Article: Carving an Ash Flat Bow - George Aitchison

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

Bernard55

Could you put some backing , maybe sinew , on that type of bow ? It could help not to break a weak but otherwise good bow !!

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Could you put some backing , maybe sinew , on that type of bow ? It could help not to break a weak but otherwise good bow !!

Backing the bow would help strengthen it if there were weak spots. In particular backing should stop splinters popping out from the back of the bow.

Why do you ask as the bow pulls at 40lbs and has been shooting well for over 4 years?

Cheers

George

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great article that. Good clear instructions including felling and roughing out which a lot seem to miss.
As said above the best backing for a bow is air. The reason we make bows from wood is that it is superior to most materials in compression and tension.
Backings like sinew are only needed when using less than ideal woods and also extreme designs like short highly re-flexed horn sinew composites. These horn sinew bows or high reflex wood sinew bows are only as efficient as a well designed wooden bow with no backing when using the same weight arrows.
Backings like silk are just an insurance policy and should keep the bow together if it blows rather than bits flying everywhere. Also looks nice too :)

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Like the bow but I thought that the principle of the Holmgaard type bow was to have the upper limbs relatively unbending with the bend and power coming from wide flat bow lower limbs in much the same way as the stiff upper limbs, ears, of the horse bow. This is certainly true of mine.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Like the bow but I thought that the principle of the Holmgaard type bow was to have the upper limbs relatively unbending with the bend and power coming from wide flat bow lower limbs in much the same way as the stiff upper limbs, ears, of the horse bow. This is certainly true of mine.

Hi Boatman

You are quite right in what you say.

I say at the beginning of the doc that my Flatbow is 'based' on the holmegaard but it is not a replica.

My Holmgaard step by step is here.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/74263979/Holmegaard Bow Making.pdf

I do like both these bows. The Ash flatbow is very strong but the Holmgaard though lighter is much faster. Must be the D sectioned tips.

Let me know what you think of the Holmgaard doc?

Cheers

George

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
If I remember the Ash flatbow is just over 40lbs and the Holmegaard is about 35lbs.

On a high arc the flatbow has gone 140m and the Holmegaard 120m.

Fairly standard modern man made arrows were used.

Cheers

George

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE