Which Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
After purchasing one of these in the first batch (mines a Wetterlings :p ) i've been reading this and thinking about giving it some tlc. Its already been touched up to a good edge but I only removed as much paint as needed.

Very nice work Red and Jason01. Your tips will be very helpful :thanks: :approve:

I did wonder though (maybe I missed it) but has anyone taken a look under the wax yet??

I've always been a bit suspect of axes, hammers etc 'topped off' like this as you can never tell how far or well its been 'hafted'. Is it covering up any ugly mistakes?

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
rapidboy said:
I always believe that you get what you pay for and while the GB's seem expensive at first, in use they really are worth every penny.
GB gets my vote every time.

I have been asked to make a couple of sheath's for the swedish army axe's so i ordered one from genuinearmysurplus and i will try to get some pics up of that beside a GB and compare them as soon as possible.

rb

Hi RB,

I succumbed to one of these axes too and, as the plastic guard that it comes with broke the first time I took it off, I thought I would design a sheath for it.

Having never done anything like it before I’ve made a pattern out of paper which I think is brilliant, but it is probably wholly impractical to make it out of leather.

If possible, please could you post a picture of an axe sheath you have made before, so I could get some tips on how a master would tackle the problem?

Ta

AJB

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
scruff said:
After purchasing one of these in the first batch (mines a Wetterlings :p ) i've been reading this and thinking about giving it some tlc. Its already been touched up to a good edge but I only removed as much paint as needed.

Very nice work Red and Jason01. Your tips will be very helpful :thanks: :approve:

I did wonder though (maybe I missed it) but has anyone taken a look under the wax yet??

I've always been a bit suspect of axes, hammers etc 'topped off' like this as you can never tell how far or well its been 'hafted'. Is it covering up any ugly mistakes?
No, And I should have <blushing>. I'm tied up all week, so if you hook yours out can you post a pic?

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
scanker said:
Excellent instructions, thanks fellas. I've already taken "before" photos, so I'll be able to show progress.

:)
Excellent - stick the befores up and a few work in progresses if you can - I'm loving this - how many other forums would a group of people all do the same task without it becoming a competition :confused:

(By the way Jason is ahead on points for grinding out the forge marks :togo: )

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
British Red said:
No, And I should have <blushing>. I'm tied up all week, so if you hook yours out can you post a pic?

Red

I'll try...try being the operative word as my digi cam is 'annoying' me.

ps. he's only winning in your eyes....some of us may like a forged finish :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
scruff said:
I'll try...try being the operative word as my digi cam is 'annoying' me.

ps. he's only winning in your eyes....some of us may like a forged finish :)
Looking forward to seeing the others - mine is errrm "workmanlike", but at least better than the gopping blue paint! I look forward to seeing yours! Check out the damascus axes on another thread though wow! Trouble is of course I would be scared to use em

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
British Red said:
Looking forward to seeing the others - mine is errrm "workmanlike", but at least better than the gopping blue paint! I look forward to seeing yours! Check out the damascus axes on another thread though wow! Trouble is of course I would be scared to use em

I'd revel at the pleasure of being able to weild one of those works of art....and really make the most of it. They are pretty darn amazing.

I started trying to chip out that red 'stuff' in the eye last night but was getting no where fast. It sure ain't wax or paint (I think) its some kind of plastic :confused:

Looks like it may take a while to get to clean it out.

I'll keep you informed.

themac

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
Milton Keynes
After watching this thread I felt the need to buy an axe, odd as I have manged all my life without one so far :)

Would Nitromors or similar be ok to use on the axe head? Not really knowing anything about metal/tempers etc etc I have no idea if the chemical would cause some issue.

Cheers

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
themac said:
After watching this thread I felt the need to buy an axe, odd as I have manged all my life without one so far :)

Would Nitromors or similar be ok to use on the axe head? Not really knowing anything about metal/tempers etc etc I have no idea if the chemical would cause some issue.

Cheers
Themac,

The one I cleaned up earlier was done with wet and dry in front of the tv (Fiona is understanding). Ordinary coarse sandpaper will clean paint off too - an electric sander or angle grinder are also good. Nitromors would be okay, but beware contact with the glue anchoring the head to the haft unless you are prepared to re-seat and re haft (which would mean destroying the existing haft)

Red

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Okay I got going at trying to remove the 'red stuff' in the socket last night.

If any one else is considering I'd say dont!

Its turning out to be a bit of a mission. So far I haven't used any power tools yet so its been a bit slow. My Black & Decker/Dremel thingy went *poof* on me last week which is a real shame 'cos I could have really done with it for this job.

Anyway I've been using an old Frosts Crook knife to try and get some of the stuff out and its a time consuming process. The stuff is really quite hard, and doesn't melt or ignite easily. I tried to burn a shaving or two to see what would happen.

I'm currently about 6.5mm down and no sign of the wood yet.

Will keep you posted.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Mine arrived today, bigger than i expected.
Here it is beside a GB SFA.

444_4477_1.jpg

444_4475_1.jpg

I havent tried it yet but i expect it to split very well.
When i have time i will remove the paint and tidy it up but for the money it's great.
My edge is nice and straight, not a razor like a GB but it shouldn't take much to sort it out.

rb

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Must admit Im impressed with mine, takes a shaving sharp edge very easily though Ive now ground the edge on mine back while Im working on it so will have to sharpen all over again! It's a bit bigger than I really need as I think Red said its like a small size felling axe but the heavy head also works well for fine work IMO. With a good edge on it if you get your hand right up to the top the heavy head will do all the work for you for shaping a spoon or whatever and allows very good control.

TBH this little fella has been fine for my bushcraft needs for years, looks daft next to the Banko though lol but much less painful to carry!

axes2.jpg

Just a note to say I dont know why the litle one looks so battered in the pic, the haft hasnt been knocked around or anything although it is over 30 years old and very dry so does need replacing it isnt actually abused under the head as it appears in the picture ;)

Though when I think of the state of some of the axes Ive used on farms :rolleyes: over the years, these were owned by people that heated their homes with wood and used these loose headed things passing for axes with no edge every day not like us w/e bushcrafters, how did they manage ;) I spose splitting logs for the stove is not all that demanding of the tool as long as its heavy and tapered!

Has anyone else noticed a distinct area of hardness extending about 2 1/2" back from the edge on the Banko, wouldnt be surprised if it would produce a hamon.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
jason01 said:
Must admit Im impressed with mine, takes a shaving sharp edge very easily though Ive now ground the edge on mine back while Im working on it so will have to sharpen all over again! It's a bit bigger than I really need as I think Red said its like a small size felling axe but the heavy head also works well for fine work IMO. With a good edge on it if you get your hand right up to the top the heavy head will do all the work for you for shaping a spoon or whatever and allows very good control.

TBH this little fella has been fine for my bushcraft needs for years, looks daft next to the Banko though lol but much less painful to carry!

axes2.jpg

Just a note to say I dont know why the litle one looks so battered in the pic, the haft hasnt been knocked around or anything although it is over 30 years old and very dry so does need replacing it isnt actually abused under the head as it appears in the picture ;)

Though when I think of the state of some of the axes Ive used on farms :rolleyes: over the years, these were owned by people that heated their homes with wood and used these loose headed things passing for axes with no edge every day not like us w/e bushcrafters, how did they manage ;) I spose splitting logs for the stove is not all that demanding of the tool as long as its heavy and tapered!

Has anyone else noticed a distinct area of hardness extending about 2 1/2" back from the edge on the Banko, wouldnt be surprised if it would produce a hamon.
Jason,

Aww it pupped lol

Is that haft loose on the little un? If not, why not give it an oil bath? Get a waste paper bin and stand the axe in (head upwards). Fill with vegetable oil to just below the head. The wood will soak it right up. Finish off with wire wool. Or just do what I do - J cloth covered in your oil of choice and kept in the living room with the oil (in a ziplock bag for smell). Keep the axe there too and wipe over every time you pass it.

Not to be done with teak oil or linssed oil though - the rag can catch fire if not washed out after use (I use sesame and its fine)

Red

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
British Red said:
Jason,

Aww it pupped lol

Is that haft loose on the little un? If not, why not give it an oil bath? Get a waste paper bin and stand the axe in (head upwards). Fill with vegetable oil to just below the head. The wood will soak it right up. Finish off with wire wool. Or just do what I do - J cloth covered in your oil of choice and kept in the living room with the oil (in a ziplock bag for smell). Keep the axe there too and wipe over every time you pass it.

Not to be done with teak oil or linssed oil though - the rag can catch fire if not washed out after use (I use sesame and its fine)

Red

Its not loose Red but its so dry I think its past saving and its cracked at the lower end, I might give it a soak though to keep it going for a bit longer as Im not sure when I'll get round to re hafting, I have another old un waiting for a new haft but its nothing special and has been superseded by the Banko now :) Ive given the Banko some sesame oil and it does smell nice ;) back onto coating it with linseed now though, I do like linseed! I think Im going to get it sopping wet today and wrap it with cling film as I have a roll of container wrap lying around the stuff they bind pallets with. You can always keep linseed soaked cloths in a jam jar, works for french polish rubbers too :)

soup_monger said:
Thats quite a polish job you've done on the Banko jason, looks great.
I like the scorched handle too.
I'm still removing lumps of steel from mine. :D

Its quite a job isnt it! Look forward to seeing it finished :) I think our Banko's will be rarer than Wetterlings ;)

Only trouble is, now Ive got one decent axe I fancy another small one in a similar style to keep it company and a carving axe :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE