Small axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
View attachment 84307
Bill hook.

Most don’t have the back blade.

This is the tool we used for gathering small Christmas trees.
We used it for pea stick (First) thinning too.

Pretty much the same pattern as mine but without the hole, and probably twice as thick.

This is sort of my point. They all look a bit alike, but they're really not. Just see A Load of Old Billhooks to illustrate. Are we talking a particularly heavy pattern? Or light? Avoid two-handed? Or not? Or does it actually not matter at all (gasp!) and the dozens of different designs were "just because" all along? Which would be a valid answer, but I will admit, surprising.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
They are just a simple tool often made to a local pattern (sickles and hedging hooks more so.). I suspect that you’d buy the local one and just get used to it.

We didn’t have a choice, we were just issued with one
Our crops are way behind 20 to 25 on first thinnings at the moment. You’d struggle with a bill hook :D

Oh I’m talking little three to four foots. An old guy called Eric used to disappear into Blakemere and cut hundreds of little natural regen. I doubt we sold a quarter of them. I’m guessing that a lot ended up at Chester Zoo as browse)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
This is sort of my point. They all look a bit alike, but they're really not. Just see A Load of Old Billhooks to illustrate. Are we talking a particularly heavy pattern? Or light? Avoid two-handed? Or not? Or does it actually not matter at all (gasp!) and the dozens of different designs were "just because" all along? Which would be a valid answer, but I will admit, surprising.
There used to be a coppicer who frequented here years ago - he was a big fan of the newton pattern. I bought one and have never regretted it.

Springchicken

Aug 29, 2005
Northants.
If splitting is your axe's prime function, it is definitely worth thinking about the Roselli axe. It may look odd, but it does the job brilliantly - and does pretty well when felling or trimming things.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE