Being homeless - tent, rucksack advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
R

ross2503

Hi I just joined this forum. I'm an unemployed teacher who was made redundant last year and as a result of the benefit cutbacks and landlords not willing to rent a house to someone unemployed, I've ha a pretty tough year. I was homeless for a little while with my dog but managed to find a house to rent but I'm facing the same situation again because Housing Benefit has been reduced and at the same time my landlady is increasing the rent (postponed twice already but she won't do it again) so I can't afford to stay where I am. I can't see any way out of the fact that I am going to be sleeping rough in May with my dog.

I want advice about tents and rucksacks. I don't know if I should post about each on different threads but anyway..

I realise public camping is illegal in England but I don't have much choice. I'll have to find some secluded spot in parks and hope for the best. I am considering Scotland as I can get my JSA transferred to Scotland and I cam wild legally outside of the city centre. I need to decide. Any tips from anyone who has experience sleeping illegally?

I have to start out by saying my budget is absolutely limited. I've more or less decided on the 3 man Vango Bashee 300 which is currently £90 as I've read some good reviews and a few not so good. My main concern is being durable in wind and rain as I'm going to be sleeping in this every night for I don't know how long. This is the limit of by budget for a tent so my question is - is this the best tent for the money that is most likely to suit my needs? The attraction is the 5000 hydrostatic head rating and having slightly more room that a 2 man as I'll have my back pack and dog with me. I refuse to give her up, she's my family,

To carry everything I will need on a daily basis, including my tent and sleeping bag, I will be carrying this around with me all day every day. I will need the best rucksack I can afford. This will be a cheap one for about £50 - 70. I was considering this one for £50:

http://www.leisureshack.co.uk/hercules-85ltr-rucksack-red.aspx

Any comments/suggestions please?

I can buy a Snugpack Bergen 100L for £77 which I was considering but I then read than it isn't comfortable because it's very short and therefore most of the weight is on the shoulders, not on the hips. Anyone got experience with these?

Things are bleak and I can only hope I can find any job before May to avoid this but it's not looking good.

Any advice most welcome.

Many thanks
Ross

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
Hi I recommend you read http://freesleeping.blogspot.com/ there is a lot of good tips there. I'd also recommend that you sign up with as many teaching agencies as possible, there is the most amount of work in London I reckon. There are always agencies advertising in a free magazine called TNT.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
I suggest you look into more second hand gear, iv got an 85lt carabee rucksack im selling for £20, its
in mint perfect nick, that would save you money on things like food, as goes for tents, just get something that will keep you dry and safe, thoughs argos dome tent are ok, as long as you have a warm sleeping bag and mat you will be fine.

but to honest with you mate there are shelters availible everywhere and they are there for a reason, also get yourself intouch with the salvation army its ok the seek help if you need it.
mb

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I presume you at risk of homelessness because LHA wont cover your rent. There are landlords that take DHS there is even landlords that take clients without deposits, but they aren't main players like yourmove though. I got a house from this lot in stoke on trent http://www.alderleyproperty.co.uk/index.html , they are acctually really good landlords. They didnt need a deposit either. It is imperative that you keep some sort of roof over your head, lack of address means you fall through the net very easyly.

You sound like life is been very stressful. Some areas are worse to claimants than others, generally they are getting worst at stopping cheques for genuine claimants as the government is going bust. It is good for you look at a plan B as becoming homeless is possible, but try to stay focused on Plan A on keeping a roof and getting a job, any job. Really consider moving somewhere that is as cheap as possible.

Another option is co-operative squats or eco-communties. Teachers are pretty useful to those sort of communties look on diggers and dreamers.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
What a horrible position to be in - I love camping but getting home & having a hot shower is what makes it fun - being forced to rough it is a different matter. I hope you get something sorted

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
i sympathise as ive been in this situation for a short time, i think alot of people are missing the point that its due to your dog too. i was in a tent as i wouldnt give up charlie. like some people have said you need to look for employment agencies for teachers. theres loads of sub work about. there is also alot of housing agancies etc and private landlords will often have a dog. like stated theres shed loads round stoke. might not be the best properties, but its a roof and an address. you will find it alot harder to get a job with a field or wood as your address. private landlord is moe probable than a housing agency to have a dog.look on gumtree. there is a load up and down not fter a deposit for terrace type property etc.dont be defeatest mate. dont let the b*****ds get you down.

with regard to living in your tent. i cant offer much advice about kit as i think it might be out of your hands. it will be a case of working with what youve got. but you dotn want to be the man about town living in a tent, and coming back to your belonging burnt, stolen or sifted through by local chavs!

remember you never now what is around the corner!

Last edited:

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
I started out renting a property on a mixture of JSA, LHA and savings for 3 months. There are landlords that will let you rent on benefits. Got myself a cruddy job within that time. Anything will do. The council won't help unless you're in priority need - i.e. disabled, pregnant, etc and if you've got pets it's x10 harder. If you're young, single and male like I was, you're pretty much screwed...personal experience.

If you want to keep off the streets, Care work used to be one of the easiest jobs to get and they're desperate for people so it materializes fast. Look for bank work in hospitals too because they're always looking for people.

You can kip in big hospital waiting areas too.

Not sure about you, but Scotland would be the last place I'd want to be camping for any long period of time. Grim.

Most importantly, have you gone to the council, citizen's advice, etc? They can give you some limited advice on last resorts - i.e. homeless shelters, food stamps, etc etc.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
If you're thinking of heading to Scotland check about getting recognised as a teacher up here (not sure what the rules are but I know a friend told me she had to ask to get her qualifications from England recognised up here). There's been a cut to the pay of supply teachers & as such schools are struggling to get cover. Might be a chance to get some cash coming in.

Good Luck & I totally understand/support not wanting parted from your dog, like you say they're family.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If you're thinking of heading to Scotland check about getting recognised as a teacher up here (not sure what the rules are but I know a friend told me she had to ask to get her qualifications from England recognised up here). There's been a cut to the pay of supply teachers & as such schools are struggling to get cover. Might be a chance to get some cash coming in.

Good Luck & I totally understand/support not wanting parted from your dog, like you say they're family.

I think they use a different board of control and the teaching quals are through different channels to the English ones, the wife has looked at doing it a few times so I can get more details if you need them Ross.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
The Forum Rules are intolerant of anything which promotes illegality, so we're limited in what advice we can offer about 'wild camping'.

I'd agree with others that keeping a roof over your head, whatever it is and however you do it, should be your main objective. Sleeping out should be a last resort, or at least just occasional nights if for example the roof that you find yourself under has undesirable characteristics and you feel the need to get away now and then. I've been under that kind of roof many times.

You don't need to spend a lot of money on a tent and a rucksack. Even though I could easily afford it I still think a hundred and forty quid is a lot of money for a tent and a rucksack. I've bought very decent rucksacks in charity shops for ten or fifteen quid, and a perfectly serviceable tent for a fiver from a tent show that was packing up that day. I've used it for years.

Consider a hammock and tarp rather than a tent. Not my cup of tea, but if you can get on with it then with experience you'll sometimes find yourself drier and it could be quicker to set up and take down when you get the, er, hang of it. The dog will be fine just under the tarp, no need for her to get in the hammock with you. :)

R

ross2503

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. Being homeless is of course a last resort and I'm just planning ahead as it's a relatively short time away. Here are the problems with what is suggested here:

I'm registered with about 15 teaching agencies and I'm in regular contact but they all tell me the same thing - it's just very quiet! Schools and colleges are using existing staff to cover other subjects and therefore aren't paying for temp staff. Another issue is that the odd day here and there doesn't cover the minimum I need to survive.

Most landlords and nearly all property agents want a guarantor if you are on benefits. I don't have anyone in a position to be. There may be landlords that are OK without a guarantor but finding them is a problem. Last year when I was in a similar situation, I contacted over 300 property agents in about 40 towns and cities and it was the same story "you'll need a guarantor". The fact that I'm a teacher, have excellent references from nearly everywhere I've ever lived, a current enhanced CRB, the bond and first months rent.. they don't want to know. Few private landlords advertise in local newspapers any more, most put their properties in the hands of agents - who them rip you off with ridiculous admin fees of £80 - 150 or more and then another £50 or more for renewing the lease every 6 months. The there is my dog so it's finding a landlord that is fine with DSS and a large dog (she's a Rottweiler) is hard going. I have the option to put my dog into a dog rescue and rent a room in a shared house (thousands of them! DSS welcome) but giving my dog up is not an option as long as I am breathing.

I'm familiar with Dogs trust, I have the leaflet about being homeless with a dog, it lists the homeless shelters that take dogs too (as many won't), useful but not a solution. Thanks for the other links, I've book marked them and I will look later on.

The housing organisations tell me the same thing - they might be able to find me accommodation if I was homeless, though the waiting list is usually a 2-3 months if you are priority but I can't take a dog. The council tell me to come back when I am homeless and they will try and get me into a shelter for the night. Much of the help that's available to the homeless (which is very little now under this government) won't be available to me I've been told. You have to show that you are homeless through no fault of your own before any help can be given. The fact that I won't give up my dog means I'm classed as intentionally homeless and therefore no help is available. The homeless charity "Shelter" have been inundated with requests for help as people face being homeless that they have been turning people away as they can't cope with the increase.

I'm currently spending 5 hours a day searching for work, applying for jobs etc. The local Tesco advertised jobs in their store and in the same day they closed applications as they'd received 450 applications! The past 2 teaching jobs I had interviews for there were 130 applications in one job (I got to the last 5) and 105 applications on the second (I got to the last 2). This is how it is in reality but unless you're unemployed you won't know that.

Anyway, being homeless is a last resort and I'm trying to stay optimistic but I need to plan for the eventuality. It happened for a short time last year and it could easily happen again now I have to leave this house. Second hand stuff would be a better option (financially) so I'm keeping my eye on ebay. It's important that I stay dry in heavy rain and I've had cheap tents from Argos and Millets once, the rain just poured in. I'm really into camping anyway so I'll be sticking around the forum anyway (for as long as I'm able) so it won't be wasted, homeless or not. I agree, the army Burgens look hard-wearing but it brings me back to my question - has anyone had problems with comfort on them? I've read from some people that they are too short and the waist belts doesn't sit on the hips so the shoulders take the weight?

Thanks again to you all
Ross

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Can I suggest a slightly different route.........find yourself the network of communes, charitable educational sites, and places that offer accomodation as part of the employment.
Seriously, there are still many around. If you are prepared to contribute work and share resources, they can be very welcoming.
This would give you a room (at least, some it's a small flat), with an address, with people on site to look after your dog when you are working since they usually have dogs of their own too; work when supply teaching is not forthcoming, and another strand to your cv.

Up here I was thinking of places such as the Cyrenians farm site, Talamh and so on. There must be similar places down south.

The very best of luck with your endeavours one way or the other.

Just had a wee thought.......you could ask if anyone near where you stay would be happy to have a lodger ?
It's an old fashioned concept but it worked very well in the past.

atb,
Toddy

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Unless you are able to take care of your dog(including any kind of vet bills) then I feel it would be unfair to the dog to bring it into YOUR life style decision, I say decision as this is what it would be IF you do not re-home it, I have two pups, I love them dearly and can understand what a wrench it would be to give it up, BUT your pups welfare MUST be your first concern.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I can't add to anything that has been suggested here but my heart goes out to you mate.

I truly hope you get a break.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE