Free "Northern Survival" PDF

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hello

Is anyone interested in a .pdf copy of “Northern Survival”?

It was published in 1968 by the Education Division, Northern Administration Branch, Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development. (A branch of the Canadian government that doesn't even exist anymore)

It features sections on First Aid, Travel in Northern Terrain, Shelter (including a fairly detailed section on building igloos, and life inside one), Navigation, Knots, Water, Food (including identifying edible plants, hunting, fishing, foraging and trapping), Fire, Signalling, Care and Use of Equipment and Clothing, and a few other miscellaneous tips and techniques.

Brutal production value; double spaced, typewritten, single sided pages, illustrations are “okay”.

The Cerlox binding on it was as old as me, and had started to fall apart. I took it in to work, to make a double sided copy and re-bind it. I then had the bright idea to scan it in and turn it into a .pdf file. I figured others might like this, and when a slow afternoon rolled around… There was no copyright on it, so that’s not an issue. I haven't jazzed it up at all. If it was printed crooked on the page, it's crooked in the PDF. If the typewriter filled the counter of a letter with ink schmutz, it appears on the PDF.

It’s by no means the greatest survival manual ever published. Not compared to the .pdf of the Swedish Army Arctic Warfare manual I got a while back. But it’s still got some useful stuff in it, and I guess it could also be viewed as a bit of history too. Plus it’s free. (although if you want to send something groovy back through the ether, that’s always appreciated.)

If anyone wants it, let me know, either via PM or email me at exploriment at gmail dot com and I’ll send it to you. Or alternately, does someone here have the capacity to host it? It’s 17.5MB PDF file. Maybe posting it on the net somewhere, might give more people access to it.

Cheers,

Thomas

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I would love a copy too. where did you get the Swedish one from, I have been looking for it but cant find the .pdf form anywhere

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Problems --Problems--Problems-- Read this please!!!

Hi Guys
We have to do the whole manual sending thing in a different way!
It takes forever for me to send the manuals to a single person, they are together about 11 MB. I have now ca 12 people interested in the books. After sending them to the first of the 3 people I noticed that 2 of them came back to me with a notification that the mail server of the recipent are too small.

Solution:
Can someone host the files so everyone can download them from there?
My webpage is too small too, I tried it but failed.
Please contact me if someone host the files.

cheers
Abbe

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Thanks mate, it will not work so smoothly. As there are only 25 downloads allowed over a period of 7 days and single file. I have two files and more people.
The best would be if someone here had a space on a server where I could put the 11 MB and people could free download from it.

cheers
Abbe

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Abbe Osram said:
Thanks mate, it will not work so smoothly. As there are only 25 downloads allowed over a period of 7 days and single file. I have two files and more people.
The best would be if someone here had a space on a server where I could put the 11 MB and people could free download from it.

cheers
Abbe

I have plenty of webspace - you are most welcome to send it to me and i will host it.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi Guys,
thanks Barter the files are flying right now over to you, they should be there in some minutes.

We got 2 brothers here which are able to host the files for us and we will get the urls where everyone can download the books. Hopefully that gives all of you the possibility to enjoy the books.

When we get the urls from the boys we will publish the link here!

cheers
Abbe

:eek: No matter what I do, my pdf is about 17MB. I've monkeyed about with it for a while now, but I can't get it any smaller. Turning it into a zipped file doesn't do anything.

I've tried to send it to a few of you, but as pointed out earlier, some people's inboxes are too small.

Is there anyone who could host this file for me? I would be immensely grateful. Sharing of knowledge, so on and so forth.

I can probably put it up on an FTP site, in order to transfer it.

I'm going on a snowshoeing/winter camping trip this weekend, so if you don't hear from me for a bit, don't panic. I'll get back to everybody who contacts me.

Again, I would be incredibly grateful if someone can host this for me, or give me some pointers on how to make the pdf smaller. It's 120 8½ x 11 pages, the scans are 300dpi (with the idea that someone may want to print this out for a hardcopy). Not sure what else to do. Not sure if bumping the res down to 200dpi will have much of an effect.

Thomas

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE