Which Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
themac said:
Jason - the finish on the axe head looks almost brushed? What did you use to finish it off?

Cheers

Themac,

Its just hand rubbed working through the abrasive grades and finished in one direction with a fairly coarse abrasive, 180 grit emery cloth at the moment, the photo is quite flattering though and if I was going for a perfect finish I should really spend some more time at 120, there are a few marks still just visible underneath from the coarser grits but, and this is an awful thing to say :rolleyes: I think its good enough for me for now ;)

Its exactly the same principle as finishing a knife blade, start with a coarse grit, get an even finish, move to the next grit working at 90 degrees to the previous and rub until all the marks from the previous grade are gone and so on as far as you want to go until eventually you would have a mirror finish :D Its also important to use a block with a flat surface under the abrasive, dont be tempted to use your fingers or the paper will just follow any surface uneveness and/or you'll rub a valleys into it.

Wet and dry would be just as good and is what I normally use, the main thing is to make sure you have a nice even surface to start with, if you use an angle grinder for example its easy to create dips and ramps on the surface which will stand out at the end, trick is to keep the grinder light and moving.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
jason01 said:
Themac,

Its just hand rubbed working through the abrasive grades and finished in one direction with a fairly coarse abrasive, 180 grit emery cloth at the moment, the photo is quite flattering though and if I was going for a perfect finish I should really spend some more time at 120, there are a few marks still just visible underneath from the coarser grits but, and this is an awful thing to say :rolleyes: I think its good enough for me for now ;)

Its exactly the same principle as finishing a knife blade, start with a coarse grit, get an even finish, move to the next grit working at 90 degrees to the previous and rub until all the marks from the previous grade are gone and so on as far as you want to go until eventually you would have a mirror finish :D Its also important to use a block with a flat surface under the abrasive, dont be tempted to use your fingers or the paper will just follow any surface uneveness and/or you'll rub a valleys into it.

Wet and dry would be just as good and is what I normally use, the main thing is to make sure you have a nice even surface to start with, if you use an angle grinder for example its easy to create dips and ramps on the surface which will stand out at the end, trick is to keep the grinder light and moving.
Hey Jason,

Are you getting a cover or making one? I wimped out and went to the professionals (RB is doing me one - looks lurvley). If you want to compare finished articles, swing past the Daves place over March 30th - April 1st weekend - I'll be handing Tims over to him there - we could compare finished products!

Red

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
British Red said:
Hey Jason,

Are you getting a cover or making one? I wimped out and went to the professionals (RB is doing me one - looks lurvley). If you want to compare finished articles, swing past the Daves place over March 30th - April 1st weekend - I'll be handing Tims over to him there - we could compare finished products!

Red

If we're going to compare up close I'll definately have to go back to the 120 grit ;)

I've got no excuse not to make my own sheath, just need to get round to it :rolleyes: I might just hang on to see a photo of what RB comes up with first though, not that I'd steal his design or anything ;) if I can make one that looks half as good as RB's usual leatherwork I'll be happy.

A meetup at Daves sounds good, count me in, all being well! I'll drop you a PM and we'll sort something out :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, RBs sheath turned up today....and I'm delighted with it - cheers mate!. I opted for the plain strap as I see this as a "functional" piece of kit for my friend rather than "pretty"

So, here it is

finishedarticle5lz.jpg

Not as neatly finished as Jason's and, I'm sure, not as well done as other peoples will be either. But, I venture to suggest, a modest improvement over the blue paint and varnished version with the red plastic blade cover

Look forward to seeing other peoples

Red

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
British Red said:
Well, RBs sheath turned up today....and I'm delighted with it - cheers mate!. I opted for the plain strap as I see this as a "functional" piece of kit for my friend rather than "pretty"

So, here it is

finishedarticle5lz.jpg

Not as neatly finished as Jason's and, I'm sure, not as well done as other peoples will be either. But, I venture to suggest, a modest improvement over the blue paint and varnished version with the red plastic blade cover

Look forward to seeing other peoples

Red

Looks great to me, Tim should be delighted with that!

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Nice work Red.

I really must get round to finishing mine off this weekend. So many jobs keep popping up!

Saya repair this week.

soup_monger

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 30, 2005
EDINBURGH AND PERTH
That looks great BR, well done! :)
And to think thats a £10 axe and a lot of elbow grease.
It's new owner is a lucky man.
Cheers

P.S I'm still working on mine,but,I'll post pics when I'm happy with it. ;)

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Finally got round to making a sheath, Ive been limited to gentle jobs for the past couple of weeks due to a cracked rib :rolleyes: so it seemed like a good opportunity to do some leatherwork.

The sheath went horribly wrong, originaly had a closed back end but it was a bit too tight, Ive managed to salvage it and it works ok but Im not really all that happy with it for a varity of reasons, might have to make another.

sheath.jpg

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
pierre girard said:
Looks like a perfectly good job, and I wouldn't be the least bit displeased with it.

Where did you get the stud for closure?

PG

Hi Pierre

Funnily enough I only just tracked them down myself, I much prefer them to press studs. Got them from here:

http://www.abbeysaddlery.co.uk/

Half the battle was finding out what theyre called, screw backed I think theyre Chicago studs and rivet backed theyre sam brown studs, you can also get them with solid backs to peen over a rivet.

Also check out this thread

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18202

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cracking job Jason - I see why you put the blowtorch over the haft now - looks good. The cover is quirky and I like it. Part of the point of this for me was to have a stress free experiment - I'm tempted to get another and play with haft length too - I think it would balance nice on a 20" haft. Anyway - hope the rib doesn't stop you popping into the meet at Daves place? Weekend of the 1st !

Red

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
British Red said:
Cracking job Jason - I see why you put the blowtorch over the haft now - looks good. The cover is quirky and I like it. Part of the point of this for me was to have a stress free experiment - I'm tempted to get another and play with haft length too - I think it would balance nice on a 20" haft. Anyway - hope the rib doesn't stop you popping into the meet at Daves place? Weekend of the 1st !

Red

Should be fine by then BR and with any luck I'll have made a new sheath too ;) I really do like these axes, wish I could get a smaller one in the same style for the same price!

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Right thats it, this is version 2 :rolleyes: and Im not making anymore!

axesheath2.jpg

Im satisfied with this one, but if I was making it again I'd use thicker leather, just didnt want to waste my best stuff experimenting!

soup_monger

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 30, 2005
EDINBURGH AND PERTH
Great sheath Jason. :)
I'm still reducing the size of the £10 Wetterling and then I'm going to re haft it.
The poll is much harder than the rest of the head on my one.
Heavy going with a file.
It'll be ready for the summer at this rate. :rolleyes:

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
I'm working at a snails pace on mine too!

That epoxy stuff they put in the eye goes over an inch or so. Its so hard it kept on draining the battery on my rechargable drill.

I'll definitely be reshafting it as I think its far too head heavy.

Had half a hide delivered today. I'm gonna see if I can figure out a Roselli Styleee sheath tonight (minus the buckle - haven't found one yet)

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Even with a load of powertools at hand I spent a good many hours grinding away, its not a quick job by any means but it will be worth it for the satisfaction once youve done. The Banko was relatively soft except for the edge, there was a very distinct hard zone extending about 1 3/4" inches back from the edge.

Scruff, I'm surprised the resin is so deep, shame they didnt take the haft all the way through the eye, still I guess theyll probably hold up ok, Im not pulling mine apart unless it comes loose. I do agree theyre a bit head heavy.

I still think theyre a great axe for the money but I doubt mine will get much use, its just too big for most of my axe needs atm. After Ive spent all this time working on it, it will probably end up sitting in a cupboard until i get my smallholding in the woods with a real fire and I'll carry on using one of my smaller cheap axes for bushcraft :rolleyes:

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
I was VERY surprised about the resin but I think its safe to say that the head is secure. Maybe its common practice for some axes, military spec for these ones in particular.

I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone having a go at removing it.

Pity it won't be a user after all that work, it looks splendid (as does Reds). I guess the enjoyment in these projects is as much in 'doing' them as it is in using them :confused:

For me its a lesson in patience! and a good test of my leather skills (or lack of 'em!)

Can't wait to see Soup's job!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE