little fatter than my Gransfors Scandi axe which I prefer. The head on them though leaves a little to be desired with the heavily sand blasted appearance. I actually wonder if they are cast, I don't know I'm just speculating. It matters not, the edge on mine came wicked sharp and with a little work it is a fine working tool.

http://www.tradetoolshop.com/garden-tools/axes-splitting-wedges/hand-axes.html

I see the 850g chopping axe (the one I have) is £25 - a bargain if you ask me.

Is this your first axe? If so you might be better getting a hatchet - the regular trekking axe is just over £20!! Bargain! - check out the Husqvarna hatchet too - very good axes.

As for knives - sticking with the mora is good advice. They are excellent blades. - where do you find it lacking? I found mine to be a bit too narrow and a bit too pointy for my liking. Have a look at the hultafors knives too. I have a couple of the green handled "tough" model and I really can't fault it for the price.

You might also want to check out the Condor knives on Heinnie.com - they really are doing very well.

All the best
Andy

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Mora Bushcraft Black should be about £30. Excellent strong do anything Scandi grind in carbon steel.

Hultafors trekking axe or Hatchet or similar. About £30 too.

Check out www.Heinnie.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 1, 2014
Lincolnshire
I see the 850g chopping axe (the one I have) is £25 - a bargain if you ask me.
I'd get it, but it's £7 for shipping. I could get one on amazon for £32, but I found a hultafors 1750g chopping axe for just a few £ more. Does anyone know which is better?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hultafors-HY10175SV-1750g-Chopping-Axe/dp/B004ZFEY30/
Also, I'm considering saving up a bit and getting the Silky Bigboy 2000 for £30. There's the Silky Pocket Boy for £20, which I'll get if I don't get the Bigboy. I've seen comparisons to the Laplander, and although the Laplander is amazing, the Pockerboy and Bigboy seem to be better (quicker and have cleaner cuts).
I'm probably going to get the Hultafors, but the Fiskars X10 for £22 (inc vat and delivery) seems like a REALLY good deal. Is the difference worth the price?

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
As others said.. Mora great knives, where do you find it wanting???... you want an axe so no need to use it to batton.. so no real need to have a thicker blade,

Hultafors Axes are good as are

Dont get draged in to the look what I can do with my big knife..... it does it all... yeah...!!!!!!!

Tagaeri

Jan 20, 2014
West Cornwall
I recently did quite a bit of research into this, as I wasn't prepared/able to spend the silly amounts of money that some of the 'bushcraft' knives and axes cost.

I ended up going for the Hultafors Classic Hunting Axe, which is very similar to the ubiquitous Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe but half the price. I got mine from here http://www.safetywearworld.co.uk/hultafors-classic-hunting-axe-850g-1-9-10lb.html for £40. I think it's a fantastic axe, especially for the money. There's a review of it here http://www.gunmart.net/accessories_review/hultafors_classic_forest_hunting_axe.

Although it's outside your budget, the knife I went for is the new version of the Casström No.10 Swedish Forest Knife with a curly birch handle and Scandi grind. It cost £75, but if you shop around I think you can get the oak one for £65 (just make sure it's the new version with three pins instead of two in the handle). It's a lot of knife for the money - a 'proper' bushcraft knife! It also comes with a lovely sheath (and you can purchase a different one with a firesteel loop and a matching firesteel). I think it's a fantastic knife, again, especially for the money.

Alternatively, you could consider just getting a kukri, which would be a jack of all trades. I'm a big fan of kukris, and have used them for years. The one I have at the moment is the Condor 13" kukri. It's the best I could find for under £50 - a great knife and comes with the best sheath in this price range, http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/cutting-tools/condor-kukri-machete.htm. I'd prefer the handle to be shaped a little more, but for the money I think it's the best kukri available at the moment. I honestly think a kukri can replace a knife/axe combo for most bushcraft tasks. It just depends on your preference.

Hope that helps.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I really dont thi k you can beat the mora and if you want a slightly thicker blade go for the robust as its over 3mm thick, as for the axe take a look at the husquvana range.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE